Moparts

What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour

Posted By: DirectSubjection

What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 04:29 PM

Man, that's flying!!

Posted By: bigdad

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 04:41 PM

I often race others at the track 4-5 seconds slower than me , that last 100 foot or so is pretty fun ..kinda dangerous , I once raced Omni that was 14 seconds slower
Posted By: justinp61

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 05:32 PM

Insane!
Posted By: Sniper

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 05:33 PM

Talk about over driving your ability to react.

You are moving at 11704 feet per minute, 378 feet per second. That is more than a football field.

Average reaction time is 273 milliseconds. In that time you have moved 103 feet.

That just how far you have moved before you realize something is there. Then you start to react.

Half a second (?) to get off the gas an onto the brakes, another 189 feet. Now we are at 292 feet from the time you saw something till the time you touch the brake pedal.

Meanwhile that deer doesn't even have time to know you have headlights much less give you that look.

It may be legal to do those speed on the Autobahn, but legal doesn't preclude stupid. Not saying I've never been stupid on the highway, but I can say I have never been that stupid, lack of ability lol.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 05:43 PM

Disappointed, I expected "the lines on the road just look like dots". grin
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 05:55 PM

So assuming he was still traveling well over 200 MPH at the end when he took his hands off the wheel, how far did he travel with his hands off the wheel?

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 05:56 PM

And why oh why can't we just have a couple roads like that here in the USA? He have far more and better land to make it happen...
Posted By: GregY

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 06:28 PM

The end looks real, but why does the driving part look like a video game?

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 06:52 PM

I noticed that also butt just figured it must be some cheap camera or something that couldn't catch stuff that good at that speed.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 07:25 PM

The driver took both hands off the wheel and cheered......wow.
Posted By: moparx

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel

"the guard rails looked like a picket fence"............[from a song i forget who sang/talked, possibly the same one as above ? shruggy]
beer

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

"the guard rails looked like a picket fence"............[from a song i forget who sang/talked, possibly the same one as above ? shruggy]
beer

Hot Rod Lincoln by Charlie Ryan
Posted By: moparx

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 07:35 PM

YES ! boogie bow

do you have a broom or maid that could clean out my cobwebs ? biggrin
beer
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave
And why oh why can't we just have a couple roads like that here in the USA? He have far more and better land to make it happen...

We may have more land, but I'm pretty sure we also have far, FAR more idiots on the road (you ever watch the videos where an idiot will come to a complete STOP in front of a Semi barreling down the freeway?)

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 08:09 PM

YES ! boogie bow

do you have a broom or maid that could clean out my cobwebs ? biggrin
beer

Stick your head out the window at 250 and it'll self clean, lol.

I need someone to clean out all the trivia stuck in my head.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 08:25 PM

I noticed that also butt just figured it must be some cheap camera or something that couldn't catch stuff that good at that speed.

if google did the math right.
a go pro films at 120 frames per second.

at 250 mph, it is 366 feet / sec
so the camera skipped 2 feet for every foot it saw.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/19/22 08:29 PM

No point. I can pretty much guaranty you that transports will be leap frogging in the two right lanes and an old oriental female will be doing ten under the limit in the left lane - where its her God-given right to drive!

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Andrewh

if google did the math right.
a go pro films at 120 frames per second.

at 250 mph, it is 366 feet / sec
so the camera skipped 2 feet for every foot it saw.

shock

That car is really stable tho it seems - especially considering the distance he drove at that speed. Amazing machine!
Posted By: Twostick

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper

beer

Hot Rod Lincoln by Charlie Ryan

From the Comander Cody version with 8 cylinders instead of Charlie Ryan's 12.

Now the boys all thought I'd lost my sense
And telephone poles looked like a picket fence.
They said, "Slow down! I see spots!
The lines on the road just look like dots."
Took a corner; sideswiped a truck,
Crossed my fingers just for luck.
My fenders was clickin' the guardrail posts.
The guy beside me was white as a ghost.

Kevin
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 02:34 AM

Amazing what a 3 million dollar car will do. Looks pretty intense.
Posted By: MowP4rsn

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 07:21 AM

Ok, that makes me want to take a trip just to see the Autobahn in person. bow
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 11:29 AM

There is way to many idiots here to do something like that. Driving is taken so much more seriously there, that is why German cars have horrible cup holders, they don't think you should have a drink with you lol.

The road conditions here couldn't even handle it either. Some of the bridge transitions here would have busted that poor car into 8 million pieces at 100MPH much less 257.

Here is a more in depth video, he also talks about his runs in his other Bugatti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czED2FSc508
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 12:26 PM

One of my friends was an MP in the Army and was stationed in Germany. He said they would sometimes assist the German police with accidents on the Autobahn. He said there weren't a lot of accidents, but there weren't any fender benders, either.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 12:38 PM

Previous owner of my car got into a bout with a Veyron a few years back with the car. On I75 in Cincinnati Ohio
Starting from about a 45 mph roll kick. And Up to about 100 mph give or take a few ,,,,,,,they were close to one another.

