Moparts

Stellantis' New Hurricane 6

Posted By: dogdays

Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/27/23 10:25 PM

I just read this today, the new replacement engine from STLA is as we know, 3 liter, turbocharged, WITH A 4 MAIN JOURNAL CRANK! It joins the Slant 6, my Landcruiser's 2F and millions of other old-fashioned six-cylinders.
What were they thinking? Save a few pounds? inches?

Good-bye to the GIII Hemi and hello to a Slant Six rehash? Hope it's better than a Multi-Air four.

Poop!
R.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/27/23 11:18 PM

One version is 500+hp is my guess what they were thinking.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/27/23 11:22 PM

People always decry the Slant ONLY having 4 mains, but even in turbo motors making 5 to 600 horse we have very little trouble with cranks or bearings.
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/28/23 01:14 AM

Looks like they resurrected the willys hurricane name and motor?
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/28/23 01:25 AM

Linky -> wikipedia/Stellantis Hurricane engine <-
Posted By: 360view

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/28/23 07:02 PM

sample quote

Technologies designed to reduce emissions and fuel consumption without sacrificing power and torque for towing include:

Ultra-thin Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (PTWA) spray coating in cylinder bores for lighter, low-friction wear surface, instead of cast-in-place or pressed-in iron liners. Stellantis says this technology (already used by automakers such as Ford and Nissan) is 10 times more wear-resistant than conventional liners.

Engine start-stop functionality with robust starter motor for quick restarts

Engine-mounted water-to-air charge cooler with dedicated cooling circuit (single inlet for SO/dual inlet for HO)

Dual water-cooled exhaust manifolds integrated in cylinder head

Continuously variable displacement oil pump with integrated scavenge stage tailors pump output to engine demand, reducing frictional losses

Asked why Stellantis forged ahead and swallowed the expense of an all-new engine rather than partnering with BMW, which has vast experience with turbocharged inline six-cylinder engines, Bly turned the tables.

“We’re open to anyone who would like to use this engine,” he says.

end quote

from

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a39525460/stellantis-hurricane-engine-details/
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/28/23 08:08 PM

It will be interesting to see how the bottom end holds up on these. I would guess the materials are far superior to what we had decades ago.

I hate to be pessimistic but I feel as though a weak spot will rear it's ugly head, as seems to be the case with every engine these days e.g. GenIII lifters, Pentastar head, Ecopoops carbon buildup and intercooler condensation.....Chevy lifters issue from '14-'21. Cost cutting shortcuts, and decreasing weight seem to plague every new engine design.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/29/23 04:54 AM

Can't silence the voice in my head telling me a Hurricane engine is an old 4 cylinder Jeep flathead motor.
Posted By: ackpht

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/29/23 05:29 AM

Dodge will get us through this. They know their market.

I think in the long run the worst we can expect is the sound will be different.

Posted By: poorboy

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/30/23 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by ackpht

You are more optimistic then I am. I believe the worst we can expect is another 4.7 or another 2.7.

They want another smoldering pile of junk at 150K miles, so you will run out and buy another one.

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/30/23 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy

You are more optimistic then I am. I believe the worst we can expect is another 4.7 or another 2.7.

They want another smoldering pile of junk at 150K miles, so you will run out and buy another one.

Yup, they finally got rid of that slanted motor nobody could kill. work
Posted By: Jer

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/30/23 02:36 AM

You're more optimistic than I am about this. I can see Stellantis killing off Chrysler and Dodge.
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/30/23 10:25 AM

One can judge reliability and quality of this new inline 6 engine by looking at competitors similar products. That being said how will this engine be better than the Ford Ecoboost line? I mean those Ecoboost engines have early and EXPENSIVE failures that are on the purchaser to pay for. It's not like Stellantis makes a superior engine to Ford. My guess is this hyped inline 6 cyl will cut the same corners as Ford does thus leaving many customers upset with the same type of problems Fords engines do.
Posted By: d-150

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/30/23 09:08 PM

I would rather turbo a straight six then a v 6.hope it ain't like the 1500 diesel
Posted By: 360view

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 11/30/23 09:26 PM

Asked why Stellantis forged ahead and swallowed the expense of an all-new engine rather than partnering with BMW, which has vast experience with turbocharged inline six-cylinder engines, Bly turned the tables.

