Moparts

Temp tag for out of state vehicle?

Posted By: Dart 500

Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 03:34 AM

Found a vehicle I like in North Carolina but since it was a consignment deal (at a dealership) they say they cant get a temp tag for it. I looked into getting one myself and they require a North Carolina drivers license. I cant get a temp tag from my area until it gets inspected here. I even went as far as having them ask the owner if i could use his plate to get home (my insurance) and I'll mail it back to him, they didn't feel comfortable doing that. Any work arounds you guys know of for this?
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 05:00 AM

Take the tag off one of your daily drivers. Tell your insurance company ahead of time if you have any qualms about doing that.

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by John Brown
Take the tag off one of your daily drivers. Tell your insurance company ahead of time if you have any qualms about doing that.

I'd do that on a short trip, but its 12 hours, all it takes is one cop to notice a 30' RV isnt a Toyota 4runner when he runs the plate lol
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by John Brown

Insurance company doesn't care about the tag/registration. They only want to know if you bought it, and you're insuring it.

With a standard auto policy (not a collector policy), you typically have X number of days to add an additional vehicle to your policy, and Y number of days to notify them that you purchased a replacement vehicle. The former timeframe is usually shorter than the latter. However, it only applies to passenger vehicles. If you buy a commercial vehicle, a motorcycle, and RV, etc...you have to call and get a policy immediately, since none of those things are covered by your auto insurance.
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 11:24 AM

I've seen vehicles with no plates and a sign written on paper that states "In transit". Of course, I also run into (not literally) vehicles with no plates and no sign.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 01:54 PM

Probably the only real way to have all the bases covered is to trailer it home.

IF something were to happen on the way home like an accident or something, that would not be the time to find out that something wasn't right. And if you have to go through multiple jurisdictions, who knows what little detail there could become a big issue.

The only other thing I can think of would be to have the vehicle assigned to the dealer and let them sell it to you so that they could issue you a 'drive away' permit if that state even has such a thing. We have them here in Illiniois just for this situation. BUT! Here in Illinois that would mean that the vehicle would be subject to sales tax unless the states are reciprocal.
Posted By: topside

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 02:01 PM

Sounds like the OP is driving the vehicle home rather than trailering/shipping it.

I don't see a temp tag being an issue: every State I know of allows 5 days or more to register a newly-purchased vehicle.
I suppose SOME State might see a revenue opportunity, though.
May be best to check with the home State DMV and get something if needed.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 02:27 PM

NC is a real PITA. My daughter ran into issues when her Army husband transferred there in regards to registering stuff.

I forget how she resolved it though, sorry.

Here in TX I'd just get a TX temp registration.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 02:35 PM

I've been driving two vehicle with expired plates for years now. Police have more important things to do. Just don't be stupid on the road and drive it home, you can still insure it, as said above insurance companies don't care about current plates... twocents
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dart 500
Found a vehicle I like in North Carolina but since it was a consignment deal (at a dealership) they say they cant get a temp tag for it. I looked into getting one myself and they require a North Carolina drivers license. I cant get a temp tag from my area until it gets inspected here. I even went as far as having them ask the owner if i could use his plate to get home (my insurance) and I'll mail it back to him, they didn't feel comfortable doing that. Any work arounds you guys know of for this?

I wouldn't worry about a tag. Just be sure to have a bill of sale handy and an insurance card in case you get pulled over. Pretty much any cop will understand... Heck, in Florida we have 30 days to get a vehicle registered. No idea about the laws between the states you'll be traversing, but I'd bet they have something similar.

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 03:35 PM

Turns out I got some bad info, I just called NC DOT and the lady said they'd give me a temp tag no problem.
Posted By: Powerflow

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 03:53 PM

Turns out I got some bad info, I just called NC DOT and the lady said they'd give me a temp tag no problem.

Get her name and write it down!!

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Powerflow

Yeah, aside from where the OP got his bad info, you can get bad info from employees at pretty much any DMV office.
Sometimes I think it's laziness, and other times just ignorance. Either way, it can frustrating as heck.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 04:23 PM

here's what I did...
Bought my Magnum In ATL GA. Prior to me leaving NY, I contacted my Ins guy and had it insured. Flew to ATL , paid the guy and drove it home...the logic I had (and didn't have to explain) was, I was insured and all the sales paperwork was with me. If officer friendly couldn't see that I was simply trying to get back to my home state then write the ticket.

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Originally Posted by Powerflow

Yeah, aside from where the OP got his bad info, you can get bad info from employees at pretty much any DMV office.
Sometimes I think it's laziness, and other times just ignorance. Either way, it can frustrating as heck.

I hear you but she seemed to know what she was talking about, in the case its also bad info I'll bring a plate with me and have all the documents and insurance on hand if I get pulled over. I made a point of having an out of state drivers license and she said that wasn't a problem. Just have the title, bill of sale and insurance for it. The tag is only $10

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 06:42 PM

up
I didn't make my point clear.
You have everything covered. Enjoy your new car and the drive home!!!
Posted By: BIGGERED

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 06:50 PM

I am curious if you spoke to the DMV or one of their private affiliates?
From talking to a friend in North Carolina it sounds like it depends on the affiliate.
Posted By: SV_MOPARS

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I've been driving two vehicle with expired plates for years now. Police have more important things to do. Just don't be stupid on the road and drive it home, you can still insure it, as said above insurance companies don't care about current plates... twocents

not in this god forsaken state, dead tags are a priority since they gouge the crap out of you. my 2020 ram is $700 a year due at the end of july, but i am not paying it since i will be out of this commie state middle to end of august and only paying $60 in TENNESSEE.

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by BIGGERED
I am curious if you spoke to the DMV or one of their private affiliates?
From talking to a friend in North Carolina it sounds like it depends on the affiliate.

I called NCDOT directly and pressed 0 for an operator to avoid the bots, she seemed very firm in her answer. In my research last night I did come across a website that was saying they could get you a temp tag for ANYTHING in ANY STATE, online, and it was legal. I assume that was an affiliate...?

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 09:17 PM

what website was that?

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/26/23 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by SV_MOPARS
what website was that?

dirt legal

Re: Temp tag for out of state vehicle? - 07/27/23 02:40 AM

thumbs
© 2024 Moparts Forums