Moparts

good quality respirator for sanding/grinding?

Posted By: Exit1965

good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/28/23 07:52 PM

I have not had good luck with 3m respirators such as below. The straps seem to fall apart within a couple of years and the rubber mask degrades and gets all sticky.

Anyone else have that experience with the 3M masks and found a brand or model that lasts longer?

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Stanton

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/28/23 09:24 PM

The straps seem to fall apart within a couple of years

Holy crap, do you you expect a lifetime warranty for a $25 mask ?!?!?!
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/28/23 09:41 PM

By the time the straps are crap the filters are toast and should be tossed.
I no longer get ones with replaceable filters and just get a whole new one.
Posted By: mopowers

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/29/23 03:06 AM

I've had great luck with the 3m respirators. That brings up a question that's crossed my mind in the past. I've heard it's best to store activated carbon and organic vapor cartridges stored in sealed bags, but how do you know when the cartridges should be replaced? Or do you replace them for every project?
Posted By: 360view

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/29/23 09:23 AM

For comfort this new 3M design has been in the news:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Aura-Part...&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

but the fine print says “certain non-oil based particles.”
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/29/23 03:24 PM

I cannot attest to long term repeated use but I used this mask/respirator for a one time project of painting my inline 4 cyl Suzuki 1100 engine in a small enclosed not real ventilated space- and I was fine. I put it back into the large resealable bag it came in when I was done. That was 7 years ago and its been in its bag since then. It currently looks fine but obviously Id replace all the filters if I were to use it again.
https://www.harborfreight.com/paint-body-respirator-kit-large-56983.html
Posted By: jcc

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/29/23 04:39 PM

Any mask rated above N95 is fine for particulates unless you working with asbestos, lead, solvents and/or uncured urethanes (isocyanates, which have no odor and are rather harmful). Yes, all the straps will eventually age out, why they t can't find a longer lasting solution, other than planned replacement is beyond me. I would highly suggest a valved replaceable mask, as long as it's not diseased purposed, as breathing is much easier. Correct fitment is crucial to effectiveness, beards, etc being an issue
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/29/23 07:54 PM

I'm going to go with a North/Honeywell where the mask is made of silicon. Maybe that will last longer. Hopefully the elastic straps will last for a while too.

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/30/23 03:27 AM

I have a positive pressure silicon mask I use with urethanes, its 30 years old, and is fine, can't remember if/when I replaced the straps.
What is the silicon mask cost vs a $5? N95 valve mask, just to consider bang for buck?
Posted By: 360view

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/30/23 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Exit1965
I'm going to go with a North/Honeywell where the mask is made of silicon. Maybe that will last longer. Hopefully the elastic straps will last for a while too.

Please give us a review in the future.

You might treat just one side of the straps with some kind of spray on protectant and see if that side lasts longer.

The oil on the skin of our fingers seems to degrade elastic straps.

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/30/23 02:02 PM

I could share a review of the lifespan of the elastic in my underwear if that might help, which seems to parallel mask strap lifespan. grin
Posted By: Moparite

Re: good quality respirator for sanding/grinding? - 09/30/23 05:06 PM

That's probably because they are made from the same material. I have used ones similar to these with great results. If you have ever ground rust off that dust goes everywhere and mask filters it out.
© 2024 Moparts Forums