Moparts

Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai

Posted By: rdrnr6970

Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/07/23 08:36 PM

A commercial just came on for dodge the power of muscle...a hellcat challenger and Durango with a hornet pulling up and running just ahead of them and the voice said their not driving into the sunset...never lift..
And no charger was in the scene anyone know did stallentis change their mind and are going to keep building them?Was the hornet supposed to be their sucessor?Will they be eclectic lol sorry electric?It just ran a few minutes ago during the mecum auction while their auctioning off roadrunner etccc drive
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/07/23 11:08 PM

Challenger and Charger are in their final year. They've shown an electric all new 2dr charger for 2024+ but word is you'll also be able to get it with the hurricane engines (410hp and 510hp). Something called the Stealth will be replacing durango as a "sporty" SUV. Not sure what they plan to do with the challenger because they'd never offer two different coupes and no 4 doors, water is still murky for that but 4 door sedans barely sell anymore, challenger likely outsells most so maybe they will offer 2 of them??

Posted By: chargervert

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/08/23 07:05 AM

That golf cart with goofy fake exhaust sounds will be the death nail for Dodge! They better keep making Challengers.
Posted By: A12

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/08/23 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by chargervert
That golf cart with goofy fake exhaust sounds will be the death nail for Dodge! They better keep making Challengers.

up

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/08/23 07:39 AM

Total BS, it doesn't have a B-pillar just like the original Challenger show car of the current model. I have a friend that worked on design work for the current Challenger and before the release he told me they tried everything to make it try to meet the current fed FMVSS rollover standard and couldn't until they added the B-pillar. The roof on that Charger looks weaker than the Challenger so I'm betting it gets a B-pillar or worse yet 4-DOORS runaway runaway

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/08/23 07:54 AM

The current show car Challenger without the B-pillar and rolldown quarter glass.

real barooom, brooom, and three pedals drive no more down

Attached picture DSC01361.JPG
Attached picture DSC01363.JPG
Attached picture DSC01362.JPG
Attached picture DSC01358.JPG

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/08/23 11:45 AM

Mercedes has several pillar-less coupes, a roll over shouldnt be a problem
Posted By: kcarfanatic

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/08/23 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by rdrnr6970
A commercial just came on for dodge the power of muscle...a hellcat challenger and Durango with a hornet pulling up and running just ahead of them and the voice said their not driving into the sunset...never lift..
And no charger was in the scene anyone know did stallentis change their mind and are going to keep building them?Was the hornet supposed to be their sucessor?Will they be eclectic lol sorry electric?It just ran a few minutes ago during the mecum auction while their auctioning off roadrunner etccc drive

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-to-use-theyre-there-their.

drive

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/08/23 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dart 500

Key word MERCEDES there and they make several convertible coupes so they have lots of experience with rollover standards and willing to spend the money to achieve that. Dodge will just hide the B-pillar and save the money....................but the truth is it will most likely be a 4-door again. wink

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/08/23 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by A12

Key word MERCEDES there and they make several convertible coupes so they have lots of experience with rollover standards and willing to spend the money to achieve that. Dodge will just hide the B-pillar and save the money....................but the truth is it will most likely be a 4-door again. wink

They would be dumb to make it four door, the big reason before was so they could sell them full pop to police departments, no police department is going to buy a low down retro car like that. If they want that market, bring back the coronet and let the charger return to its roots.

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/08/23 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by A12

They would be dumb to make it four door, the big reason before was so they could sell them full pop to police departments, no police department is going to buy a low down retro car like that. If they want that market, bring back the coronet and let the charger return to its roots.

And what is the next police vehicle from Dodge/FCA ?
Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/09/23 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by A12

And what is the next police vehicle from Dodge/FCA ?

They need to think that out. Ford is starting to pull away from the emergency vehicle market and by slashing available ordering to fleets and adding $8,000 for their explorer. This makes the Explorer almost the same price as a Tahoe emergency package. Dodge could come in and swoop in if they play it right.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/09/23 03:21 AM

Dodge has been building the Challenger since what...08? and they never did a convertible? Silly and Stupid! What kind of market share did they lose to Ford and GM(Mustang and Camaro) I know there's a Mustang GT convert in my garage because Dodge refused to cut the top off a Challenger. BTW the Mustang is an absolute hoot to drive and comfy as hell!

