Moparts

Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping.

Posted By: GMP440

Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/04/23 09:29 PM

Was on the Tire Rack site wanting to order tires for my Coronet to be drop shipped to local tire shop. I normally bring wheels over so to get the tires mounted. The local tire shop I use are very good and never question anything.
So, I guess one needs to enter in a vehicle with that tire size so the order goes through. I doubt a tire store would say anything if you never showed up with that vehicle. Anyone else have any issues with this?
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/04/23 11:57 PM

shruggy I walked into Discount Tire and told the guy I'd like a pair of 255/60 15 BFGs and a pair of 225/60 15 BFGs. He asked what car they're going on....I said 69 B'cuda. He said..Cool!! Had them the next day...zero questions. I mounted them myself.
Posted By: DynoDave

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 12:04 AM

Not cool.

I used Tire Buyer for my last set of tires.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 01:04 AM

The last 4 sets of tires I've bought were all bought at our local Farm & Fleet. 3 times a year they run a special where you buy 3 tires with mounting and balancing, you get the 4th tire free. I'm always skeptical about these kinds of sales, but these guys have been legit every time.

Generally they will let you upsize the tires one size larger then the biggest tire available as a factory option. That works well for me, you could buy pretty big tires on a Dakota RT. I tell them the chassis under my 49 is a Dakota RT chassis. (it was a Dakota chassis under my 48 Plymouth coupe as well.)

They are very busy during the buy 3 get one free sales. You usually have to set an appointment (for about 2 weeks later), and the tires are waiting when you get there.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 01:05 AM

not a fan of tire rack. i prefer discount tire
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 01:15 AM

This is not a new thing, its been going on for easily the last 15 years. I worked with a guy who was an avid off roader. He advised me of the companies that either made you sign a waiver or outright refused to sell you tires because of liability-- and some places would not even sell him a pair of tires, only the whole set due to 4wd.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 01:23 AM

Tire Rack sold me a single tire, they must have given me the oldest date code they could find. I didn't question it and had a local guy install it. Three weeks later it blew out and Tire Rack would not replace it, they are dead to me. I will NEVER spend another dime with them again! mad
Posted By: Car Nut

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 09:34 AM

I bought my tires from Summit Racing and got a 10% discount with free shipping.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 12:40 PM

Can't totally blame them. It because of guys wanting stuff mounted that looks like this:

Then it blows out on the inner edge and causes an accident. Who is the lawyer going to go after?

The broke 20-something living in his mom's basement with the "stanced" Nissan? Or the nationwide tire chain that agreed to mount them?

Attached picture blog-non-reviews-700x467-02.jpg
Posted By: A12

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by wingman
Can't totally blame them. It because of guys wanting stuff mounted that looks like this:

Then it blows out on the inner edge and causes an accident. Who is the lawyer going to go after?

The broke 20-something living in his mom's basement with the "stanced" Nissan? Or the nationwide tire chain that agreed to mount them?

^^^ up

You forgot about when the broke 20-something's car blows out the tire, and then loses control, crosses the centerline and takes out a family of four. I look at a lot of regulations and laws as not for your own protection but for me and my family and friends. I could give a crap about you, or anyone losing control, or speeding or you hitting a tree head on it's when that happens to you or the 20-something and you end up injuring or KILLING someone else! Don't wear a seat belt, don't wear a helmet, I don't give a crap just don't ignore a law or regulation that if it happens you end up injuring or killing someone else besides you.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by wingman

I can not blame them at all. I saw a Carolina lean truck yesterday guy could not see anything. Music bumbpin.
But if i would have seen an old car with Gabriel High Jackers, some N-50-15 MT tires and VW size in the front i would have been fine with it. Going up hill bad. Going Down hill ok.
Posted By: topside

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 02:00 PM

Hey, we had morons swallowing Tide pods not too long ago - the stupidity out there is just mind-boggling.

I've found in the past that Discount Tire (the stores) seem to operate differently from Discount Tire Direct (the internet).
Tire shops local to me don't worry about tire size vs vehicle applications, but those "stanced" clowns are thankfully extremely rare up here.
See a lot of 4x4s with the Hot Wheels setup, just as ridiculous IMO.
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: Tire Rack now wants vehicle selected when drop shipping. - 10/05/23 02:18 PM

About 10 years ago I took my 71 Roadrunner to a chain tire/repair center (now at NTB National Tire & Brake) for new tires. I was told by the manager, that they could not work on my car due to its age because if an accident occurred, they would not know how to appraise the damage. I told him, I had been bring my other 3 vehicles there for several years and would not be returning. I went to a Firestone dealer down the street and had new tires installed on the car, no issues. They have earned my business ever since and treat me right.
© 2024 Moparts Forums