After that the Bugatti left him like he was standing still and he never saw it again.

A friend of mine owns a Bird, hemi, 4spd and 2.94 rear axle. That car will bury the speedometer quite easily.
I was in it coming out of level cross NC many years ago. It was a real long straight stretch of hiway and not another car in sight. ...So whats a guy do ,,,,,,, he floored it .

I can honestly say at those speeds everything / anything like road signs, trees , painted center line markers , etc etc go by in a blur . Its a lot faster in person than any film can ever show you what it fees like in in the seat of the car. TRUST me .
I'm glad i did it, and lived to tell about it. But not sure I have the Knads to do it again 30 plus years later

This is THAT car .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asU58_A90fc
Posted By: wingman

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by MowP4rsn
Ok, that makes me want to take a trip just to see the Autobahn in person. bow

The legend of the Autobahn is usually better than the real thing. There are rare times and rare locations when a high-speed run like this are possible,

But most of the time and at most locations the Autobahn is clogged with traffic and construction just like our interstates.

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 01:33 PM

We do. Driven in North Dakota, Montana, or Wyoming lately? I had to drive from Grand Forks ND to Minot ND several times back in the late 90s and the road was so dead straight, flat, and void of other drivers I could have taken a 20-minute nap and not veered out of my lane.

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by wingman

We do. Driven in North Dakota, Montana, or Wyoming lately? I had to drive from Grand Forks ND to Minot ND several times back in the late 90s and the road was so dead straight, flat, and void of other drivers I could have taken a 20-minute nap and not veered out of my lane.

Um... I actually live in montana and yes there is tons of open road but the speed limit is only 80mph, boring.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Stanton

No point. I can pretty much guaranty you that transports will be leap frogging in the two right lanes and an old oriental female will be doing ten under the limit in the left lane - where its her God-given right to drive!

^^ This is exactly right! ^^
Posted By: theraif

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/20/22 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by bigdad
I often race others at the track 4-5 seconds slower than me , that last 100 foot or so is pretty fun ..kinda dangerous , I once raced Omni that was 14 seconds slower

thats why we ran a cage in our mid 13 sec dart , i loved racing faster cars
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 12:43 AM

Seems like a pretty smart thing to do..............................

Oops - there's a deer in the road!
Posted By: A12

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Seems like a pretty smart thing to do..............................

Oops - there's a deer in the road!

More like: Oops - there's a dee shock

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 03:04 AM

I've driven a lot on the autobahn, took a wrong turn and the autobahn ended with no exits for about 10 kilometers. First chance to turn around was where it ended so turned around and re-entered. Knew that it was wide open, no traffic and no speed limit in that section and no Polizei and the Benz E series pedal was to the floor.......just about hit 250 but took the photo at 220........KM's wink think it hit 240 but was looking at the road. Yeah it didn't happen if you ain't got a photo grin

I was impressed with the performance of that Mercedes E series.........why? well if you look close at the instruments you might get a clue.

Attached picture MVC-008Spa 220kph (4).jpg
Attached picture MVC-009Spa Merc (3).JPG
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 07:31 AM

I've passed another airplane that was going around 150 MPH ground speed when I was going right at 190 MPH ground speed, we were both at 7500 ft. above sea level and I saw him in front of me about 1.0 miles, Iturned to the right and passed him about 200 to 300 ft off his right wing tip, that may have taken 2 to 5 minutes to get by him.
It did not seem real fast or real slow shruggy
180 MPH equals right at 284 ft. Per second, almost a football field every second. You have to get your mind use to thinking about 5 minutes ahead of your actual location so you can start your descents, turns or climbs on time in the proper location twocents
I've flown (as a co pilot) in a lot faster (350 MPH) airplane also, they are a real challenge on flight planning, power management, turns, descents and climbs and change of flight plans work
It is amazing what we have learn to do and make work up

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I
180 MPH equals right at 284 ft. Per second, almost a football field every second. You have to get your mind use to thinking about 5 minutes ahead of your actual location so you can start your descents, turns or climbs on time in the proper location twocents

He was driving 360+ft per second, and he sustained it. Amazing!!

