Moparts

Home insurance premium up 11.5%

Posted By: second 70

Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 03:30 PM

Thanks to the inflation cost of building materials my replacement cost went up $25,500 which caused the premium to go up 11.5%. Talked to others who saw similar results. They don't miss a trick when they get a chance to raise but usually ignore reasons to lower premiums. I'm sure they'll lower it next year when prices come back down. NOT! Lol
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 03:32 PM

Yep. Mine went from $1600 to $2400! And I have high deductibles and limited coverage.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 04:37 PM

Yep, my increase is similar to Larry's. I'm seriously considering cancelling my homeowner's insurance and banking the money I pay them. If a "Hurricane Michael" ever happens to strike here, I'll suck it up and rebuild on my own dime...

EDIT: And for many in this area, the government just updated the flood plane maps. I have 3 friends, all neighbors to each other, that have suddenly been told they're REQUIRED to purchase flood insurance, even though they've never flooded. One of the 3 just finished building his house a year ago, and built his house 24" above what's required. Now HE has to go through the process of proving that he's above the flood plane.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 07:51 PM

Most of THEM apimp are LIARS and THIEVES anyways... as one of THEM apimp here can confirm tsk

Mark me down for self insurance ..... as many do in this area.

MUCH of the insurance biz is a RACKET and a CON

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 07:58 PM

I believe we must have insurance, or at least liability. Got to cover someone being injured on your property. But it is getting outrageous. I moved into my house in 1997. Concrete block/stucco. I added more hurricane protection. Hurricane straps to trusses. I have corrugated steel shutters for every glass. I had a wind mitigation survey and got a thumbs up. I'm not covered for flood because my area is very low risk for flood. In my 24 years I've never had a claim. But every year they have an excuse why my rates jump.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 08:14 PM

Condos are diff ... no choice on the basic insurance you have to carry because MOST units are mortgaged.... but that’s a BIG PART of the monthly condo fee.

Inside contents are optional AND EXPENSIVE...all considered

Because this place is a waterfront SALT WATER abode and is real close to the Gulf o Mex. THAT gets expensive covering that .....

Like ... total coverage WITH A HUGE DEDUCTIBLE.... 130k$ per year
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 09:19 PM

I've been looking for places to retire, what I'm finding is most places housing is appreciating ~ 4% month, including here. The taxing authorities are collecting windfalls, on occasion they'll adjust their percentage down when this happens but it's a token. I'd started thinking I'd be able to retire here but it won't happen when my "rent" is $1,000 / month and rising rapidly.

Naturally insurance costs are following along but at least for us, it's about 1/5th of the taxes.
Posted By: 4406bbl

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 09:47 PM

Material cost is just the excuse....the blm summer of riots is the real reason.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 4406bbl
Material cost is just the excuse....the blm summer of riots is the real reason.

Yeah, except that it's not. shruggy

My home insurance premium went up about 8%. Still a bargain, relative to the value of the assets I'm insuring. Car insurance is much more expensive than home insurance for most people in general, but even for those in hurricane/tornado prone areas, it's still usually cheaper than car insurance when you compare the values of the assets in question.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 10:06 PM

I just double checked my numbers. I'm up OVER 50%!

I understand 5%-10% increases, but not over 50%.

We can probably thank injury attorneys for some, just as we can for auto insurance increases

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 11:10 PM

ANYONE REMEMBER when the primary meaning of the word PREMIUM meant .....

...a REWARD ??!!

Oh how that word has be throughly CORRUPTED by those dastardly apimp ...

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360

We can probably thank injury attorneys for some, just as we can for auto insurance increases

Your HO went up 50%? Or auto?

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

Your HO went up 50%? Or auto?
Homeowners

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 11:23 PM

Them dirty DIRTY birds tsk

Called Allstate on their ad campaign.....

SAVE 700$ on your auto policy ...

The agent pulls a Sgt Schultz on me tsk

Attached picture 86E65E3C-5E8E-4200-B59E-214742E2BDCA.jpeg

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 11:24 PM

That's a massive increase, even for FL. Materials costs absolutely are contributing to the increases many (including me) are seeing, but 50%? Wow.
Posted By: srt

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 11:30 PM

I believe living in a high risk area can affect rates. Fire, Flood, Hurricane,Tornado or Earthquake can all cause rates to change after the event.
Living in the woods/fire land has been problematic to find insurance.
I have a good insurance man and have improved the land and home to be fire safe (brush and weeds removed, tempered windows, 1/8" vent screens, etc/). Didn't cut rates, but I pay far less than some nearby homes.
I also found that the land value does not need to be included in coverage. Also, buying a lower value policy (entire home is seldom a loss) and adding replacement cost, and constructing cost riders lessened the premium.
Last the liability (trip stumble fall is a way to save. If carrying liability on cars, homes, boats, bikes, etc why not see if an umbrella works better?

