Moparts

Special effects before CGI

Posted By: SattyNoCar

Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 04:43 PM

Sorry its a Chevrolet commercial, but I find it interesting how special effects were done before CGI. 26 men, 8 days and a ton of equipment for a 2 minute commercial..... shock

popcorn

Posted By: kidmopar

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 08:33 PM

what's "cgi" ? shruggy work
Posted By: 318 Stroker

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 08:38 PM

computer-generated imagery
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 09:00 PM

I remember watching Flash Gordon on the Late Late and the spaceships were suspended by visible strings.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by kidmopar

Where the heck have you been? Hibernating since the 70s ??

Attached picture 1 HHuh.jpg
Posted By: topside

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 09:44 PM

The exploded car seems a bit gratuitous, but amusing...
Yup, before computers, FX was really time-consuming and clever.
A girlfriend in the mid-80s worked at an FX place in SoCal; a fascinating place to walk through.
One of the jobs they did was the mushroom clouds for a movie - called The Day After, IIRC.
They made the mushroom cloud events in a chamber maybe 36" tall.

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 09:50 PM

Before CGI, they had to be creative. Nothing compares to a REAL car stunt. The CGI crap used in the Fast and Furious movies made action movies a complete joke. These idiots have cars jumping between skyscraper buildings, out of cargo planes, bodies flying through the air to land on flying cars...all sorts of stupid stuff.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 09:55 PM

Like the sharknado movies....sad.

Originally Posted by Frankenduster
Before CGI, they had to be creative. Nothing compares to a REAL car stunt. The CGI crap used in the Fast and Furious movies made action movies a complete joke. These idiots have cars jumping between skyscraper buildings, out of cargo planes, bodies flying through the air to land on flying cars...all sorts of stupid stuff.

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 11:08 PM

Yes. The action movies have become a mockery of themselves.
Posted By: 5carguy

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/04/22 11:41 PM

I didn't know what it meant either.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/05/22 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by 5carguy

I didn't know what it meant either.

My bad. I thought it was common knowledge. blush

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/05/22 01:53 AM

It is common knowledge for anyone that has had their eyes open. If you can figure out how to get on the internet, you cannot be a total idiot. How stuff like that slips by is that they just don't pay attention.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/05/22 02:27 AM

Whatta ya mean I wasn't paying attention???? catfight

What were we talking about? shruggy grin
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/05/22 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by topside
One of the jobs they did was the mushroom clouds for a movie - called The Day After, IIRC.
They made the mushroom cloud events in a chamber maybe 36" tall.

For "The Day After" (1983), they wanted to use actual nuclear test footage but (I think) the gov't wouldn't allow it for some reason. (I seem to recall that they insisted that the film show explicitly that the USSR attacked first, and the director refused).
Anyhow they squirted ink into a tank of water, then turned the shot upside down so it looked like a climbing mushroom cloud. twocents
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/05/22 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Frankenduster

I have a car chase movie from 1978 that features a set piece of a Corvette jumping from one building to another. I'm 99% sure it was done with a miniature though.
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/05/22 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by That AMC Guy

I have a car chase movie from 1978 that features a set piece of a Corvette jumping from one building to another. I'm 99% sure it was done with a miniature though.

What movie? Is it on youtube?

In the ad at the top I noticed that the seat goes on the bare frame @2:10-2:11. Shouldn't the body be in place first? Maybe it's a Flintstone car.
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Special effects before CGI - 01/05/22 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Soopernaut
Originally Posted by That AMC Guy

What movie? Is it on youtube?

In the ad at the top I noticed that the seat goes on the bare frame @2:10-2:11. Shouldn't the body be in place first? Maybe it's a Flintstone car.

My bad, it wasn't a 'Vette, but a Mercedes Benz sedan. The star was driving the 'Vette. Speedtrap! with Joe Don Baker.

© 2024 Moparts Forums