Moparts

Tree/Insect Experts

Posted By: TooMany62s

Tree/Insect Experts - 04/04/23 12:07 PM

Experts needed. I noticed these holes in the trunk of my maple tree. There are a dozen or more of them. A little less than a quarter inch in diameter. What are they and what do I need to do about them? Thanks experts!!

Attached picture tree.jpg
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/04/23 02:27 PM

Sadly ... cut it down .
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/04/23 04:45 PM

Are you positive that they aren't woodpecker holes?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/04/23 05:05 PM

Those may be bore holes from Carpenter Bees.

I have had them here in dead / dying trees and non-treated lumber.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/04/23 05:26 PM

Looks like our local problem, these things have just wiped out trees around here .. not that we have enough to spare !

[Linked Image]

https://nfs.unl.edu/eab-faq
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/04/23 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
Are you positive that they aren't woodpecker holes?

No those aren't from a woodpecker , at least non that live in the northeast. I have woodpeckers going crazy in my neighborhood for the last month or so , it's easy to find the trees they are in by looking at the ground around the tree ... there will be chunks of tree strewn about , those things make big holes to get to the bugs inside ... and if there are bugs in a tree 30 ft off the ground it's the same outcome ... cut it down before it falls down.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/04/23 08:39 PM

Peel the bark off the tree and take a pic
Posted By: floyd

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/04/23 09:30 PM

Look like carpenter bee holes to me too. The larva are in the holes, and around here the woodpeckers go after them and do a ton more damage. Keep watch on a warm day and you’ll probably see them hovering around that tree. They are pretty docile and do not attack/sting.

Attached picture 86F407B5-691A-4640-AD6B-76AA187414BC.jpeg
Attached picture DDD7ECD1-7E2E-41E3-A38C-148F167933A7.jpeg
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/04/23 10:30 PM

Maple petiole borer or Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/05/23 02:07 AM

Looks like some kind of borer to me. We lost ash trees in Ohio with holes just like that.

What's the deal with the grey scale on those trees? I have that on some trees here in Tennessee. Same trees are loosing limbs.

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/05/23 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by NITROUSN

I didn't know there was really a bird called a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. But, today I actually saw one at my bird feeder. Mystery solved.

Attached picture Bird.jpg
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/06/23 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by TooMany62s

I didn't know there was really a bird called a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. But, today I actually saw one at my bird feeder. Mystery solved.

Did I win the prize?
Posted By: Remy-Z

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/06/23 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by floyd
Look like carpenter bee holes to me too. The larva are in the holes, and around here the woodpeckers go after them and do a ton more damage. Keep watch on a warm day and you’ll probably see them hovering around that tree. They are pretty docile and do not attack/sting.

...unless you accidentally interrupt a territory dispute, then be careful. Also, they have the irritating habit of pulling up right in front of your face just to scare the ever-lovin' shock right out of you when you least expect it.

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/06/23 07:57 PM

Around here they talk about Bore Bees. I had never heard that before so I just now googled it and they are also called carpenter bees which I had heard of. Must depend on where you live. lol

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/07/23 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by TooMany62s

Did I win the prize?

How about "Thanks"!

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/07/23 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
Around here they talk about Bore Bees. I had never heard that before so I just now googled it and they are also called carpenter bees which I had heard of. Must depend on where you live. lol

Yeah, I have carpenter bees around here. They bore much bigger holes.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/08/23 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Remy-Z

...unless you accidentally interrupt a territory dispute, then be careful. Also, they have the irritating habit of pulling up right in front of your face just to scare the ever-lovin' shock right out of you when you least expect it.

A tennis racquet makes short work of them. Treated wood isn't safe from them, they'll bore in it too.

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/08/23 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61

A tennis racquet makes short work of them. Treated wood isn't safe from them, they'll bore in it too.

Tennis racket also works great if you happen to get a bat flying around inside your house. Picture me running around in the house trying to catch a bat with three females running around screaming "kill it" a salivating cat following it around determined to catch that flying mouse and a dog barking just because. I swear I could hear Benny Hill music in the background. Lol some of you are not old enough to get that.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/08/23 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61

Tennis racket also works great if you happen to get a bat flying around inside your house. Picture me running around in the house trying to catch a bat with three females running around screaming "kill it" a salivating cat following it around determined to catch that flying mouse and a dog barking just because. I swear I could hear Benny Hill music in the background. Lol some of you are not old enough to get that.

laugh2
Posted By: TJP

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/08/23 05:19 PM

[

🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂
Posted By: moparx

Re: Tree/Insect Experts - 04/09/23 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
[

🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂

also need scantily clad "lassies" added into the mix with Benny Hill. laugh2
beer
© 2024 Moparts Forums