Even with all that above I noticed most sky scrapers, are owned by insurance companies, and all their offices, even in small towns have the nicest carpets, furnishings and location.
Posted By: cudatom

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 11:45 PM

Just paid my condo insurance basically no change. It was actually $2 less than last yr. My home owners premium for our primary residence isn't due till June so I don't know yet but last yr it was 20% less than 2019 with no reduction in coverage or increase in deductable.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/24/21 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by cudatom
Just paid my condo insurance basically no change. It was actually $2 less than last yr. My home owners premium for our primary residence isn't due till June so I don't know yet but last yr it was 20% less than 2019 with no reduction in coverage or increase in deductable.

What coverages and limits ?

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 12:00 AM

That's a massive increase, even for FL. Materials costs absolutely are contributing to the increases many (including me) are seeing, but 50%? Wow.
That's what I thought. They sent me two links to read about why, which I ignored. I went from $1600/annually to just under $2500. I requested to drop coverage on any personal property, and was told they could not (no explanation as to why) but could drop it to the lowest which is $30k. They shopped around again, and found nothing lower. I was told the rebuild cost on my 1100sq/ft home was $169k. Again, no flood coverage, high deductibles.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by srt
I believe living in a high risk area can affect rates. Fire, Flood, Hurricane,Tornado or Earthquake can all cause rates to change after the event.
Living in the woods/fire land has been problematic to find insurance.
I have a good insurance man and have improved the land and home to be fire safe (brush and weeds removed, tempered windows, 1/8" vent screens, etc/). Didn't cut rates, but I pay far less than some nearby homes.
I also found that the land value does not need to be included in coverage. Also, buying a lower value policy (entire home is seldom a loss) and adding replacement cost, and constructing cost riders lessened the premium.
Last the liability (trip stumble fall is a way to save. If carrying liability on cars, homes, boats, bikes, etc why not see if an umbrella works better?

Even with all that above I noticed most sky scrapers, are owned by insurance companies, and all their offices, even in small towns have the nicest carpets, furnishings and location.
We've been without a big storm for quite awhile now, and I'm without a claim ever, in all my 24 years in this house. I've never had any insurance claim in all my life in fact. I reduced my personal property to the lowest they'll allow. Right now I'm with Swyft (SP?). I was always under the impression even with an umbrella policy, liability was still necessary coverage. No?

Thanks for info. Larry
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 02:59 AM

That's what I thought. They sent me two links to read about why, which I ignored. I went from $1600/annually to just under $2500. I requested to drop coverage on any personal property, and was told they could not (no explanation as to why) but could drop it to the lowest which is $30k. They shopped around again, and found nothing lower. I was told the rebuild cost on my 1100sq/ft home was $169k. Again, no flood coverage, high deductibles.

Maybe its time for a new agency?
My HO insurance agent started laying on the BS about how my insurance had to keep up with replacement costs. I told him, not really. If my house burned to the ground, I could find a much nicer home for a lot less then it would cost to rebuild what I had. He told me his "hands were tied" until I told him I guessed I would have to find someone who's hands were not so tied. A couple weeks later he called me with a replacement coverage from a different company for a lot less then he could offer before.

About every 6 years, I check prices of both HO and auto from different agents. I'm not jumping ship unless the cost savings is significant, but I'm not letting the old agent rip me off either. Gene

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 03:47 AM

pb.....do you know on a list of the most DISRESPECTED PROFESSIONS .... where insurance agents are ?

3 ... 1st are politicians ... 2nd - car dealers

Nuff said

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 04:44 AM

Both policies are full replacement cost up to available limits. The policies also provide liability coverage, med pay coverage for guests, coverage for personal property (this is replacement cost as well), coverage for property off premise, trees, out buildings etc. I could go on and o I'm not willing to type my policy in full. Deductible is $1000.

