Moparts

Motortrend stopping streaming service?

Posted By: migsBIG

Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 03:57 AM

So I came across a random news posting that said the channel Motortrend is stopping its streaming service. Does anybody know if that’s for online or are they getting shut down entirely?
Posted By: Jer

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 04:05 AM

Per the notice:
" It’s the end of the road for Warner Bros. Discovery‘s MotorTrend+ automotive streaming service. The media company announced that MotorTrend+ will be shut down after content from the service is fully migrated to Discovery+ and Max at the end of March. The majority of current MotorTrend+ subscribers will be automatically switched over to Discovery+’s ad-free plan by the end of March, retaining their same subscription price. The company said eligible MotorTrend+ subscribers will receive email instructions on how to access Discovery+. MotorTrend+ subs who signed up through certain third-party partners will not be moved over.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 04:05 AM

Read HERE.....

What’s happening to my MotorTrend+ subscription?
On 28 March 2024, if you subscribe to MotorTrend+, one of two things will happen:

You will automatically be a discovery+ (Ad-Free) subscriber and get access to MotorTrend+ video content. To learn more, go to I'll automatically be a discovery+ subscriber.
- OR -
Your subscription will simply end on 28 March 2024 and there will be no further charges. For refund questions, go to My subscription will simply end.
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 04:16 PM

Its also $70/yr now, I canceled
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dart 500
Yikes!
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 05:43 PM

Really? My current subscription is $4.99/mo. $70/year is $5.83/mo.

84 cents is killing you?
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 05:47 PM

mine says it will be 54 a year up from 44 a year. new content of the shows i like come out way too far apart.. i may cancel..
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 08:09 PM

It will also be available on MAX. In fact Discover+ was supposed to turn into MAX but that does not seem to have happened.

We already subscribe to MAX and all the Motor Trend content seems to be their already there so this will actually save me money.

Motor Trend says I can cancel my subscription and they will give me a prorated refund.
Posted By: topside

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 10:10 PM

The thing about MT is there are 2 varieties when it comes to streaming:
One is current programming, and the other is past episodes, most recent being last year.
Not sure how Discovery will deal with that: combine, or 2 tiers of programming, or what.
Viewing past episodes is easy enough that it maybe wise to wait & see what happens before signing up,
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/01/24 10:41 PM

Here's the e-mail I received last week, although I haven't taken any action, yet work

Edit: Just checked and my sub doesn't end until December 2024

Attached picture Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 5.40.10 PM.png

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/02/24 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper

Really? My current subscription is $4.99/mo. $70/year is $5.83/mo.

84 cents is killing you?

Mine was $2.00 per month (promo from years ago), and that's all it was worth to me, I only watched 2-3 shows off and on
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/02/24 02:18 AM

Thanks for the info. I stopped using them after they bumped up their price from $2.99 to $4.99. At $70 a year, not that important enough to watch when I am bored.

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/02/24 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by migsBIG
Thanks for the info. I stopped using them after they bumped up their price from $2.99 to $4.99. At $70 a year, not that important enough to watch when I am bored.

And the shows have been dropping in quality big time. "On this episode of Roadkill I am david frieburger that hasnt slept in 6 months and here's finnegan that just got off the plane from Georgia and has no idea, or care, whats going on as he's just here for a paycheck"
Posted By: Devil

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 01:14 AM

Big changes coming at MotorTrend. They fired 150 individuals at the company, including some of the people running Roadkill and other shows.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 03:40 AM

I used to write for them but they made it impossible for me to work anymore and now I think the guy I used to work for is gone. They stopped writing new content a while back, Hot Rod is now mostly just recycled content from earlier years. I think the end is near for all print magazines and maybe even the online stuff.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 04:18 AM

Please bring back Garage Squad. The only show that put together cars with real stories.....cars that are pulled out of garages and put back in service...the way it should be. Enough of the one off, 6 figure, never to be driven crap.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by AndyF
I used to write for them but they made it impossible for me to work anymore and now I think the guy I used to work for is gone. They stopped writing new content a while back, Hot Rod is now mostly just recycled content from earlier years. I think the end is near for all print magazines and maybe even the online stuff.

