Moparts

A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST?

Posted By: Magnumguy

A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 07:16 PM

I've been posting looking for a (+) NOS battery cable for my Magnums, I got a message from a member named "Berger" ??

Said contact a Colton Holmes about it, Holmes says he has it, I got a picture, not the same.

I'm just not satisfied with the wording in the emails, and the "member" whom messaged me has seemed to have vanished.

Am I being suspicious or has anyone else dealt with them.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 07:17 PM

Do not deal with that guy! Did you get e-mail or a pm?

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer

Both. Not followed through yet.
Posted By: VCODE

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer

I received emails about the same thing. Would not answer them. I took my email address off of my posts so I would not get anymore.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Magnumguy
I've been posting looking for a (+) NOS battery cable for my Magnums, I got a message from a member named "Berger" ??

Said contact a Colton Holmes about it, Holmes says he has it, I got a picture, not the same.

I'm just not satisfied with the wording in the emails, and the "member" whom messaged me has seemed to have vanished.

From Anybody from the Fort Hood Texas area? post. "Berger" Hat tip: member slantzilla

Berger linky
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 07:40 PM

Only do business with established members here. High post counts and joined more than a few years ago. Has worked pretty well for me here and on other boards.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 07:51 PM

TAKE MY ADVICE PLEASE !!! I was scammed the same way and lost $720 , same place in FT. Hood , Texas only his name is Lloyd Whitney let me guess you placed an ad in the parts wanted section and "B' or " Berger " answers saying his friend has the part and to email him .. then the person that answered your ad deletes his account BEWARE !! Moparts friends !! PLEASE !!!! Don't get scammed like I did! ...I am out $720 and still don't have the 4 inch small block stroker crank I need !
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 08:37 PM

There seems to be a lot of "I don't have the part but I have a friend who does, get hold of him......." going on. I have read of this on other forums I belong to. Invariably they turn out to be a scam. Sad but true.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 08:43 PM

Let me tell you about some of my purchases here ...

Bought a set of b-body torsion bars from a member - upon arrival one was SIGNIFICANTLY bent. He claimed he thought it was supposed to look like that.

Bought a '69 B-body Plymouth hood latch set from a member here - the spring on the hook was broken (can't be replaced) and the catch bar was wrong for this car.

Bought a 'glass bolt-on hood from a member on here (VFN fwiw) - it had obviously been bolted on. Upon installation its discovered that the bolt holes for all the hood latching is 3/4" off from where it needs to be. That owner cold have had VFN address the issue instead of passing along the problem.

Had three more purchases that went without a hitch.

So the hood I can tolerate but the other two were outright scams in my opinion.

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 09:03 PM

I was suspicious from the get-go. No money sent or spent. Fortunately.

Thanks folks
Posted By: justinp61

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
There seems to be a lot of "I don't have the part but I have a friend who does, get hold of him......." going on. I have read of this on other forums I belong to. Invariably they turn out to be a scam. Sad but true.

It's not just car parts they are scamming, pretty much parts for anything.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by MarkZ
Only do business with established members here. High post counts and joined more than a few years ago. Has worked pretty well for me here and on other boards.

iagree

The only time I've gotten scammed here was when I took a chance on somebody that had joined a few months earlier.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/29/23 11:10 PM

People should insist on a form of payment that is covered as many ways as possible. Like CC via PP. Im not afraid of new sellers doing it that way since some times they just need to dump parts. Got a great deal on a cam/lifter combo last quarter on here.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
People should insist on a form of payment that is covered as many ways as possible. Like CC via PP. Im not afraid of new sellers doing it that way since some times they just need to dump parts. Got a great deal on a cam/lifter combo last quarter on here.

I do the same, same guy Lloyd Whitney and MO, any funds has to be guaranteed refund from card PayPal or bank.
Posted By: TJP

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

From Anybody from the Fort Hood Texas area? post. "Berger" Hat tip: member slantzilla

Berger linky

Your comment had me thinking that long time member slantzilla was involved. having trouble believing that I went a bit further. I now realize your missing the : at the beginning of :hat tip: which does not display on this forum. May I suggest an edit or clarification for him beer
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by 3hundred

Berger linky

Your comment had me thinking that long time member slantzilla was involved. having trouble believing that I went a bit further. I now realize your missing the : at the beginning of :hat tip: which does not display on this forum. May I suggest an edit or clarification for him beer

I intended it as: hat tip; used as an acknowledgement that someone has brought a piece of information to the writer's attention, or provided the inspiration for a piece of writing.

