Moparts

I love paper

Posted By: Kudakidd

I love paper - 01/22/23 06:57 PM

Catalogs, that is. Other than Classic Industries, nobody publishes paper print material / catalogs. I know, I'm old.
Posted By: topside

Re: I love paper - 01/22/23 07:16 PM

Must be an elder-statesman ( laugh2) thing, I'm the same way - seems I can find what I want more quickly.
I'm OK with the online stuff, it just seems like some of it is mis-labeled or the photos are too small to see details.
When I periodically clear 'em out though, it's like a hundred pounds of recycling !
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: I love paper - 01/22/23 08:44 PM

We and paper catalogs or going the way of the DooDoo Birds.

Some site let you down load a PDF copy, but then the printing is on you.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: I love paper - 01/22/23 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kudakidd
Catalogs, that is. Other than Classic Industries, nobody publishes paper print material / catalogs. I know, I'm old.
LMC Truck still sends me paper catalogs up
Posted By: Andyvh1959

Re: I love paper - 01/22/23 10:15 PM

A catalog doesn't have to be plugged in. It has no passwords to remember to access it. It can be studied over and over without bluescreen eye strain. You can read it anywhere, including on the can. Take your laptop into the can and spend any time there and others in the house will question what you're really deeply studying.

Years ago I'd get three to five motorcycle subscriptions delivered per month. A fav past time would be, fire up the bike for at least a 60 mile ride to breakfast, eat a hearty breakfast and coffee while I sit in a booth by myself immersed in the latest motorcycle articles. Over the years, Motorcyclist, Rider, Cycle Guide, Cycle World, Motorcycle Consumer News (a GREAT magazine), and others faded into electronic only publications. At least American Motorcyclist Association is still a printed format (I'm a life member), so I can still do my ride/eat/ride mornings. Just not the same eating a breakfast in some restaurant while swiping my bacon greasy finger across the screen to read the itty bitty font.
Posted By: Kudakidd

Re: I love paper - 01/23/23 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Andyvh1959
A catalog doesn't have to be plugged in. It has no passwords to remember to access it. It can be studied over and over without bluescreen eye strain. You can read it anywhere, including on the can. Take your laptop into the can and spend any time there and others in the house will question what you're really deeply studying.
You got that right!
Posted By: 360view

Re: I love paper - 01/23/23 01:37 PM

I learned a lot from looking through the thick McMaster-Carr catalog.

It took me far too long to realize it,
but old versions of McMaster Carr should not be thrown away,
they should be left in plant control rooms, lunch rooms, given to repairmen, foremen., etc.

A white piece of paper should be stuck on the lower half of the front of the catalog with the words:
“Look for something that will make your jobs quicker & easier & save the company money.”

The old Sears Roebuck paper catalogs educated, prior to outhouse use.
Posted By: wingman

Re: I love paper - 01/23/23 03:32 PM

Heck, I still have catalogs from places that don't even exist anymore--PAW, the Paddock, and others.

Man I need to clean out the garage...
Posted By: John Brown

Re: I love paper - 01/23/23 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by wingman
Heck, I still have catalogs from places that don't even exist anymore--PAW, the Paddock, and others.

Same here. Old paper catalogues are a necessity of life if you are a dyed-in-the-wool swap meet parts scrounger.
Posted By: TJP

Re: I love paper - 01/23/23 05:04 PM

I too love the paper and go to it first for a number of reasons. One is a lot of times I stumble across something unrelated to what I was looking for but needed. But I also understand the cost to the seller. having run a shop I have and entire shelf about 4 feet long covering most makes and models. The other useful part is some have reference / assembly diagrams smile beer
Posted By: 340Cuda

Re: I love paper - 01/23/23 05:44 PM

So far this year I have gotten catalogs from Summit, Competition Products and Speedway Motors. I got a Jeg's catalog late in 2022.

I have not asked for any of them. I have bought from all of them but online.

I actually got a Summit Catalog this morning, it came with my morning newspaper with my address on it. They used some company that works with newspapers to deliver catalogs and magazines.
Posted By: moparx

Re: I love paper - 01/24/23 04:45 PM

i received a summitt and speedway catalogs on saturday. those will get relegated to my library when the next bunch arrive.
it's amazing what one can learn from studying catalogs, especially the "master" catalogs from places that sell bearings, brake parts, etc.
even though printed versions are almost nonexistent today, i try to obtain any i can.
although my masters are old, one can still find pertinent information in them.
beer
Posted By: rrbrucea

Re: I love paper - 01/24/23 05:51 PM

Made my whole career producing print catalogs, including years spent in charge of the advertising department that produced Carolina Biological Supply Company’s 1200-page book. Now, in light of your statement, ask me why I retired last year. 😮
Posted By: Old_Moparz

Re: I love paper - 01/24/23 08:06 PM

I still prefer catalogs, it's easier to stick a scrap piece of paper at the page you need. I used to save them until I got the new one but now I toss the new ones in the recycle bin because the old ones have much better prices.
© 2024 Moparts Forums