At last years Holley Moparty a few buddies and me got to talk to a guy that gave us the lowdown on what was going on with Motortrend and the changes that were already going on then.

They didn't want the show hosts to really be the stars, they wanted to be able to plug any body in the spot run the shows.
He is/was one of the TV hosts and is friends with the rest of them.

He talked about how they went out of their way to kill off the print stuff "right now" even though is was already slowly dying but could have survived for years.

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 02:28 PM

Most of the magazines they produced were profitable. But Discovery did not want to be in the publishing business, so they kill them. Even though it was the only thing supporting MotorTrend+, as MT+ has never made a profit in all the years of its existence.

And they won't sell the properties because they don't want someone to make a competing successful brand off of one of their old Intellectual Properties. So they just killed the magazines and let them sit forever.

And now with Hot Rod only being quarterly, they no longer need a bunch of new articles. They only need a handful of new articles a year, so they aren't producing anything extra really anymore. Now until the end they are just going to keep regurgitate old stuff.

Discovery hates the original MotorTrend shows. It goes against everything that they want to do. Just have garbage cheap shows full of drama to entice women into watching, since more often than not the woman is the decision maker in the house. They do not want content that guys like us will watch, because we are such a small niche. I heard this from one of the the execs in a meeting over there a few years ago.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Devil
Most of the magazines they produced were profitable. But Discovery did not want to be in the publishing business, so they kill them. Even though it was the only thing supporting MotorTrend+, as MT+ has never made a profit in all the years of its existence.

And they won't sell the properties because they don't want someone to make a competing successful brand off of one of their old Intellectual Properties. So they just killed the magazines and let them sit forever.

And now with Hot Rod only being quarterly, they no longer need a bunch of new articles. They only need a handful of new articles a year, so they aren't producing anything extra really anymore. Now until the end they are just going to keep regurgitate old stuff.

Discovery hates the original MotorTrend shows. It goes against everything that they want to do. Just have garbage cheap shows full of drama to entice women into watching, since more often than not the woman is the decision maker in the house. They do not want content that guys like us will watch, because we are such a small niche. I heard this from one of the the execs in a meeting over there a few years ago.

So, they are going to pull a bud light?
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 02:39 PM

If there is a demand for auto shows, someone will step up and make them. If there is no demand they'll disappear. What happened to comedy variety shows, Carol Burnett, Ed Sullivan, Sonny and Cher, Rowan and Martin, Red Skelton, Jackie Gleason....
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 04:11 PM

I quit reading that rag 35 years ago, didn't see much value in the shows they had on Motortrend+ so I scoffed when they went to a subscription, no big loss... twocents
Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 05:49 PM

Any loss of anything related to the car hobby is a big loss in my eyes. We need to support this hobby anyway we can. I didn't think MT+ had the best shows out there. But it was probably the only app I could watch that I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be constantly seeing rainbows. Or hearing pronouns. I'm going to be down to OTA TV pretty soon. grin
Posted By: jcc

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/03/24 07:52 PM

I signed up to MT last July 23, I thought for the money it was worthy, binge watched all the Engine Masters.
I noticed in beginning of Dec 23 new content was thinning out, thought maybe that was a seasonal slowdown thing.
Late Jan 24 I posted on another site asking why MT seemed to be going dark.
Got little reaction.
When I got the recent notice of Discovery+ takeover, I canceled.
IMO it would be nice to at least archive the Engine Masters shows, or at the min screen shot all the final conclusion Power graphs of all the dyno runs.
Seems like there is a Cabal death wish on ICE cars/hobby programing in any format. panic
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/05/24 08:24 PM

They got me on a $2 per month black friday special, during Covid Motor Trend On Demand + the engine build + GTX restoration
were the best things ever.....True they have jacked the price since then.

It's the only thing I subscribe to, and I watch it a couple times a month at least so for now I'm content.

+ maybe there's other worthwhile material on discovery. Only one way to find out. If I hate it I'll get rid of it.