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 01:32 PM

Started to rethink this and wondered what the speed rating is for the tires he was running? I'm sure they had to be rated for more than the top speed capability of the car......or at least what the car's top speed capability was as it left the factory. Goodyear made that mistake back in the '80's when it boosted in a commercial about how "Every Ferrari that leaves the factory headed to America leaves on Goodyear tires". It came back to bite them in the event in Neveda (or out West) that had the closed off section of highway in the middle of nowhere that allowed entrants to drive their cars as fast or how they wanted. A guy entered it with his latest, new, fast Ferrari with his wife as passenger with the stock Goodyear tires that were only speed rated to 130 MPH and of course one rear tire blew at close to or over 150 MPH, flipped several times and killed his wife. He sued Goodyear for the crash and it got really ugly for a while. All Goodyear ended up doing was to put a decal on the steering wheel with the tire's speed rating and DOT information because they didn't immediately have tires that were speed and safety rated to the Ferrari's capabilities. I never even gave it a second thought on that Mercedes about the tire's speed ratings duh, hindsight is 120/120+ I hope wink That in a nutshell would be the doom or downside of having highways in the USA without speed limits, German TUV regulations for vehicle safety standards covers idiots a lot better than the current DOT/SAE standards here and they would have to change and be in place for a longtime before they could change. Sort of but not really like the roll cage regulations for drag racing and all of these sub 9 second EV and ICE cars we're starting to see.

Found it:

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Started to rethink this and wondered what the speed rating is for the tires he was running? I'm sure they had to be rated for more than the top speed capability of the car......

I forget the specifics, but they are. They are custom made for that car and cost a fortune each to replace.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by DirectSubjection
Originally Posted by A12
Started to rethink this and wondered what the speed rating is for the tires he was running? I'm sure they had to be rated for more than the top speed capability of the car......

I forget the specifics, but they are. They are custom made for that car and cost a fortune each to replace.

I seem to recall ~ $25,000 and ea high speed run like that requires a new set.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 02:12 PM

James May took a Veyron to top speed on VWs test track on top gear years ago. He stated that at that speed the tires will only last like 12 miles, but it doesn't carry enough fuel for that to be a problem.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Started to rethink this and wondered what the speed rating is for the tires he was running? I'm sure they had to be rated for more than the top speed capability of the car......or at least what the car's top speed capability was as it left the factory. Goodyear made that mistake back in the '80's when it boosted in a commercial about how "Every Ferrari that leaves the factory headed to America leaves on Goodyear tires". It came back to bite them in the event in Neveda (or out West) that had the closed off section of highway in the middle of nowhere that allowed entrants to drive their cars as fast or how they wanted. A guy entered it with his latest, new, fast Ferrari with his wife as passenger with the stock Goodyear tires that were only speed rated to 130 MPH and of course one rear tire blew at close to or over 150 MPH, flipped several times and killed his wife. He sued Goodyear for the crash and it got really ugly for a while. All Goodyear ended up doing was to put a decal on the steering wheel with the tire's speed rating and DOT information because they didn't immediately have tires that were speed and safety rated to the Ferrari's capabilities. I never even gave it a second thought on that Mercedes about the tire's speed ratings duh, hindsight is 120/120+ I hope wink That in a nutshell would be the doom or downside of having highways in the USA without speed limits, German TUV regulations for vehicle safety standards covers idiots a lot better than the current DOT/SAE standards here and they would have to change and be in place for a longtime before they could change. Sort of but not really like the roll cage regulations for drag racing and all of these sub 9 second EV and ICE cars we're starting to see.

Back around 1981, I was going to a car show early on a Sat. morning in my 71 Hemi Charger & was going past the Pontiac Silverdome on a wide open stretch of highway - nobody on the road besides me. I decided to take her up. I remember the speedo at 145 & my RPM's were 5800, then it flashed into my head that my tires were older Polyglas GT bias ply tires that were probably not safe over 110 or so. I got on the brakes quickly after this revelation! Whew!

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 06:06 PM

...aaand now this video is being used as ammo to try to get an 80mph limit imposed over the whole Autobahn network. The green party has been trying to get this for years but they never had enough power before to make a serious attempt.

Hopefully the billionaires won't ruin it for the "rest of us". grin

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/germany-criticizes-czech-tycoons-257-mph-autobahn-ride-82352460#:~:text=While%20much%20of%20Germany's%20Autobahn,lead%20to%20endangering%20road%20users.%E2%80%9D

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/21/22 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bad340fish
James May took a Veyron to top speed on VWs test track on top gear years ago. He stated that at that speed the tires will only last like 12 miles, but it doesn't carry enough fuel for that to be a problem.

I heard when the hellcat came out that it would run out of fuel in about 18 minutes at WOT.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 01/24/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by GregY

That was my thought during it too. Even the sound.

Crazy stupid to drive that fast even if it is legal.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: What it looks like when you pass a car at 250 miles per hour - 02/02/22 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
Originally Posted by GregY

That was my thought during it too. Even the sound.

Crazy stupid to drive that fast even if it is legal.

Czech real estate tycoon Radim Passer has been officially scolded by the German

Legal or not, the German Transport Ministry was not happy with him. Even though technically he broke no laws, he put others at risk going that fast.

"anyone participating in traffic must behave in such a way that no other person is harmed, endangered or obstructed or inconvenienced more than is unavoidable under the circumstances."

german government scolds tycoon influencer LINKY
© 2024 Moparts Forums