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/09/23 11:58 AM

I thought I read something about them making a challenger convertable a couple years ago.That would be smart to continue to build the Challenger and Durango, to dump them and go totally with the hornet woud be stupid!I've seen em in person down
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/09/23 12:17 PM

I thought I read something about them making a challenger convertable a couple years ago.That would be smart to continue to build the Challenger and Durango, to dump them and go totally with the hornet woud be stupid!I've seen em in person down

My local dealer has a Hornet sitting out front. I have yet to see ANYONE looking at the car when going past the dealership. If Dodge it counting on that moving forward, might as well close the dealerships up now.

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/09/23 01:25 PM

If dodge/stallentis hangs their hat on the hornet only and some ev charger the are going bankrupt again history repeating itself.Theyll drop the dodge name and only ram,chrysler and jeep will remain. twocents
Posted By: Jer

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/09/23 02:50 PM

When stallentis drops the dodge and Chrysler name and only ram and jeep will remain. twocents
Fixed it... and probably the plan. The Hornet is just a rebadged Alfa Romeo Tonale, and we all know how poorly the Alfas and Fiats did here over the past decade.

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/09/23 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jer
When stallentis drops the dodge and Chrysler name and only ram and jeep will remain. twocents
Fixed it... and probably the plan. The Hornet is just a rebadged Alfa Romeo Tonale, and we all know how poorly the Alfas and Fiats did here over the past decadeS.

FIXED this one too. Or should I say "Fixed It Again Tony" wink
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/09/23 06:21 PM

I remember seeing two prototype Durangoes before they went into production, I seen the new Challenger before it went into production. What they did to the new Charger was a disgrace to the Charger name! So i wouldn't be surprised if they are putting all their chips on the Hornet. I am tired of seeing the commercials for it! What the whole car market does now is anybody's guess. If i had to buy a new car and had money to throw around it would be the Challenger. They don't have anything else that i would even consider. So getting rid of it is just insanity. But they've disappointed before they will do it again. It's pathetic what the car industry has turned into. Ugly 4 door suv things are they put out and it's going to get worse.
Posted By: RobG

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/12/23 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by chargervert

up

IT sounds like my old electric shaver.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/12/23 06:01 PM

I don't know why so many get hung up on names. They made a 2 door Challenger and needed a 4 door LX platform, and something that would have a very marketable name. They couldn't do a 2 door Charger and Challenger so it made sense to make a sporty 4 door with powerful engines and market it as Charger. It was highly successful. They are into profit, not sentiment. Those Chargers of the '80's were way worse but it's about marketing.

IMO there will still be a 4 door and a decent market. The Chargers have always sold very well! Whether they have a PPV sedan is another story. Many going to SUV's but highway patrols still prefer the Charger V8 for it's manuverability and ability to catch up with a speeding vehicle. Will they be willing to try an EV???
Posted By: Al_Alguire

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/12/23 10:07 PM

Well the Challenger and Charger are still based on the old MB E class cars since 08.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/13/23 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Alguire

Well the Challenger and Charger are still based on the old MB E class cars since 08.
Yeah I think the Mercedes have the pop up individual roll bars that detect a rollover.
Posted By: Kilroy was here

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/16/23 11:32 PM

Challenger convert, Chrysler, off to the scrap yard, from the net many years ago.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: topside

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/16/23 11:53 PM

I didn't see or hear anywhere in that ad where it said internal combustion will continue or return; only that they intend to continue to make fast stuff.
That said, given the poor sales of EVs, I would think the manufacturers have a fall-back plan.

There's an article or two in the current Car and Driver that points out the BS about EVs.
Even though most of the magazine seems to be advocating them.

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/16/23 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Kilroy was here

Challenger convert, Chrysler, off to the scrap yard, from the net many years ago.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For 2023 you could order a convertible challenger but none have been made yet (as far as I know). I figure at least 10,000 were ordered, but they expect a small shop in Miami to do them - yeah, not gonna happen. I think its an intended disaster so only a few get made to replicate the 71 heme cuda convertible collector aspect

Re: Think Challenger/Durango r driving into sunset think agai - 07/17/23 12:03 AM

Ohhhh man that sucks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums