Moparts

68 GTX rear ended in California?

Posted By: carcrazyguy

68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 01:35 AM

Saw this posted elsewhere. Hope everyone made it without serious injuries.

Attached picture IMG_6249.jpeg
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 02:04 AM

Who said those old cars dont have crumple zones
Posted By: Neil

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 02:15 AM

That is sad.

I've driven up on the aftermath of numerous wrecks where cars have been plowed hard from the rear, and it appears the person who caused the wreck never touched the brakes.. I had a police officer tell me most wrecks in the vicinity of intersections these days often involve people playing on their phones, and not watching the road in front of them.
Posted By: TJP

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 02:26 AM

Hope the driver/ passenger are going to be ok and that the other had insurance. 😲 Whatever hit that was moving do the road at a pretty good clip down
Posted By: crackedback

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 06:24 AM

About 2 hours on a frame machine, back to normal! wink

That thing got killed. Sad to see.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 10:39 AM

tHeY dOn'T bUiLd 'Em LiKe ThEy UsEd To.

Attached picture 63jyua.jpg
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 12:01 PM

Nah, his brakes worked so good the rear of the car crumpled up into the rest of it during a panic stop. shruggy

I gotta wonder how hard it was to get out of bed the next day though.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 12:19 PM

Another possibility...front brakes were locked and he tried to launch it from a dead stop w/ really good traction. grin
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 02:08 PM

I heard he has serious neck problems, may never know what happened...

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart

That thing got rear ended at full speed, I've been in a 5 car pileup from the same thing but I was the 3rd car in, the ford escape that was the first hit was destroyed. The culprit was a dumb kid playing on his phone and driving like an idiot in a 06 style V6 charger. Traffic has slowed but he came in full steam ahead. Tried to say he was picking a new radio station, yeah right.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 04:01 PM

What happened to me plus lower back. Hit that hard totaled. Broke seat i was in too. Neck and lower back. Driver expired student visa. Did not work.over 2 years. Still need another Neurosurgery in 2024. And back when it happened years ago. He skipped country and companies Insurace fought heavy as said should not have been anything covered it at all with said driver
Hope for the best with who ever was in that car
Full.speed hit to the rear. We were stopped waiting to turn left.
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 06:37 PM

pics on FB showed the car on a Mopar Show in Sacramento same day.
There is also a picture of the front from an CHP impound yard.

I hope the people inside will be fine again

Carsten
Posted By: rdrnr6970

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 07:09 PM

God Bless em hope their ok!The gtx that's just a shame.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/10/23 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
That is sad.

I've driven up on the aftermath of numerous wrecks where cars have been plowed hard from the rear, and it appears the person who caused the wreck never touched the brakes.. I had a police officer tell me most wrecks in the vicinity of intersections these days often involve people playing on their phones, and not watching the road in front of them.

Your statement reminded me of a recent awful accident near where I live. A teenage girl, had a 5 year old (possibly a sibling)? in the back seat of the car a few weeks ago. She was driving westbound on a two lane road, at around 7:30-8:00am.

She was driving up to a BUSY four lane highway that goes north/south. There is a stop sign and rumble strips before the intersection of
this two lane road and four lane highway. Apparently she was on her cell phone, not paying attention at all, and went through the intersection at full speed maybe doing at least 50...T boning a newer Caravan driving 55 mph southbound with an older(mid 60's) couple inside.
The woman in the Caravan died at the scene, as well as the 5 yr. old child. Both ejected.
The husband had to be air lifted to a bigger out of area hospital (critical condition)... the teenage girl had NO major injuries. Investigation is ongoing...shake_head lives lost and others ruined because of her idiosy and thoughtless actions.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/11/23 03:19 AM

Wow - that is hard to look at - looks like it was a really nice car. There is NO fixing that one. I hope the driver is going to be OK. We used to have a neighbor that got in an accident & one of his shoulders got really badly injured. After numerous surgeries, he was still in excruciating pain all the time. He had to leave his career job with the railroad, then they lost their house, & lost touch with them. His life was ruined. I would not want to live every day in pain like that - he was suffering all the time.
Posted By: Wagonmaster

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/11/23 05:49 AM

This is the carnage to my '81 Thunderbird inflicted by a Monte Carlo. He hit me, not slowing, at about 35 - 40 MPH. Whatever hit that GTX was moving a LOT faster or was a really big pickup. Hope everyone is ok.

