Moparts

Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept?

Posted By: tallzag

Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/17/23 10:09 PM

Well here is your chance to see what paperwork the dealer had when you ordered your muscle car in 1970. This is a video of a folder from a closed down Chrysler Plymouth dealer called Duarte and Witting in Martinez, California. I have traveled all over the country trying to find this stuff and it just fascinates me. How dealers ordered cars, what percentage were performance cars, mistakes made along the way, etc etc. If anybody knows of any dealers that have been around forever ask them if they have any of this stuff. Can’t tell you how many times we have gotten to a dealer and just been told “just threw it all away”. Chrysler has no records past 1967 so this stuff is the only record of most of these cars. Hope you all enjoy the video!

https://youtu.be/eetFkl1u3mk?si=vW8TvGFy_ViVL13r
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/18/23 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by tallzag
Chrysler has no records past 1967

This is false. I can get the punch card for my 51 detailing how it was built and the dealer it was shipped to from Chrysler Historical.

Example

https://p15-d24.com/topic/26107-build-card-decoding/
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/18/23 12:32 AM

Guest privileges have been turned off on that site.

Re: Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/18/23 12:50 AM

Too many scammers. I'll see if I can link the pic of the card

[Linked Image]

Re: Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/18/23 02:14 AM

No records after 1967, before is of course available.

Re: Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/18/23 03:00 AM

My mistake, lol. I read before instead of what you wrote
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/18/23 08:39 AM

I've been told post-'67 they do still have the punch cards; or a surprising amount of them, anyway.
The problem is; there is no longer a functional system to use those punch cards in.

From what I've been told, the information on the punch cards was used to print the build sheet, among other things, probably even process the build order. . I'm sure it could collate many things.

If someone could locate the program used, build a functional system for reading the cards, and then have some new tractor-paper blank build sheets made.... there's a possibility of re-printing new build sheets.

But that's an awful lot of work.

Re: Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/18/23 02:40 PM

Have heard that rumor too but never seen any evidence to back it up.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/18/23 02:47 PM

I attempted to do that with a local dealership that went under in '85 as one of my cars was sold through them. The widow of the owner, and I quote, "under advice of my lawyer, any documentation that I didn't have to retain for tax purposes should be shredded. So that's what I did".
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: Ever Wondered What Paperwork The Dealer Kept? - 12/20/23 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by That AMC Guy

I've been told post-'67 they do still have the punch cards; or a surprising amount of them, anyway.
The problem is; there is no longer a functional system to use those punch cards in.

From what I've been told, the information on the punch cards was used to print the build sheet, among other things, probably even process the build order. . I'm sure it could collate many things.

If someone could locate the program used, build a functional system for reading the cards, and then have some new tractor-paper blank build sheets made.... there's a possibility of re-printing new build sheets.

But that's an awful lot of work.

I have items from the original selling dealer, that sold my Plymouth brand new.
Such as: the sales invoice, the window sticker, the owners manual. Along with the Broadcast sheet,
And the original title in the first owners name. After I bought my car, I tried to research the dealer, but found it had closed down a few decades ago. Although the same family is doing business as a local trucking company. I asked them if they kept any paperwork at all or
any dealer related paraphernalia...they said it was all dumped when the dealer closed up.
But anyway...as far as the punch cards are concerned. My father's job at Chrysler, was to generate and process the IBM
TAB cards, as an IBM computer operator, in his department. He did that job for over 23 years.... (starting in 1963)
Before his untimely death, at 49. In the years before he died, he was promoted to shift supervisor of his department.
© 2024 Moparts Forums