End Quote

Anyone know of an USA based independent engine builder who specializes in the BMW 6 cylinder engine
who could comment on differences in design of the Hurricane 6 compared to typical BMW ?
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 12/01/23 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2boltmain
One can judge reliability and quality of this new inline 6 engine by looking at competitors similar products. That being said how will this engine be better than the Ford Ecoboost line? I mean those Ecoboost engines have early and EXPENSIVE failures that are on the purchaser to pay for. It's not like Stellantis makes a superior engine to Ford. My guess is this hyped inline 6 cyl will cut the same corners as Ford does thus leaving many customers upset with the same type of problems Fords engines do.

I wouldn't buy the first generation of it, let the public sort out any issues it has in current form, they will fix them and debut a gen 2 that is dialed.
Posted By: a12rag

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 12/01/23 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by 360view
sample quote

Technologies designed to reduce emissions and fuel consumption without sacrificing power and torque for towing include:

Ultra-thin Plasma Transfer Wire Arc (PTWA) spray coating in cylinder bores for lighter, low-friction wear surface, instead of cast-in-place or pressed-in iron liners. Stellantis says this technology (already used by automakers such as Ford and Nissan) is 10 times more wear-resistant than conventional liners.

Engine start-stop functionality with robust starter motor for quick restarts

Engine-mounted water-to-air charge cooler with dedicated cooling circuit (single inlet for SO/dual inlet for HO)

Dual water-cooled exhaust manifolds integrated in cylinder head

Continuously variable displacement oil pump with integrated scavenge stage tailors pump output to engine demand, reducing frictional losses

“We’re open to anyone who would like to use this engine,” he says.

end quote

from

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a39525460/stellantis-hurricane-engine-details/

"Exhaust Manifolds integrated in cylinder head" . . . engineer speak for exhaust manifold cast with the head ! . . . so much for any upgrades . . . Ford did this with intake manifold on their 6cyl engines in the 60's - no performance there at all !! . . . oh well, the youngsters are the "new" engineers that KNOW IT ALL . . .
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 12/01/23 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by a12rag
oh well, the youngsters are the "new" engineers that KNOW IT ALL . . .

Millennials are viewed as having all the answers, regardless of profession.

Why? I have absolutely no idea.

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 12/01/23 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by moparmike1

\Curious, what generation did not think they had all the answers?

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 12/01/23 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by moparmike1

\Curious, what generation did not think they had all the answers?

Fair question.

I'm Generation X, born in 1967.

I don't assume I have all the answers regardless of the situation. When I go into a situation I'm not familiar with, I observe, ask questions and learn. Then, based on that and if there's room for improvement, I try to improve the situation.

In my work, IT, I've observed that a large majority of millennials go into situations and start offering their input as to how to improve. Observing, listening, asking questions? Why bother when that takes time and gets in their way?

There are plenty of "new" approaches that millennials latch on to as well. Lean, agile, etc. New names for being efficient. Reinventing the wheel without learning from those with experience.

For whatever reason, management loves this and has embraced it.

I could go on and on about what I've seen first-hand in my workplace.

Mike.

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 12/01/23 05:36 PM

I just find it slightly annoying that it seems every generation seems to think (without unbiased comparable evidence) the following generation is lesser than themselves, and so few see that and even less can admit it.
I'm of the boomer generation, but not by choice.

Re: Stellantis' New Hurricane 6 - 12/01/23 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
I just find it slightly annoying that it seems every generation seems to think (without unbiased comparable evidence) the following generation is lesser than themselves, and so few see that and even less can admit it.
I'm of the boomer generation, but not by choice.

To be blunt, I'm annoyed that those within my age range and line of work have been pushed aside with the attitude that the next generation, i.e. millennials, have all the answers but have yet to prove themselves.

The phrase "fake it till you make it" comes to my mind quite a bit when thinking of my workplace. The only thing is, once I see someone "make it", all of a sudden the "fake it" part is forgotten. Whatever they said they could do is no longer important or relevant.

Can I say that about all millennials in all lines of work? Of course not. My comments are based on my experiences.
© 2024 Moparts Forums