Attached picture 20181108113444_00169A.jpg
Attached picture 20181108113444_00171A.jpg
Attached picture 20181108113444_00172A.jpg
Posted By: rapom

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/11/23 05:59 PM

My 68 charger also got hit pretty hard around 3 years ago when Covid was supposedly letting up. Got hit around 55-60 mph by a girl texting. Some of you might remember the pics. Got 70k from insurance👍. I hid my email address in the door sill in case the new owner had questions. Guy picking up car to take to auction said it will probably end up overseas.

About 4 months later I got an email from a guy in Lithuania that bought it. He did most of the body work and then sold it to another guy in Lithuania that finished it and still has it. He said it’s the only 68 charger in Lithuania. He finished it around 18 months ago.

Car still has the same drivetrain, interior, and wheels and tires.

Attached picture IMG_4245.jpeg
Attached picture IMG-20201221-WA0002.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_0170.jpeg
Attached picture IMG_0149.jpeg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/11/23 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by rapom
My 68 charger also got hit pretty hard around 3 years ago when Covid was supposedly letting up. Got hit around 55-60 mph by a girl texting. Some of you might remember the pics. Got 70k from insurance👍. I hid my email address in the door sill in case the new owner had questions. Guy picking up car to take to auction said it will probably end up overseas.

About 4 months later I got an email from a guy in Lithuania that bought it. He did most of the body work and then sold it to another guy in Lithuania that finished it and still has it. He said it’s the only 68 charger in Lithuania. He finished it around 18 months ago.

Car still has the same drivetrain, interior, and wheels and tires.

Is that her still texting in the background?

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/11/23 09:28 PM

That’s my wife. Fortunately we were ok. Just a bit sore. My daughter was in the backseat. Considering how bad it looks, we were lucky.
Posted By: mopowers

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/12/23 01:33 AM

Man, that sucks! Not that it matters, but I wonder if that was on his/her way home from the Mopar show?
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/12/23 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by mopowers
Man, that sucks! Not that it matters, but I wonder if that was on his/her way home from the Mopar show?

Yes, apparently it was after the show. There were pics of it at the show.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/12/23 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk

Anyone have them to share? shruggy
Posted By: Neil

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/12/23 03:43 AM

Even parking lots are not 100% safe. This could have been way worse had people been in the way.

https://youtu.be/p9c-DYoxHN8?si=G2RPeMlPczkOuLG-
Posted By: BloFish

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/12/23 04:17 AM

That’s brutal!
Posted By: crackedback

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/12/23 05:25 AM

Even parking lots are not 100% safe. This could have been way worse had people been in the way.

Talk about a totally incompetent driver. Swerves and travels a long way to hit those cars... Brakes are optional
Posted By: A990

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/12/23 02:40 PM

The owner posted a repair followup
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dqn7YvfyAo
Posted By: Ron_M

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/12/23 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by SattyNoCar
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk

Anyone have them to share? shruggy

See post 291: https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/mopars-left-for-dead.530555/page-12
Posted By: chargervert

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/13/23 01:48 PM

They said on FBBO that the passenger in the GTX had a broken neck, no headrests in 68,and the driver had his scalp peeled back badly,no updates as of yet on their current condition.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/14/23 02:45 AM

Thanks Ron_M for the link. It's a wonder they weren't killed.

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/14/23 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by chargervert
They said on FBBO that the passenger in the GTX had a broken neck, no headrests in 68,and the driver had his scalp peeled back badly,no updates as of yet on their current condition.