What are types of covered losses, in Ohio pretty much everything except flood or wear tear and deterioration Considering the home location that risk is zero for flood and no policy covers wear and tear.. In Florida I only have to worry about anything outside the drywall and my improvements as well as my personal property. I will tell you that our association's condo premium is 54k. That works out to $675 per unit. All are townhomes and the premium does include hurricane coverage. I've never had a claim in Ohio and our association hasn't had a claim since 2006.

What you don't seem to understand is premiums are based on risk and claim history. My condo isn't on the beach its 5 miles away. We are also located on the highest point in Volusia County. In Ohio I'm no where near a flood plain, lake, river or stream. My property isn't low lying, I'm close to a fire department as well as hydrants (less than 100').

Handled insurance claims for 28 yrs, read your policy, know your policy. If you don't have an insurance check up every couple yrs that on you. If you don't check for better rates every couple of yrs thats also on you.
Posted By: massdaytona

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 12:33 PM

my agent called me last month n told me to expect a 'large' HO increase- didn't know how much, but said prob 50%-

insurance co's r like the old roach motel commercials..... the monies check in... but never check out...
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 12:40 PM

Handled insurance claims for 28 yrs . . . If you don't check for better rates every couple of yrs thats also on you.

I was under the (false) impression that loyalty is rewarded early in my life. Found out years later that doing so resulted in a creeping rate that felt like a game of “how high can we sneak up before he gets pissed and leaves”. Eventually I started shopping around and found I not only could get a better deal, but a far better deal by going elsewhere.

Nowhere was this more appearentl than when my boys began driving, I would change policies as needed, often yearly. It appeared as if some would give a good introductory offer then stick it to me at renewal. Now that it’s just the wife and I, things have quieted a bit, but I keep a close eye on things and will never hesitate to jump. I’ve been insurance shopping for at least 15 years, I check with a broker who handles 15 different companies and check with at least 4 major carriers each time.

I don’t care to add up what I’ve spent but can say that in 38 years of being a customer I have had 2 claims totaling about 2k dollars.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by AAR#2
Handled insurance claims for 28 yrs . . . If you don't check for better rates every couple of yrs thats also on you.

I was under the (false) impression that loyalty is rewarded early in my life. .

Problem is insurance isn't a loyalty industry. It is all about the risk. When your kids started driving the risk of a claim went up. Also agents have almost nothing to do with what your policy costs. The only impact they have is looking for available discounts. What your agent will do, well a good one is fight for you if you have a claim and are having issues with the claim rep.

Point in case, my entire family has coverage with the same company but different agents. I told them they should switch to my agent they asked why. Told them their agent was an ass, he never fights for his policyholder, is a straight up corporate man and he was more than likely not giving them the discounts they qualify for and recommended deductibles that were too high. They all pooh hooed me. Then they had a claim. I just laughed. They finally switched but by then it was too late and they lost money.

I really enjoyed showing them my coverages and rates compared to theirs. They said the agent stated the higher deductible saved money. I said it did but did you ask what the savings was. They said no. I told them it was $6 per 6 months for their higher deductible. Explained that it would take 12.5 yrs of premiums to pay for the difference in the deductible. They still argued I was wrong. I finally got my dad to sit down with my agent. One of the first things he asked was what did Tom tell you? My dad repeated it and was told I was exactly right and why would he argue with me. I still rub it in.

Back to loyalty I learned early in life there really is no such thing when it comes to money. So if its a business you can expect them to lool out for them 1st. Loyalty is only between a man and his dog and maybe not even then if there are treats involved.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 02:27 PM

I shop for insurance every few years. Just did so again this year, stayed with my current insurer even though their claims service sucks. No one came within $400 of them this year for home/auto combined. That said, I would never recommend them (Met Life) to anyone who didn't have extensive claims experience because the service is so poor. I can deal with it for $400/year, but if I didn't have the background I do, the $400 savings wouldn't be worth it.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 02:32 PM

I shop for insurance every few years. Just did so again this year, stayed with my current insurer even though their claims service sucks. No one came within $400 of them this year for home/auto combined. That said, I would never recommend them (Met Life) to anyone who didn't have extensive claims experience because the service is so poor. I can deal with it for $400/year, but if I didn't have the background I do, the $400 savings wouldn't be worth it.

WHO COULD POSSIBLY KNOW ... shruggy whistling

That an insurance pro would run into a CLAIMS apimp that SUX !

