Moparts

Taking forever on race car

Posted By: cudaman1969

Taking forever on race car - 03/21/23 09:38 PM

Am I just getting old or does fixing up the car for racing really tie this long?! Back in the day it was gears, slicks, headers and GO, maybe a month. Seems today I have to fab up everything, are we more picky now?
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/21/23 10:09 PM

Just about ready for track , it will be ready in couple weeks .. took 9 years, lol

Attached picture valoutsideshot.jpg
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/21/23 11:11 PM

I used to do things all day, things that now takes me all day to do...

Some of it is more of a perfectionist and most of it is more things to do.

Besides a full time job, my list of to do's is; currently in the middle of a kitchen remodel, installing an ice maker for a client, de-wiring electric service to two barns, fixing the exhaust on my stealth, oil sender on my truck, thermostats on my wife's jeep, etc etc etc.

When I was younger it was school for half a day and work on cars until drinking time.... No pressure, no problems lots of work done on them.

A woman ended that but that is another story. LOL
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 01:14 AM

Built the chassis for my truck in 1997, the motor in 2000 finally got it to the track in 2019...so I fully understand what forever feels like.

Attached picture 1.jpg
Attached picture 2.jpg
Attached picture IMG_E4141.JPG
Attached picture IMG_2580.JPG
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 01:19 AM

Times have changed.

Back in the day, headers, gears cam, carb, and a few other things made a car competitive, and you changed things weekly to improve. These days, those changes that used to make a car competitive are lucky just to get you onto the track, but no where near being competitive.

Being competitive is an entirely different thing then it used to be. It involves a lot more things that need to be done then it used to, many of which we probably would have never considered back in the day.

I'll save the conversation of how a guy's body slows down as it gets older for a different time, if you really don't have that understanding already.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 02:30 AM

Probably depends on which type drag racing you want to compete in work shruggy
Heads up, no breakout versus bracket racing work
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 02:37 AM

Yes it does. I spent over 13 years building mine. Track opens in less then 2 weeks. I am almost ready.

Attached picture 123_1(1) (1).jpeg
Attached picture IMG9505671.jpg
Attached picture IMG_54301.jpg
Attached picture IMG_8666.jpg
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 03:05 AM

Be sure to let us know what it runs.
Posted By: JERICOGTX

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 10:08 AM

It took me 13 years to go from an old rusty parts car, to a running race car. It's almost been 2 years since I broke the 499 in it, and am almost ready to run with the new combo. This isn't a cheap hobby, and it takes time to do stuff right.

Attached picture MotovatorJune21-1.jpg

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 6PKRTSE
Yes it does. I spent over 13 years building mine. Track opens in less then 2 weeks. I am almost ready.

I still have the pics of your chassis being made, looks great good luck on maiden voyage

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by W.I.N. Racing
Built the chassis for my truck in 1997, the motor in 2000 finally got it to the track in 2019...so I fully understand what forever feels like.

One super looking truck!!
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 01:51 PM

Back in the 80s and 90s these cars were only 10-20 years old with plentiful and affordable parts. Now they're 50 and the go fast goodies are expensive and sometimes hard to get. Plus we are older. I do the most of my stuff on the weekends. Not really a whole lot gets done during the work week. And my back lets me know when I'm overdoing work- even when its hobby work.

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 02:00 PM

Well guys you’ve given me hope I can get it done. ALL of us are in that same boat when building a car either for track or street, like one said we are more picky now and half a$$ just wont cut it like back in the day! My biggest problem is I have 5 I’m working on, 73 Barracuda, 64 Savoy, 66 Belvedere and 70 Duster. Oh forgot the 79 Lil Red. All these started back in the early 90s. Another question, how many of y’all take 5 minutes to lay down on the floor and 10 minutes to get back up?

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by JERICOGTX
It took me 13 years to go from an old rusty parts car, to a running race car. It's almost been 2 years since I broke the 499 in it, and am almost ready to run with the new combo. This isn't a cheap hobby, and it takes time to do stuff right.

Really nice one of my favorites
Posted By: moparx

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 04:17 PM

i started with the first picture in 1976. second picture is how it sits today.
severe health issues came up, along with life in general, and i still hope i can motor this thing around the block before i croak. biggrin
beer

Attached picture the beginning.jpg
Attached picture P9070001.JPG
Posted By: moparx

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 04:29 PM

and yes, it takes me WAY longer to get up off the floor these days !
add in the fact i NEVER seem to get the necessary tools and items needed to do whatever, so i gotta get up ELEVENTYBILLION times just to tighten one bolt !
at least it's "exercise" [???] biggrin
beer
Posted By: 2boltmain

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 04:39 PM

cudaman1969 said: Another question, how many of y’all take 5 minutes to lay down on the floor and 10 minutes to get back up?" On Sunday I rewired my utility trailer as well as oil and trans fluid change in my daily driver. On Wednesday (today) I'm STILL feeling fatigue in my lower back and pelvis.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/22/23 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
and yes, it takes me WAY longer to get up off the floor these days !
add in the fact i NEVER seem to get the necessary tools and items needed to do whatever, so i gotta get up ELEVENTYBILLION times just to tighten one bolt !
at least it's "exercise" [???] biggrin
beer

Not me! I can't remember exactly what size most of those bolts are "under there", so I end up taking a whole hand full of tools with me at a time. It reduces the number of times I have to get down, then back up.
I don't have a hoist, (and would have no place to put one), so getting the truck on or off the jack stands is a bigger issue then chasing tools.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Taking forever on race car - 03/23/23 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2boltmain
cudaman1969 said: Another question, how many of y’all take 5 minutes to lay down on the floor and 10 minutes to get back up?" On Sunday I rewired my utility trailer as well as oil and trans fluid change in my daily driver. On Wednesday (today) I'm STILL feeling fatigue in my lower back and pelvis.

... If I gotta get down on the floor now days I take as many tools and parts as I can with me, That way I can rest up for the return trip to vertical.
© 2024 Moparts Forums