Moparts

73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER

Posted By: Dennispsalm91

73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 06:54 PM

Just got the call, the car is done from the paint shop. I need to go get her, she's a roller. Anyone used Uhaul trailer, they say it will fit. Its only a 2 hour drive . Any input would be appreciated.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 07:28 PM

I have used a U haul trailer for a Duster...fit easily with room to spare. twocents
Posted By: Neil

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 07:36 PM

Possible the U-Haul trailer does not have a winch to pull it on?
Posted By: EV2RTSE

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 08:54 PM

I found a local guy on facebook who rents out trailers, he had one with a flatbed and a winch which made picking up my car on casters really easy.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 09:02 PM

My '73 Satellite WAGON fit on a Uhaul trailer no problem.

BUT, all the Uhaul trailers I've used/seen did NOT have a winch or come along on it. Bring friends or bring your own (preferably both)

Attached picture trailer.jpg
Posted By: A12

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 09:48 PM

You can find a cheap small ATV/UTV 12v 3,700 lb. winch for around $60-$75 online or at places like Tractor Supply or with one friend do this......... you only need to watch the first minute to see how it was done. Probably cost you as much for the tow rope and chain and hook as for the ATV/UTV winch.

Posted By: Dennispsalm91

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 10:23 PM

no drivetrain = piece of cake
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 10:41 PM

My Coronet fit a Uhaul traler just fine

Attached picture on-Trailer.jpg
Posted By: CYACOP

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 10:47 PM

Forget that wench, I loaded a full dressed 1972 New Yorker with two come-alongs with ease with the help of my very young son. The wasp nests were the biggest problem.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 11:14 PM

Come on guys, it's a winch, not a wench. panic Pretty significant difference between the two. runaway
Posted By: poorboy

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 11:24 PM

Watch the trailer fenders on the car door. Many car doors do NOT clear the fenders when the car doors are opened. Those first chips on a new paint job are the worst, especially when they happen for dumb reasons.
Posted By: Neil

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/03/23 11:44 PM

Seen that happen. Or the doors clear the fenders just barely when nobody is in the car, and then someone opens the door and jumps inside to put it into park after it's loaded and the extra weight of someone sitting in the car
makes the door drop down enough to hit the fender.

My brother once drove one of his cars onto a borrowed trailer and broke both front mag wheel center caps when they rubbed on the trailer fenders as he drove past them. Nobody would even think that a car trailer wasn't wide enough to drive the car in-between the fenders, but it wasn't.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/04/23 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Come on guys, it's a winch, not a wench. panic Pretty significant difference between the two. runaway

work Not really. They both can pull you in and hold you down. Old crusty ones can cause physical injury too.......

wink
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/04/23 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by SattyNoCar

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

work Not really. They both can pull you in and hold you down. Old crusty ones can cause physical injury too.......

wink

Not to mention psychological and financial injury... work
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/04/23 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy
Watch the trailer fenders on the car door. Many car doors do NOT clear the fenders when the car doors are opened. Those first chips on a new paint job are the worst, especially when they happen for dumb reasons.

The left-hand fender on a U-Haul trailer is hinged and can be lowered so the driver's door will clear with ease. Just remove the rubber hold-downs from their catches on that fender and utilize the hinge to push that fender out of the way. up And I've used a U-Haul Auto Transport to take both my '71 Road Runner and my '68 Barracuda to Carlisle. Both cars fit just fine, um, separately of course...

Attached picture image-975959738.jpg
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/04/23 06:15 PM

I used a U haul to get my 51 Plymouth. A couple of tips. Check the tire pressures, mine were low. Check the lights, make sure they work. Grease the ball. Double check the tie downs after a few miles, things loosen up.

Attached picture 20190910_111044.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/04/23 06:34 PM

For a fairly short distance, I'd consider hiring a rollback tow truck.

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/04/23 08:56 PM

And for sure don't put a cover on it on an open trailer, even at the distance of 2-hours (at 60 mph that's 120 miles or so yes?). The cover can or might burnish the body lines and tops and corners of the fenders and quarters (fenders) flapping in the wind. DAMHIK. Too bad you can't rent an enclosed trailer with a WINCH and take a wench along with you for company wink grin
Posted By: Moparite

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/05/23 02:19 PM

The u haul trailers i rented did not have the the fold down fender. Remember to roll down the window so you can get in and put it in park and hit the parking brake. Come a longs work fine but bring some chain to attach it. You could get a tow dolly also but you have to search for them because not all u hauls carry them.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/05/23 04:36 PM

The silver trailers are the same and should all have the fold down fender, the older ones are hit and miss.

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/05/23 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
The silver trailers are the same and should all have the fold down fender, the older ones are hit and miss.

up yes just check for the latch strap and hinge before you rent it. Haven't seen one without it for years or decades.

Attached picture 20190910_111044aa copy.jpg
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: 73CHALLENGER ON UHAUL TRALER - 11/05/23 05:16 PM

I love the u-haul trailers, easy to use and tow exceptionally well. I don't own a trailer myself so anytime I need to move a car I've used them. 2 people will be able to push a car with no drivetrain onto one pretty easily, I did that with my '68 Charger many years ago. They're also large enough for C bodies!

Attached picture furytrailer.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums