Moparts

Another DOA welder

Posted By: RTSE4ME

Another DOA welder - 10/26/23 02:55 PM

It was a nice machine in terms of operation Miller 140. It ran impressively on 110v. However, a machine like this to lose the motherboard seems like a poor investment to me. So like my Lincoln SquareWave 200 Tig and Optima Yellow top battery it goes on the target practice pile.
I am going to try buying the smaller/cheaper brands(off shore) for welders. No sense in supporting big over priced brands if they won't support you.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/26/23 03:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK_Cn5lxggA

This guy does the best tool reviews on Youtube. He's objective and is not sponsored--buys everting himself. A really good channel.

Worth a watch before your next buy.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/28/23 06:17 PM

Buy a welder that doesn't have "boards"! I have a 30 year old Century welder(bought new)&(before Lincoln bought them out) that i have never had an issue with and still going!
Posted By: CMcAllister

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/28/23 06:21 PM

The people who you buy your equipment from can make a big difference.

I buy a lot of stuff online. A machine like that? I want to be able to go see the guy or call him up. A relationship with a local guy is golden. Worth the extra coin when you need help.
Posted By: A990

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/28/23 06:40 PM

Shop for quality not price.
I found going to the local dealers is the best and safest bet. Except for computers and phones. I buy from the mfg. They usually offer coupons for provider discounts to get you going again.
hth
Ken
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/28/23 07:57 PM

I have a Miller 130 (110V) and a Miller 250 (220V). Both are over 30 years old and have been flawless. Only changed the liners when needed over the years.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/28/23 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
It was a nice machine in terms of operation Miller 140. It ran impressively on 110v. However, a machine like this to lose the motherboard seems like a poor investment to me. So like my Lincoln SquareWave 200 Tig and Optima Yellow top battery it goes on the target practice pile.
I am going to try buying the smaller/cheaper brands(off shore) for welders. No sense in supporting big over priced brands if they won't support you.

Everything breaks.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/28/23 09:01 PM

I've had 2 cheap wire welders over the years. I'm on my 3rd, a millermatic 185, I bought new in 97/98-ish, and wish I'd have not wasted the money on the 2 prior to it. One was an Astro brand and the neuxt one was a century, which is supposed to be part of Lincoln. Both were absolutely crap. I've replaced the liner a few times in the miller, and that's it. My miller is 220v the 2 before it were 110v. I don't Care if I ever use a110v mig again. Junk.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/28/23 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite
Buy a welder that doesn't have "boards"! I have a 30 year old Century welder(bought new)&(before Lincoln bought them out) that i have never had an issue with and still going!

I also have an old Century that I bought around 1992 & it's still going strong.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/29/23 09:25 AM

I had a Miller 252 die during a cross country move and it was days out of warranty. During the process of fixing the 252 my girlfriend at the time bought me a Miller 211. The big, clunky 252 is long gone but the 211 (runs on 110 or 220) has been good for everything up to 3/16. It will do 1/4" plate just not for very long with a 40% duty cycle.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/29/23 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
like my Lincoln SquareWave 200 Tig it goes on the target practice pile.
No sense in supporting big over priced brands if they won't support you.

I'm surprised you couldn't fix the Lincoln. We have a couple old (1970's) LN-8 feeders at work and parts are still available for those. There's alot of support from Lincoln. Miller, not so much.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/29/23 12:09 PM

The Lincoln was an inverter tig with sealed power boards.Lincoln told me over $2k to fix. I paid $1400 for it when they first came out. Probably 10 hours on it so I will fix it with a couple pounds of tannerite. I bought a $800 Tig from Eastwood and maybe I will get their $500 mig.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/29/23 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by Moparite

I also have an old Century that I bought around 1992 & it's still going strong.

The century welder I had was new about the same time as yours was. The astro was probably a Mid to late 80s.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/29/23 01:35 PM

Talking about the different welders. What would be a good unit for someone who has only welded a few times and is looking to get a quality unit. Not looking to get an expensive unit, just something to do some welding "once in a while, when needed". I would like to be able to do metal as thin as body panels on cars, up to maybe 1/4"? I don't want a "stick" welder. Would a tig be better to get than a mig? I don't mind if it takes longer, I am looking for what does a better job and is more forgiving for more of a beginner vs. someone who welds a lot. I have used a mig a few times.

Also, what are "liners" that you guys have replaced?

Thanks
Posted By: biggE

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/29/23 03:13 PM

I have a Lincoln MIG pack 110 that I've used for around 30 years without a problem. Bought new at Sams Club.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/29/23 05:10 PM

i have a 1972 airco 200 amp "dipstick" [fits me pretty good, eh ? biggrin] welder. i bought it used.
works great ! only two liners since i have had it. [a liner is the "spring" looking thing the wire runs in inside the gun cable]
ran a bunch of 44lb spools of .030 and .035 wire through it.
the only thing i don't like about it is it's size. and it weighs a ton as well. glad it's on wheels.
beer
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/29/23 06:02 PM

My Lincoln 125 has been good to me. About 20-25 years old can`t complain.
Posted By: screamindriver

Re: Another DOA welder - 10/30/23 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by biggE
I have a Lincoln MIG pack 110 that I've used for around 30 years without a problem. Bought new at Sams Club.
Funny you should mention this welder.. I bought one about 30yrs ago as well and that darn little welder is still going strong.. I've downright abused it welding some thick stuff with little regard for the duty cycles at times and it's never hit the thermal shut down ever...I've got a bigger welder now for the heavy stuff but the sheet metal and smaller jobs still get the 110v MIG pak...
© 2024 Moparts Forums