Couldn't locate the post But 🙏🙏 for both
Posted By: A12

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/14/23 05:19 AM

Damn head restraints (not headrests) were not mandatory until January 01, 1969 but I've seen a lot of '68 and early build '69 GTX's with head restraints. My December 16, 1968 LA built GTX has head restraints.....okay HEAD RESTS for you Kleenex/tissue folks. Damn what a shame on that RR cry frown
Posted By: A12

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/14/23 05:24 AM

Couldn't just kit that piece of crap to the left of it, nooooooooooooooo let's go for the classic cars and rods. down
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/14/23 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...ay-in-sacramento-hagen-park-show.278112/

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/15/23 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by moparmike1
Originally Posted by TJP

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...ay-in-sacramento-hagen-park-show.278112/

Thank you, Both occupants are recovering which is good news. Serious injuries but alive up 🙏🙏
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/15/23 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

Thank you, Both occupants are recovering which is good news. Serious injuries but alive up 🙏🙏

Yeah, that's the main thing. It's a damn shame about the car, the guy probably spent a lifetime (or a lifetime's savings) getting the car to that point, but in the end, it's only a car. The trauma and health after-effects they will have to live with after all this is over with is what I'd be concerned about, assuming that they are recovering reasonably. Nasty hit!

A side thought, is that stuff like this always tugs at the back of my mind whenever I drive something old without seat belts, head restraints, collapsing steering column, and other safety features that came to be over the last fifty years. But, still, I guess it's safer than riding a motorcycle...
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/15/23 09:34 PM

Imho there too many folks who are afraid to drive their vintage vehicles. Oh it might get scratches, oh it might stall, oh blah blah blah

I drive my stuff as long as there's no salt on the road. Sure, no airbags but drive accordingly. That includes not driving in California or jersey.
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 10/15/23 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by ruderunner
Imho there too many folks who are afraid to drive their vintage vehicles. Oh it might get scratches, oh it might stall, oh blah blah blah

I drive my stuff as long as there's no salt on the road. Sure, no airbags but drive accordingly. That includes not driving in California or jersey.

I drive my daily Moprs the same way (69&71 RR). But in germany

Carsten
Posted By: Hardcharger777

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/10/24 01:19 AM

https://www.copart.com/lot/72330573/salvage-1968-plymouth-2d-2tone-ca-sacramento

Looks like it's up for Auction at Copart

[Linked Image]

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/10/24 01:55 AM

What do you even do with that? I realize the engine may still be good, but there are easier ways to get a 440
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/10/24 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dart 500
What do you even do with that? I realize the engine may still be good, but there are easier ways to get a 440

Some one will buy it for the Vin #. tsk
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/10/24 02:09 AM

Wow after looking that over in the COPART I can't see anything not bent or broken.

Hard to believe anyone survived that.

I would be surprised if anything more than the engine is salvageable.
Posted By: jcc

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/10/24 02:25 AM

That’s my wife. Fortunately we were ok. Just a bit sore. My daughter was in the backseat. Considering how bad it looks, we were lucky.

Sorry for you mishap.
Anything you would do different?

For you and directed to the original wrecked GTX, anybody have subframe connecters installed?
Because the GTX looks pretty straight in the middle section, other than the jaws of life 1st responder door opening.
And a reminder that seats need to be mounted rigidly to not tilt back in a rear ender, in addition to why I will never drive a car without headrests if I can avoid it.

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/10/24 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by 67vertman
Originally Posted by Dart 500

Some one will buy it for the Vin #. tsk

Seeing how the 68 charger ended up rebuilt overseas that may be the case with this one too, but it will have to be torn down to the inner structure then totally straightened and rebuilt like they do with the rust buckets, but even then structure is twisted where a rot box isnt. Guess it comes down to price

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/10/24 05:28 PM

Sorry I missed your post.
Yes I installed frame connectors and torque boxes at all four corners on the 68 charger before it was hit. I'm sure they helped.
Posted By: jcc

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/11/24 12:09 AM

Sorry I missed your post.
Yes I installed frame connectors and torque boxes at all four corners on the 68 charger before it was hit. I'm sure they helped.

Well your mishap and revelation on installed frame connectors might save some lives in the future. beer
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/11/24 02:27 AM

Man, I cringe every time I see that photo. So glad you all came out relatively unscathed...
Posted By: Redbird

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/17/24 01:35 AM

I wonder for the people in the GTX what will be the long term effects of concussion injuries. This stuff doesn’t show up for 20+ years, then it can be devastating.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/17/24 04:31 PM

I can't imagine why ... I'm surprised the guy lived

Attached picture 68gtxouch.jpg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: 68 GTX rear ended in California? - 01/17/24 07:14 PM

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopa...sacramento-hagen-park-show.278112/page-4
© 2024 Moparts Forums