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 02:35 PM

I had good service from Allstate (surprisingly) when their insured opened his door into my wife's car and dented the fender. I had good service from Progressive (twice) when their insureds hit my wife's car. None of these accidents were her fault.

I had terrible claims service from Chubb when I was rear-ended by a Chubb insured. I had terrible service from Met Life when my wife was involved in a disputed lane-change accident,and we went through our own Met Life policy for the repairs. I had terrible service when my wife's car was hit on the freeway by a hit-and-run driver, and we went through our own Met Life policy for the repairs. I also had terrible service from Met Life on a homeowners claim.
Posted By: AAR#2

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 03:35 PM

I don’t even bundle anymore, I’ve found that the best price from two different companies is often far batter than a bundle where a company has a good rate for one and not the other.

My last switch was when my home insurance went up 40%, called the insurance company and started asking questions. First we argued what 40% was and after a little math lesson I was told the increase was due to all the California wild fires . . . WHAT, I live in AZ, not looking to subsidize the CA folks (sorry to the wife’s family if any are reading this). I ended up going to another company for 50% of what I was paying.

Funny story, When I was 18 and in the military I had a couple speeding tickets (2), while living in NC. A couple months later I went to a bar and had someone decided to do a tap dance on the hood and break the front window, total claim in 1983 after my deductible was $800. Within a week of the claim being settled I received a cancellation notice. At that point I made a lifelong commitment that under no circumstance would I ever use that insurance company again. Problem is I’m about 70% sure it was State Farm but I’ve had to eliminate Allstate as well since the memory is a little foggy.

Funny how a brief encounter can affect a lifetime of decisions.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 03:37 PM

I don’t even bundle anymore, I’ve found that the best price from two different companies is often far batter than a bundle where a company has a good rate for one and not the other.

Excellent point.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 06:59 PM

I’ve had Erie insurance on my cars for 49 years and on my house and shop since 1985.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 08:50 PM

Nothing wrong with that either. If you're happy with the price and the service, that's all that matters.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/25/21 11:59 PM

I've been with USAA for 34 years, but after reading this thread it might be worth checking around shruggy

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/26/21 12:07 AM

No downside to checking.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/26/21 11:38 AM

unfort u have to shop for just about anything.... we heat with oil in our house... we get a good price in the 1st year, the renewal price always goes up, but if u r a new customer, the price is cheaper... so much for loyalty... hence every year we change ...

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/26/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by massdaytona
unfort u have to shop for just about anything.... we heat with oil in our house... we get a good price in the 1st year, the renewal price always goes up, but if u r a new customer, the price is cheaper... so much for loyalty... hence every year we change ...

ANYONE reading here get the LPG propain deals ?

Way more sinister than heating oil eek
Posted By: moparx

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/26/21 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I’ve had Erie insurance on my cars for 49 years and on my house and shop since 1985.

i have also been with erie.[since about 1972ish ?] also with the house when we bought it in 1983.
on the car insurance, we have been with them long enough now, they have frozen the rates forever.......unless we move or change cars. [luckily, that ain't gonna happen ! boogie]
beer
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/26/21 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

i have also been with erie.[since about 1972ish ?] also with the house when we bought it in 1983.
on the car insurance, we have been with them long enough now, they have frozen the rates forever.......unless we move or change cars. [luckily, that ain't gonna happen ! boogie]
beer

That have been more than fair with me. I think my house and shop for new replacement insurance is around 550.00 for my house and shop. I had a chimney cap leak years ago and mess up the paint on my living room wall. When the appraisal guy came he looked at my cathedral ceilings that ran into the dining room, kitchen, and hall and said where the heck do I start and stop. Lol. I said paint it all and he said I’m going to have to. 2 days, 2 men later they were done painting. I paid the painters a little extra and they hey painted two doors for me.

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/26/21 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
Originally Posted by massdaytona

ANYONE reading here get the LPG propain deals ?
Way more sinister than heating oil eek

on the beach we own the 1000gall tank, so again gotta shop around... the big local is paraco, and they are always at least a buck a gallon over the small guys - a few cents i can understand but a buck... sometimes more... guess a lot of people don't care to shop it

Re: Home insurance premium up 11.5% - 04/26/21 10:41 PM

OWNING the tank is the ticket but most homeowners don’t ....

They’re at the mercy of the supplier of the tank ... and that can be brutal
© 2024 Moparts Forums