Moparts

Tell me I'm nuts...

Posted By: rrbrucea

Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 06:15 PM

In just a bit I'm leaving to go look at this—1935 Dodge. If I bite the bullet, it'll become a hot rod. So I'm not so concerned about the fenders as there are fiberglass fenders available. It's all the other rust that makes me pause a bit. The door bottoms, cab bottom, side of the hood, etc. And that grille insert. At least an extra cab is included in the deal, a '34...

Attached picture 363532329_233045609706174_9135033557502193589_n.jpg
Attached picture 363455458_304869638729618_1874754029565591161_n.jpg
Attached picture 363795321_695437612625600_8054547281440565742_n.jpg
Attached picture 363971196_864307815037981_5364003298997512047_n.jpg
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 06:25 PM

One heck of a lot of work. Good luck.
Posted By: topside

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 06:26 PM

OK; you're nuts laugh2
But I admire your optimism & fortitude !

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 06:27 PM

Those of you familiar with Kevin Goad's sweet rig, it's exactly what I'd be aiming for. Although I'm not sure about painting it red. Don't think we could have two red Dodge trucks from this era right here in North Carolina. laugh2

Attached picture 355330659_6524064740948701_3326708025025160795_n.jpg

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by stumpy
One heck of a lot of work. Good luck.

I don't doubt it! This guy has had the stuff for years, and has done nothing with it... So I'm not as crazy about jumping in as I may have been when I was younger.

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by topside
OK; you're nuts laugh2
But I admire your optimism & fortitude !

LMAO, I asked for it!
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 06:37 PM

could be really neat

Those cabs are small

I bought one not long ago in western Nebraska and didn't make it back home before it sold ( just cab )

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
Those cabs are small

And I'm NOT! laugh2

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 06:48 PM

I sold just a cab and admittingly it was a dry as a chicken bone for $1800
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 07:01 PM

I don't know how big of a person you are, but I'm 6' 1" tall and 270lbs. and getting in and out of a 39 Dodge was hard enough I sold it after I got it built. A 34 cab is smaller then a 39 cab is. If you can get in and sit inside for a bit before you lay down your money and drag it home, to be able to make sure you fit would be a great idea.

They are a lot of work to build. Finding parts like the grille and such will be like finding hen's teeth, then buying them will make the prices of OEM Hemi Cuda convertible parts seem cheap. Expect to have to build, rebuild, or fabricate from what every you bring home.

Oh yea, just because they "make" glass fenders, that doesn't mean there are any available when you want them, it just means some have been made. Glass fenders are run in batches, the sold until they are gone. Then when there is enough demand, they run another batch. It may have been years since the last batch was run, and it could be years before the next batch is run, but they make them.

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 07:28 PM

Thank you, that's the exactly the kind of realistic response I need. I'm 6' and 215 pounds, so not really "huge," but I am accustomed to my 2014 Ram... biggrin

I've never really messed with stuff from the '30s, so there would likely be a learning curve with stuff that's not from the '60s or '70s for me. I did think I might try to actually get IN the cab, but since there's nothing left in there but the seat springs, I don't know how realistic that might be.
Posted By: GY3

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by rrbrucea
Thank you, that's the exactly the kind of realistic response I need. I'm 6' and 215 pounds, so not really "huge," but I am accustomed to my 2014 Ram... biggrin

I've never really messed with stuff from the '30s, so there would likely be a learning curve with stuff that's not from the '60s or '70s for me. I did think I might try to actually get IN the cab, but since there's nothing left in there but the seat springs, I don't know how realistic that might be.

I badly want a '32 Ford roadster or roadster pickup but I'm 6'2" and 215 lbs. as well. I've tried a few on for size (even the Brookville) and no bueno!

That Dodge does look like a cool piece, though!
Posted By: Neil

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 07:43 PM

Dents in those older rounded fenders are not that difficult to get out even if they look really bad. Hammer + dolly + shrinking disc action would bring them back around.

Better to fix them than buy fiberglass parts that will be wavy and require way more prep time than people realize. Most of the that 'glass stuff does not just bolt on and fall into place. You'll have weird gaps and alignment issues that will need to be addressed too.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 07:51 PM

As nice as the red truck looks, it might be a little easier if you go for the patina look. I don't want to go so far as to say 'rat rod' but some happy middle ground. Get it running driving, then focus on making it look pretty. I've seen a few trucks (all brands) where the cab was extended 4"-6" to give more room, but that may be beyond the scope of this project.
Posted By: CrazyD

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 09:54 PM

not mine, but here is a "restored" 35 for $28K. Might be way cheaper in the long run...

1935 Dodge D100 Pickup

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 11:28 PM

Well, I went, I saw, and I passed. Perhaps I’m not nuts after all? I don’t really know one way or the other… the reality is, there are two cabs there because it’s going to take both to make one good one. Inside the cab wasn’t unbearable other than the steering wheel being in your chest. That would be solved with some aftermarket column, say from Flaming River or something comparable. Bottom line, the owner has had it for around 20 years and there it sits. The 30s Dodge trucks are beautiful, but this particular truck is beyond my abilities to save. Especially since I’m no longer a young guy. I’ll stick with tweaking on my Barracuda. 👍
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/09/23 11:42 PM

While I COMPLETELY understand temptations, probably a prudent decision to pass.

I'd say if you do metal work and have the time something like this would be really cool though.
Posted By: Ramrod39

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/10/23 04:06 AM

Well, I went, I saw, and I passed. Perhaps I’m not nuts after all? I don’t really know one way or the other… the reality is, there are two cabs there because it’s going to take both to make one good one. Inside the cab wasn’t unbearable other than the steering wheel being in your chest. That would be solved with some aftermarket column, say from Flaming River or something comparable. Bottom line, the owner has had it for around 20 years and there it sits. The 30s Dodge trucks are beautiful, but this particular truck is beyond my abilities to save. Especially since I’m no longer a young guy. I’ll stick with tweaking on my Barracuda. 👍

OK. You aren't nuts... grin

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/10/23 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Ramrod39

OK. You aren't nuts... grin

🤣🤣🤣
Posted By: theraif

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/10/23 02:32 PM

grin

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/10/23 06:48 PM

WOW the track they were running is NARROW! eek

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/17/23 08:46 PM

Not a Dodge however , most would not even know ..

It is a good option.

https://www.factoryfive.com/hot-rod-truck/

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/17/23 09:07 PM

It is a good option.

Wow, that's pretty cool! But I'm sure that is far beyond my ability to afford it! laugh2
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/18/23 06:34 AM

the right front tire looks like it is way out of alignment on the first run shock tsk

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/18/23 03:52 PM

It is a good option.

Wow, that's pretty cool! But I'm sure that is far beyond my ability to afford it! laugh2

The Factory Five ‘35 Hot Rod Pick-Up Truck is all-new for 2018. This exciting new design combines our high-performance chassis and suspension with traditional looks to deliver modern comfort with vintage style. Complete “build-it-yourself” package starts at $20,990.

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/19/23 01:00 PM

Wow, that's actually not outrageous! up
Posted By: modelmakerinc

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/22/23 10:50 AM

Well, how about sharing where they are and some contact info so those among us who are nuts whistling can go save them. wrench

Henry

Re: Tell me I'm nuts... - 08/22/23 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by modelmakerinc
Well, how about sharing where they are and some contact info so those among us who are nuts whistling can go save them. wrench

Henry

Actually, as soon as I turned this one down, the next person in line bought the truck (for $4,000) and hauled it home to Alabama. So it found a buyer.
© 2024 Moparts Forums