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/05/24 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 70VcodeCoronetRT
Any loss of anything related to the car hobby is a big loss in my eyes. We need to support this hobby anyway we can.

car related or not. you want my support you have to earn it. i'm not just blindly supporting something because its a car show. its like like mopars at englishtown many years ago,.. the show turnened into garbage. people said i should support it no matter what. nope not me. you gotta make me want to support it.... in the case with motortrend put programing on that i like, put it out less spread apart. and stop jacking up the price. there is plenty of youtube channels that i can watch instead. if it isn't worth me supporting then i will not support it no matter what we are talking about.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/10/24 07:07 PM

So, how do you cancel your subscription to MT? Or do you just wait for the 25th and see what happens? The email I received said nothing about automatically being moved to and billed for discovery+. shruggy

Attached picture MT.JPG

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/18/24 06:05 PM

Well that’s interesting, mine says I’m being moved over.

Attached picture IMG_9319.png

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/18/24 10:28 PM

Yes, all MotorTrend+ subscribers are being moved to DIscovery+ by March 25th-ish

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/18/24 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
Well that’s interesting, mine says I’m being moved over.

The $2 per month is also ending, its now $60 or $70 per year instead of $24

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/19/24 12:04 AM

I’ll stay, for now.

Might be other worthwhile stuff on discovery, I’m looking forward to checking
It out.

Attached picture IMG_9329.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_9328.jpeg
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/19/24 12:17 AM

I haven't gotten an email about it yet, my yearly plan ends in early April a week or so after the switch.

The plan I had was $49.99 a year and when I log into MotorTrend it say renewal will be $56.99 a year.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/19/24 05:33 PM

It’s obvious from the content in the latest Hot Rod quarterly rag that old content is the norm. Won’t be long before Hot Rod magazine will be a thing of the past.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/20/24 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by dart4forte

It’s obvious from the content in the latest Hot Rod quarterly rag that old content is the norm. Won’t be long before Hot Rod magazine will be a thing of the past.

as one who dearly loves to read, and like studying for a test, re-reads things multiple times, i believe you are correct about magazines demise is quickly approaching.
beer
Posted By: JD340

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 03/22/24 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jer
Per the notice:
" It’s the end of the road for Warner Bros. Discovery‘s MotorTrend+ automotive streaming service. The media company announced that MotorTrend+ will be shut down after content from the service is fully migrated to Discovery+ and Max at the end of March. The majority of current MotorTrend+ subscribers will be automatically switched over to Discovery+’s ad-free plan by the end of March, retaining their same subscription price. The company said eligible MotorTrend+ subscribers will receive email instructions on how to access Discovery+. MotorTrend+ subs who signed up through certain third-party partners will not be moved over.

As a Discovery+ subscriber, this is GREAT news for me!

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 04/02/24 06:43 PM

One notice says they will grandfather in the old price, another one says the price goes up about 2.58 per month.

Whatever.

I don't subscribe to anything else and it looks like there are some worthwhile programs there, so I am thinking I need to see this through and try it.
Especially so I can share it with my wife, who's had me on her Netflix forever. I don't watch any of it too often, but when I do....I really do.

Seems to work fine on Discovery and I haven't found anything to complain about.

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 04/02/24 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ZIPPY
I’ll stay, for now.

Might be other worthwhile stuff on discovery, I’m looking forward to checking
It out.

looks to be some decent stuff on it. i'll stay for now until i get a better look at whays on.
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Motortrend stopping streaming service? - 04/30/24 05:36 PM

Quick update on this subject. I paid for my MT+ sub in December and was notified it would be moved to DiscoveryPlus on March 25th.

The other day I tried to log into DiscoveryPlus per the notification that I could use the same Id and pwd as before, but kept getting kicked back. Couldn't get things worked out until today when I got on their online chat to figure out the issue. Turns out that instead of transferring my account per the earlier e-mail, I was cancelled and given a $40 pro-rated refund back in March 28th.

I told the rep that I wasn't thrilled with how this was handled on the DiscoveryPlus side. He offered me a 50% disc for a 1-year renewal to make up for it, but I declined (decided to save my $ and have one less reason to hang out online or on the TV).

YMMV
© 2024 Moparts Forums