Moparts

White Christmas in Central OR, maybe: update

Posted By: Cab_Burge

White Christmas in Central OR, maybe: update - 12/10/22 12:49 AM

We live 3 miles south of Bend, OR. our house is right at 4350 ft altitude according to my old portable aviation GPS moving map device, I started snowing lightly several weeks back off and on, todays snowstorm looks serious shock
It was sunny earlier today when I was using our snowblower to clean both driveways and as soon as I started blowing snow it resumed snowing, put down around one inch in 90 minutes where I had clear off to begin with.
I took this picture about 20 minutes ago off of our front porch around 4:30 PM Pacific time.
We have lived in this house since the summer 2005 and usually have snow in the winter, last winter was very mild and I can't remember if we got snow or not confused
One year, 4 or 5 years ago, we had 48 inches of snow in the back driveway. We have had a low of -28F several winters ago so I guess I should be happy it isn't like that now.
Merry Christmas to all, enjoy life all you can now up twocents
I took this latest picture about 1/2 hour ago out the back door, it is really slick out there now due to additional snow falling on the base that had harden making it like ice shock
Merry Christmas and have a very good new year up

Attached picture SANY0003.JPG
Attached picture SANY0004.JPG
Attached picture SANY0007.JPG
Posted By: carnut68

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/10/22 01:07 AM

You can keep that stuff out there. boogie The highest point in Md. is 3300ft.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/10/22 01:59 AM

Too cold for me, but it sure is beautiful.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/10/22 02:36 AM

Beautiful. Merry Christmas!
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/10/22 03:02 AM

Merry Christmas from SE WI....we got a solid 4" of wet heavy crap today. All cleaned up now but....the older I get the more I dislike snow.
Posted By: carnut68

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/10/22 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Merry Christmas from SE WI....we got a solid 4" of wet heavy crap today. All cleaned up now but....the older I get the more I dislike snow.
Exactly!
Posted By: topside

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/10/22 04:15 PM

Getting our 3rd dump of 5-8" today here in Sandpoint, ID; I'm at about 2600 feet.
And it's not even officially Winter yet.
About 3-4 hours every time for plowing & shoveling.
After 18 years of this, I've lost my enthusiasm for it, but otherwise I love this area.

Attached picture IM000732.JPG

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/10/22 07:04 PM

I like Sandpoint, we looked at buying there on one of the small airparks north of the amusement park, but when we saw how high the snow could get up the trees we passed shruggy
The lowest pine tree limbs were around 25 Ft. off of the ground shock work

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/10/22 08:52 PM

Amusement park ? That sounds like the Athol area, about 20 miles South of Sandpoint.
There was a small airstrip there, and they ran 1/8-mile drags, but that ended when Silverwood bought it so they could expand, the year I moved.
Would've been great to use.
There are airpark properties near the Sandpoint airport, but I've never heard of an amusement park here...
Haven't seen 25 ft of snow - worst so far has been about 12 ft accumulated over the Winter.
It's probably my OCD, but it's frustrating to plow our shared private road and a few of the neighbors' driveways, only to have to do it again the next day.
I want to dial back on that...a bunch...

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/11/22 03:45 AM

Is Sandpoint where Michael Furman and a lot of other LAPD and L.A. Fireman retired? If so, sorry for the confusion.
I looked at a western U.S. map and the little amusement park I'm thinking of is on Hwy 96 north of the 90 freeway on the north end of Cour d Alene, sorry. We landed their first and then flew up about 5 miles northeast of their to the Airpark I'm thinking of, there was another small airpark a little further north and a little west of the one we look at.
I was thinking the deer ate the lower limbs off of those trees when they were a lot younger, and they had all got taller and older confused shruggy

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/11/22 03:42 PM

No worries; yeah, up Hwy 95 from CdA.
There was also a small amusement park & waterslide @ I-90 and 95, closed years ago.
Yeah, Furman and a bunch of retired LEO & Firefighters are all over the place, from CdA to Sandpoint.
What folks here call "jack pines" tend to not have lower limbs as they grow tall.
Seems they ascend with the tree as it grows taller, but I'm no arborist.

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/12/22 12:34 AM

I was born and raised in SO CA, mostly in the Mojave Desert where you have Cottonwoods and Joshua trees around where we lived mostly.
There are a lot of different trees around us here in Bend, our home is surrounded by tall pine trees of two different versions, Ponderosa and two others pine trees I can't remember the names of now.
I now hate Pine Trees, Pinecones and Pine needles falling year around, pitch dripping on anything left under them rant I've twisted both knees and ankles stepping on them dang Pinecones realcrazy
Done with the griping, more snow here last night, around five fluffy inches snowblow whiney grin
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/13/22 03:37 PM

looking like we may get one in seattle also this year...

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/24/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by ph23vo
looking like we may get one in seattle also this year...

How much snow did you guys up there get?
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/25/22 12:30 AM

We always liked bend but too many people now
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/25/22 03:21 PM

WE HAD ABOUT 5 INCHES IN KENT WHERE I AM AT... BUT YESTERDAY [23] THANKFULLY IT WARMED UP AND ITS ALL GONE NOW...

HAD FREEZING RAIN AT THE END OF IT...NASTY STUFF.. NOBODY WAS MOVING ANYWHERE..

MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND!
Posted By: Neil

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/25/22 06:24 PM

Frozen rain here last night. Asphalt seems to be ok for driving, but concrete sidewalks have spots that will dump you if your not careful.

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/25/22 06:49 PM

Up here, 4"-6" of snow at a time, couple times a week or more, bitter cold & windchill last week, then another 5" of snow; yesterday afternoon & night some freezing rain.
Roads were icy & pretty treacherous, and County must have taken the day off - no plowing, except me...
Posted By: Neil

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/25/22 07:05 PM

Yesterday I went into town in the middle of the afternoon and the banks, library, gas stations, ect all had made no attempt to clean up their lots or sidewalks from Friday's snow. Normally they do, but perhaps since it was Christmas Eve they could not find anyone to do it? Supposed to warm up by the middle of next week for a few days so maybe most of it will go away.

Here people push the snow into their gutters, but then the gutters freeze up at night so that is where it stays. Common to have clean and dry sidewalks and the roads still have broken snow floor and ice stuck on them because the storm drains and gutters are blocked with ice.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/28/22 04:46 PM

Yep

Attached picture D2E3510E-D2F2-430C-96EA-1C0F953A4172.jpeg
Posted By: Sniper

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/29/22 12:44 PM

Try knocking ice off the ship when it's north of the arctic circle. BTDT

Remember, it's cold enough to freeze salt water.

Re: White Christmas in Central OR, maybe - 12/29/22 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by dart4forte
Yep
I have experience "Army Cold" in Wildflicken, Germany in December of 1967 during winter training wrench I think the high temps that week were arond12F and the lows were around-5F. The winter combat gear worked very well, thanks be to God bow
I have been colder in SO CA high desert (around 4100 Ft above sea level) in February of 1978 while working up on a telephone pole about 20 Ft. above the ground at 10:30 PM at night with the wind blowing 25 to 35 MPH at 45F temps and right at 98 % humidity shock
Living here in Bend since 2005 we have seen the night temps get as low as -25 F whiney shruggy
It is amazing what the human body can adapt and survive in work up
© 2024 Moparts Forums