We don't seem to have a smiley like this, so...

Attached picture hat tip.jpg
Posted By: 360view

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61
Originally Posted by 6PakBee

It's not just car parts they are scamming, pretty much parts for anything.

If the Moparts scammers had just devoted as much brainpower and time
to running cryptocurrency scams
they might be 100,000 times richer
and living on sunny island countries with lax laws with corrupt politicians
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 02:36 PM

We had a Moparty on Saturday, and one of the guys showed me a Colton Holmes email he got. I just now alerted him.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 02:39 PM

I had a similiar offer on another mopar site some time ago. The same "I have a friend "that has the part you need. He responded but I never followed thru on the purchase when the pic I asked for didn`t match my request.

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 03:48 PM

Interestingly, he's pursued me, as the cable he has is wrong, but he's asked me for a picture of mine. That's unusual for me anyway.

Probably not going to pursue it
Posted By: stumpy

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 04:25 PM

He probably wants the picture so he can use it for his scams.

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 05:16 PM

Just have to say : I have been on Moparts over 20 years and bought and sold a lot of parts with no hassle whatsoever ... I have always been satisfied with my purchases as were the persons I sold to.. the guy that scammed me still emails me I guess he goes on this site and he isn't happy about being called a thief , he says he will refund my money but only if I give him my bank account info saying he can only refund that way ... sure buddy heres my info... not. I emailed him back about a week ago asking why he can't send me a money order, certified check or western union wire transfer to me personally or send me the crank.. big surprise ! I haven't heard back

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 11secdart
Just have to say : I have been on Moparts over 20 years and bought and sold a lot of parts with no hassle whatsoever ... I have always been satisfied with my purchases as were the persons I sold to.. the guy that scammed me still emails me I guess he goes on this site and he isn't happy about being called a thief , he says he will refund my money but only if I give him my bank account info saying he can only refund that way ... sure buddy heres my info... not. I emailed him back about a week ago asking why he can't send me a money order, certified check or western union wire transfer to me personally or send me the crank.. big surprise ! I haven't heard back

And he is ??? whistling

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 06:54 PM

Interestingly, he's pursued me, as the cable he has is wrong, but he's asked me for a picture of mine. That's unusual for me anyway.

Probably not going to pursue it

Good idea wink

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 07:24 PM

Name in the seventh post

Posted By: slantzilla

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/30/23 11:38 PM

I have been hit by both fake names on the same wanted ad.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 01/31/23 12:31 AM

If you post a wanted ad, best be on guard.

Like waving money around walking down the worst crime infested street in your area.

If they don't take a method that provides some protection, objects even if you pay the 3%, too difficult to get paypal, etc... RUN
Posted By: peabodyracing

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 02/02/23 10:54 PM

Scammers are everywhere on any forum I frequent.

A month or so back I responded to a Facebook Marketplace listing for a Honda RC51 that was priced very well. I was hesitant to even try being Facebook which I don't normally use. The seller's response was pretty 'tentative', to the point of making me wonder.

After some back and forth with the seller I concluded it was worth the drive to Iowa to see what happened. I got there, found he was a real person, really had the bike, really did want to sell it and even had a clean title for it.

When we had settled up on the sale he said "I almost didn't respond to your messages. Being from Minnesota I was concerned you were a scammer and was trying to figure out your angle." I laughed and said "I was wondering the same thing about you!"
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 02/03/23 02:55 PM

I got the same email. it was suspect form the very beginning.

I have had good luck selling and buying on the moparts forum. Just did an order for selling some 1970 Challenger parts, and have a deal buying parts from Little Detroit. Though they have a low post count, they have posted here for over 10 years so I was not concerned about it being a scammer or anything like that.
Posted By: rtpete

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 02/03/23 03:31 PM

He tried to get me on a 69 coronet fender last week.He sent me pictures he stole off the internet.
Posted By: A12

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 02/04/23 12:53 AM

Seems it's getting so bad that keyboards are starting to have this key on them shock wink grin

Attached picture 325954143_5971021889645114_3652795019728836709_n.jpg
Posted By: maximus

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 02/04/23 02:00 PM

Lot of Scammers on RacingJunk. Most can't even speak English when you call.

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 02/04/23 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by 11secdart
Name in the seventh post

up
Posted By: VCODE

Re: A SCAMMER IN OUR MIDST? - 02/12/23 10:33 PM

Just got a email from Eddie Robbin and it sure does not look right. I can't put my email address with my parts wanted adds
be careful.
© 2024 Moparts Forums