Moparts

Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks?

Posted By: 300by500

Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/20/24 11:30 PM

Wife and I are gonna be near Bonneville in our RV the first Sunday in August and I'd love to watch some Land Speed Racing!

We're gonna be in an RV. Has anyone here camped on Salt Lake during Speed Weeks?
Posted By: topside

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/21/24 12:24 AM

I've been to the Bonneville Salt Flats, but the timing never coincided with an event.
I thought everyone stayed in Wendover, but I'm not all that familiar with the scene.
Definite bucket list item, though.
Posted By: A12

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/21/24 12:39 AM

No but I have watched "The World's Fastest Indian" a couple of times and enjoyed it grin wink

I think it would be great fun, not just the time trials but talking to the participants and just watching the activities and hearing and seeing the vehicles. If I had the chance to going during the event I would GO!
Posted By: Neil

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/21/24 01:23 AM

Have not myself, but know a couple people who have been there. This is what I recall them telling me years ago:

Sun on the salt is super intense so you'll need a good hat, sunscreen, and shades.

Supposedly the cars are raced pretty far from spectator's viewpoint so may want to bring some binoculars?

Longer downtime between runs to clear the lengthy course so don't expect cars to go down at the same rate as what you would see at a dragstrip.

Don't drive a good older car on the salt unless you plan to thoroughly clean every nook and cranny of it later. By later they mean asap.

Don't stray from the designated drive zones. People have been known to do stupid stuff and get stuck in softer parts of it that have moisture under it.
Posted By: A12

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/21/24 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Neil
Have not myself, but know a couple people who have been there. This is what I recall them telling me years ago:

Sun on the salt is super intense so you'll need a good hat, sunscreen, and shades.

Supposedly the cars are raced pretty far from spectator's viewpoint so may want to bring some binoculars?

Longer downtime between runs to clear the lengthy course so don't expect cars to go down at the same rate as what you would see at a dragstrip.

Don't drive a good older car on the salt unless you plan to thoroughly clean every nook and cranny of it later. By later they mean asap.

Don't stray from the designated drive zones. People have been known to do stupid stuff and get stuck in softer parts of it that have moisture under it.

This one jumps out at me that maybe get a rental in town and leave your own vehicle at the motel?
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/21/24 01:10 PM

If you’ve never been sunburned under your chin….. here’s your chance!!
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/21/24 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by J_BODY
If you’ve never been sunburned under your chin….. here’s your chance!!

Good advice. Also the bottom of your nose, and your legs, even with long pants on. Sun bounces off the salt and up your pants.
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/21/24 07:18 PM

I know one guy that has been and he really enjoyed it.

He went with some guys in a motorhome and said that was a real plus.
Posted By: Neil

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/21/24 07:40 PM

They sell UV rated t-shirts for people who work outside a lot, and if it were me I'd be looking into something like that if I was going to spend a few days on the salt.
Posted By: grancuda

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/22/24 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by Neil

This one jumps out at me that maybe get a rental in town and leave your own vehicle at the motel?

Within a few hundred mile radius of Bonneville, rental car companies will have you sign saying you will not drive on the salt flats & you will get a big cleaning bill if they find you did drive on the salt.

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/22/24 03:09 AM

We went in 2017 on a 2 week camping trip all over that part of the country, Yellowstone, Rushmore, Bonneville, etc..,
Lots of fun, Bonneville was the cheapest destination to camp/spectate.
The best places to spectate imo are starting line, pit area & tech tents. The runs are so far off you can see with binoculars but not too exciting to watch.
Wherever you set-up to watch/hang out under a canopy or whatever your base area is on the salt, needs to have a tarp staked down for you to be on, if you walk around all day in 1 area on the salt, you will end up “digging” that area down & when you leave, there would be a low spot.
Best to go as soon as Speedweek starts because as cars break, they leave so towards the end of the week, not many cars may be around to watch/checkout.
Big car show in the evening at the beginning of the week at the Golden Nugget is a must.
If you are taking dogs, they need shoes & tinted goggles, the salt will be all over their paws & they will get really dehydrated/sick cleaning it off.
You can camp at “The bend in the road” for free just be aware rain will very quickly make that area a lake.
It’s a blast & can’t wait to get back out there.

Attached picture IMG_5047.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_5043.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_5046.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_5049.jpeg

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/22/24 03:12 AM

More pics, took hundreds the 2 days we were there…lol

The pic at sunset is not on the salt, it’s at the bend in the road camping area.

Attached picture IMG_5048.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_5044.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_1306.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_1304.jpeg
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/22/24 04:47 AM

Cool pics. thumbs
Posted By: 300by500

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/22/24 12:50 PM

Some awesome replies here! Thanks, guys! up
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/22/24 01:14 PM

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=tips+for+going+to+bonneville+speed+week
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/22/24 02:17 PM

Yes, especially if you are interested in that form of motor sports. Interesting at the willingness of participants to share information their racing program. Do your research before going and also be prepared for it to be canceled if trac conditions are favorable for racing.

https://www.landracing.com/

https://saltflats.com/

Utah Timing Association runs later in the year. They are a little more laid back.
Posted By: Remy-Z

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/22/24 09:30 PM

Went in 2009. Camped in that Monte Carlo at the "Bend In The Road" overnight. Only got to see about a day's worth of tech, no runs. But there is nothing like standing in the middle of the Salt on a full moon night. You'll swear you're standing on the Moon.

Attached picture Remy-Z-Bonneville-2009_22.jpg
Posted By: Barry70GTX

Re: Anyone here who has gone to Bonneville Speedweeks? - 03/25/24 12:25 PM

grancuda nailed it.
Moparts member Lifsgrt after a 231+ run

Attached picture 20210811_122524.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums