Moparts

Mopar Carnage in Maui

Posted By: 67vertman

Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/26/23 07:21 PM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...86b0fef9124fa6a8cb7b3c44a5cb7b&ei=85

It looks like the Maui wildfire claimed at least on classic Mopar!

Attached picture Burnt E Body.jpg
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/26/23 07:24 PM

I could be wrong but that looks like a 69 Camaro.

I was in Lahaina a few years ago, pre-COVID, it was an awesome place to be.

Mike.
Posted By: Rollin Hand

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/26/23 07:24 PM

Thats a Chebby
Posted By: topside

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/26/23 07:44 PM

Yup, '69 Camaro.
I lived in Hawaii (on Oahu) in the very early '80s, and would hop over to Big Island, Maui, & Kauai pretty much every month on business.
It was all more rural than what it is now, and as far as cars &trucks, they rusted from the top down with a vengeance.
There were some cool old cars there, but they were few & far between, as the saying goes.
There were places where old vehicles were stacked like cordwood, being consumed by vegetation; some eventually went into the ocean to help buffer the coral reefs.
The thing I recall most about Lahaina is the old Banyan tree - Mark Twain wrote, when he was there, that on occasion a convict would be hung from it.
Hawaii is generally blessed with rapid & dense vegetation growth, though more on what we call the East side of the islands than the West side.
I hope the people there can recover & rebuild, vs selling out to the buzzards preying on their property.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/26/23 07:49 PM

The Camaro used in the original Vanishing Point movie found in Hawaii, news at 11!
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 02:15 AM

We have been to Maui three times and just love it there! Spent many days and nights in Lahaina, last time was 2022 and hung out at Fleetwoods for three nights listening to Paul West, an awesome one man show! He and his family made it through the fires, but now he doesn't know what to do. I looked through our pictures after the fire hit, such a cool place, it will never be the same again... bawling
Posted By: jcc

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by moparmike1

Mike.

What is the giveaway. the mid belt crease? Because everything else sure looks like a Ply e body. Could the crease be from the heat?
Posted By: topside

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 02:58 AM

^^^ Not even close: grille opening, valance edges, cowl area, windshield opening, bodyside character line, louvered area of quarter panel, drip molding shape...
Posted By: jcc

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 03:04 AM

Is that all? laugh2
Posted By: Neil

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 03:20 AM

It does have a Cuda profile to it, and with the car being burned up that good it does require looking at the details to sort it out.

Many Cuda owners' have had their cars called Camaros over the years by people not familiar with the differences.
Posted By: volaredon

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by topside
Yup, '69 Camaro.
I lived in Hawaii (on Oahu) in the very early '80s, and would hop over to Big Island, Maui, & Kauai pretty much every month on business.
It was all more rural than what it is now, and as far as cars &trucks, they rusted from the top down with a vengeance.
There were some cool old cars there, but they were few & far between, as the saying goes.
There were places where old vehicles were stacked like cordwood, being consumed by vegetation; some eventually went into the ocean to help buffer the coral reefs.
The thing I recall most about Lahaina is the old Banyan tree - Mark Twain wrote, when he was there, that on occasion a convict would be hung from it.
Hawaii is generally blessed with rapid & dense vegetation growth, though more on what we call the East side of the islands than the West side.
I hope the people there can recover & rebuild, vs selling out to the buzzards preying on their property.

dont know what a "banyan tree" looks like from a maple or an oak.... just remember hearing about it every time I hear the song "Aja" from Steely Dan....
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Neil
It does have a Cuda profile to it, and with the car being burned up that good it does require looking at the details to sort it out.

Many Cuda owners' have had their cars called Camaros over the years by people not familiar with the differences.

The C-pillar (sail panel) looks very similar to a 70-74 B-Fish, but if you see the door, it's a '69 Camaro. And the header panel/grill surround. Camaro all the way.

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by moparmike1

Mike.

What is the giveaway. the mid belt crease? Because everything else sure looks like a Ply e body. Could the crease be from the heat?

Like you say, the mid belt crease plus the louvers in front of the rear wheel opening. The crease is too straight to be from the heat.

Attached picture 69 Camaro.jpg

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by volaredon
dont know what a "banyan tree" looks like from a maple or an oak.... just remember hearing about it every time I hear the song "Aja" from Steely Dan....

Here's the Lahaina banyan tree from 2016.

Lahaina was a really nice place.

Attached picture IMG_3507.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3478.JPG
Posted By: 360view

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 02:51 PM

Long WSJ article Sunday details chain of events:

Sugarcane plantations uphill from Lahaina go broke due to competition from “High Fructose Corn Syrup” a Japanese invention by an enzyme that turns all Glucose Corn syrup into to a lower cost better tasting sweetener.

Sugarcane fields get grown over by invasive fast burning grasses from Africa - Buffelgrass and Guineagrass - brought in to control erosion,which brings to my mind how Kudzu was introduced in Southern USA.

Local Fire Departments repeatedly warn that “Fire Breaks” must be constructed and maintained, after wind storm driven fires destroy as many as 18 homes at a time.

Large landowners like The Kamehameha Schools Trust Fund resist sending money on land up keep rather than their charities focus.

Electric company requests funds to maintain old transmission lines from tree and vegetation growth,
but are ordered to spend money on new projects rather than maintenance.

Three major fire risk studies in prior 7 years all formally warn of disaster potential.
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 03:44 PM

Seems there are a few here also. Look at the body line coming off the front wheel and the closed in grill opening. Dead giveaway.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/27/23 03:49 PM

Definitely see Chebby in rear haunches, front of doors style line, and grille surround. Phew, thank goodness not a Mopar.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/28/23 03:23 PM

Must mean the Neon (not the Camaro)?

Wonder if the rockers rusted out like the rest of them
Posted By: hp383

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/28/23 09:49 PM

They should have painted it blue
Posted By: Rollin Hand

Re: Mopar Carnage in Maui - 08/28/23 10:10 PM

Probably has camel hump heads.
© 2024 Moparts Forums