Moparts

Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe

Posted By: That AMC Guy

Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe - 03/04/24 04:40 AM

A local shop is upgrading and since I'm in pretty tight with the owner, he's offered me some shop equipment at more than reasonable prices. This weekend, despite the weather, we dragged home a Hunter computerized balancer and an FMC B601 brake lathe. Also, a boat load of the accessories as well. All I seem to be missing for the lathe are two bell clamps.... oddly, one of the largest ones and one of the smallest ones. The balancer, all that was missing was the caliper for measuring rim width but I got a new one on the way already from Amazon for $30.

In regards to the lathe though, I can see through the sight glass that it's low on oil. It didn't come with a manual, sadly. Does anybody know what kind of oil these would use?

Spent most of the weekend cleaning everything up. Even been using my Ultra Sonic to clean all the cones and whatnot. Hopefully, I can find some bell clamps and more accessories at the Portland Swapmeet next month.

Attached picture Fat Slav Garage 003.JPG
Posted By: CrazyD

Re: Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe - 03/04/24 05:02 AM

Is this your manual?

Operators Manual
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe - 03/04/24 02:15 PM

That is really cool. Sadly today's services techs just replace parts not service them.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe - 03/04/24 02:37 PM

After having a couple of rotor jobs screwed up by the 'professionals' at the local auto supply, we also bought a good used unit. And have never regretted it for a minute.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe - 03/04/24 02:46 PM

Thats awesome ! Wish I had picked up some "old" shop equipment when it was available . . . I remember cutting drums & rotors when I was going to school and had part time job at local shop. Oil changes, shocks, tires, and getting to learn to do brakes . . . even offered me an apprenticeship when I graduated from trade school (I took Electrical Engineering Technology) . . . gotta say, glad I stayed in electrical and being mechanic as my hobby !! . . . . always great to see these shop equipment snapped up by those that know how to use them !!
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe - 03/04/24 08:01 PM

Cool. One of those things that's rarely needed but handy to have when you do. A buddy of mine had one in his shop he rarely used. Don't know what happened to it when he closed.

Re: Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe - 03/05/24 06:19 AM

In my case, it's always a day late and a dollar short. I could've *REALLY* used it a few years ago when I put new drums on my Maxi Blue Hornet. Car vibrated like mad when brakes were applied. Turned out, brand new Raybestos brakes weren't round. Luckily, that was a solid decade ago when there were still local shops willing to take on a job like that, but sure would've saved me --- easily the cost of the machine itself --- to do it myself. Next time, I'll be prepared.

Same reason why one of my next acquisitions will be a hydraulic press. When I redid the suspension on my Gremlin, it cost me $600 to have a local shop press in EIGHT bushings.... and they even screwed up two of them. I've got my Javelin to rebuild, plus my Hornet, probably the truck and an SX/4 if I ever get one. The press will pay for itself in short order.

I'm probably going to get really popular when the tire machine shows up. A tire changeover these days is easily $100-$125. Not to mention how many of us drag home "Cool" old wheels with junky tires on them? Almost not worth dragging them into town to have somebody pop the old rubber off. Again, the tire machine should pay for itself in no time. It's also one of those nice, overheard arm style, too!

The older I get, the more I learn that jobs are so much easier with the right tools. Like a Mopar Ball Joint socket, a GM lock-plate hold-down, or even the proper wrench to hold a water pump pulley that has a threaded-on fan clutch. There are tools out there made to eliminate ball-ache.

Re: Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe - 03/05/24 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyD
Is this your manual?

Operators Manual

Close enough!! Thanks!! Now to find some straight 90-weight oil!!

Re: Just picked up some shop equipment; FMC brake lathe - 03/05/24 06:21 AM

The balancer is a beast. Luckily I have 220v in the shop!!

Attached picture Fat Slav Garage 001.JPG
Attached picture Fat Slav Garage 002.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums