Moparts

Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)?

Posted By: calmopar

Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 02:18 AM

My friend lost his mind, I think, and bought a single SVO head M6049D46. I looked it up and I guess it would be saleable, except it's not a set, it's just one head.

Do people buy just one head? I am not sure what to tell him other than "Why do you buy stuff to resell when you don't know if you can sell it or for how much???" because I told him that already.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 03:33 AM

I have done it a couple of times as one head was cracked or had a dropped valve and unrepairable. Heads are heads, as long as you match them up valve size and ports size then it is no issue. twocents
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 04:04 AM

Sure. Some engines do have a left and a right side head, like the 3G Hemi.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 12:41 PM

I know a guy doing an OHV conversion on a flathead 4 using a single V8 head.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=thefreewheelingtonysmith&set=a.4191388320882392
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=thefreewheelingtonysmith&set=a.4191388320882392

Seems like I recall somebody around here hotrodding a slant four with a super duty 421 head. Unless I was doing something like that or needed one head to replace a bad one I'd think the market would be infinitesimally small.

Gotta correct that, really old memories, he was running a RAIV head on that thing. I know it had to be adapted to the earlier engine, completely forgotten what had to be done. Pontiac heads have a couple or three year breaks for one thing or another.

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper

that's cool.

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 3hundred

Unless I was doing something like that or needed one head to replace a bad one I'd think the market would be infinitesimally small.

That was my take but I wanted to mine the hive mind for confirmation.

My advice will be to throw it up on the bag with a guesstimate price and 'make offer' and see how it goes.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 08:50 PM

Couple years ago I was shopping for a set of gen I hemi adjustable rockers. I found and bought a half set figuring some day I'd find another half. Then the next year I found a full set at a bargain. So now what ?!?! I listed them on Hot Heads' site and although it took a while, a guy in New Zealand bought them. Oh, they too 4 months to get there !!

I guess it depends on the rarity of the item in question. Would you buy one gen II hemi head at a bargain price? I would !!
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 08:58 PM

I listed some 340 heads on eBay some guy bought them but said ship one as he did not want to pay shipping on 2 as he had a cracked head.
So i got my price and gave the other to a member here that was local for same reason many years later.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 09:25 PM

If I had a heads sitting for sale (which I do) it would be for one or all doesn't matter to me
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 09:47 PM

I had a local machine shop call me to see if I could flow two Hemi heads for a customer. They had two different part numbers and he wanted to know if they could be used. They tested good enough for what he wanted to do with them.
Posted By: scratchnfotraction

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/18/21 09:49 PM

sure I have bought and sold 1 head busting up a set. crack a 340 X head and try to find just one. they are out there and sometimes you have to sit on them a while but one day junk becomes gold.

what I have found amazing was working on mopars back in the late 70s early 80s finding mix matched 318/360 heads 1.78/1.5 valve one side 1.88/1.60 other side as repairs started to stack up on used cars/trucks. or 340 engines with 2.02 1 side 1/88 other side

found a drum brake on left front and a disc/rotor/spindle change on the other side. neither side had working brakes but you could steer it down the road.

2 valve covers with PCV and flat rubber block offs where oil cap goes. customer asked me to show them how you add oil. I said get another mechanic first and have him add oil when he installs the correct VC on it.

any one need a 318 #302 head 1.78/1.5 valves/ I have just one and it is free.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Ever heard of buying/selling 1 V8 head (out of a pair)? - 05/19/21 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by scratchnfotraction

what I have found amazing was working on mopars back in the late 70s early 80s finding mix matched 318/360 heads 1.78/1.5 valve one side 1.88/1.60 other side as repairs started to stack up on used cars/trucks. or 340 engines with 2.02 1 side 1/88 other side

iagree
I have found this on multiple MOPAR engines of all sizes through the years
© 2024 Moparts Forums