Moparts

Cash app questions?

Posted By: MI_Custumz

Cash app questions? - 07/23/22 10:13 AM

How secure is it? Can you link a prepaid visa/debit card to it? Reason I am asking is the wife has a cousin who called her yesterday asking for money. It's against my better judgement to give money to certain people, but this was a good reason. He said his younger sister is strung out on heroin and he was driving to Florida from Michigan to get her and bring her back for rehab. Good reason for me to say, give some money for gas. Not fond of transferring money via apps I haven't researched. I'll look into it today. But I figured if the account gets drained for some reason, prepaid card would be less painful.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Cash app questions? - 07/23/22 12:50 PM

Are you sure it's your wife's cousin? We got a call from someone claiming to be a shirttail cousin who claimed he was in jail in Florida and needed bail. When I asked for the number of his lawyer.....click. Not saying this is the case here but there are scammers out there.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Cash app questions? - 07/23/22 12:55 PM

Can't speak to the apps BUT ... To me this sounds like a typical scam. Ask your wife to ask her cousin some questions that a stranger might not have answers to.

My sister-in-law came this friggin' close to handing over $8000 cash a month or so when she got a call from (supposedly) her son who was supposedly in an accident (which accounted for heis different voice). The only thing that saved her butt was that same son happened to call her on her cell while she was on the landline with the scammer !!
Posted By: Moparite

Re: Cash app questions? - 07/23/22 03:55 PM

What was used before "apps"? Ever hear of western union? As others said make sure it's going to the intended person and for the intended use.
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Cash app questions? - 07/23/22 04:06 PM

It says on the website most prepaid cards are supported.

It’s a secure service, but know who you are sending money to, because once you send it, it’s gone.

Dennis

Re: Cash app questions? - 07/23/22 04:28 PM

It’s her cousin for sure. He called her as well. We know the sister went downhill. She stayed with us before she moved to Florida years ago. He’s actually sending pictures of the gas pump to show he’s using it for what he said. 100% legit, just would rather use a prepaid card to send money instead of our bank card. It’s not a question of if he’s scamming us, or if it’s a scam, but prepaid for the app.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Cash app questions? - 07/23/22 05:28 PM

Why not just PayPal or Venmo the cash via friends and family ?
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Cash app questions? - 07/24/22 01:06 AM

I use Zelle and Paypal F7F, had issues with Venmo. No issues with the first two... twocents

Re: Cash app questions? - 07/24/22 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TJP
Why not just PayPal or Venmo the cash via friends and family ?
Because he uses Cash App. There is no friend/family/gift option on Cash App, so I printed the receipts and kept notes just in case we have to pay taxes or he does. At least he can fight that part if he wants. The one prepaid card I tried didn't work. Was hoping it would. Posted this before I had a chance to research it more.
Posted By: Kevin Lois

Re: Cash app questions? - 05/16/24 08:21 PM

[quote=Stanton]Can't speak to the apps BUT ... To me this sounds like a typical scam. Ask your wife to ask her cousin some questions that a stranger might not have answers to.

My sister-in-law came this friggin' close to handing over $8000 cash a month or so when she got a call from (supposedly) her son who was supposedly in an accident (which accounted for heis different voice). The only thing that saved her butt was that same son happened to call her on her cell while she was on the landline with the scammer !! [/quote

Yes, I know many cases of fraud. This case is similar to them.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Cash app questions? - 05/16/24 08:44 PM

Have him send you a picture of him not the gas pump.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Cash app questions? - 05/17/24 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by stumpy
Have him send you a picture of him not the gas pump.

up AND sign up for one of the apps like PayPal. It's not that difficult. Could be anyone calling to get her more $$ for drugs shruggy beer
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Cash app questions? - 05/17/24 04:55 AM

Cash app is a legit app
Posted By: BSharp

Re: Cash app questions? - 05/17/24 01:02 PM

We haven't needed them yet, but we have pre-arranged questions with our daughters to confirm identity. Things we'll all remember even in a stressful situation.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Cash app questions? - 05/17/24 03:57 PM

the only cash app i have is whatever green paper with dead presidents is residing in my wallet at any given time. [and most have washington's mug on 'em. laugh2]
beer
Posted By: Dart 500

Re: Cash app questions? - 05/17/24 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
the only cash app i have is whatever green paper with dead presidents is residing in my wallet at any given time. [and most have washington's mug on 'em. laugh2]
beer

These apps were invented because paypal is terrible, I think most guys here can agree.
Posted By: theraif

Re: Cash app questions? - 05/17/24 05:38 PM

i use cash app for some things it has improved over the yrs
© 2024 Moparts Forums