Moparts

Artificial Grass?

Posted By: Challenger340Kid

Artificial Grass? - 03/09/21 05:46 PM

Anyone have artificial grass? Or do you know someone who has it or has had it? Prior to owning our house, someone removed all of the real grass and put in mulch / stones. Since we have a pool with an enclosed lanai (we are in Florida), I really don't want to go back to the real grass. I don't want to have lines run for sprinklers, or have to mow / trim around the lanai. Not a huge fan of our current mulch and stones, so I was thinking about fake grass. Just looking for anyone with any experience with it, good or bad.

Thanks!
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Artificial Grass? - 03/09/21 06:24 PM

Great idea! I can't speak from experience...I'm still mowing, pulling weeds, watering and fertilizing my lawn. I really like the look of the stuff the NFL plays on these days.
Check this out: https://easyturf.com/residential/ They do residential "lawns" as well.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Artificial Grass? - 03/09/21 07:22 PM

The stuff that they make residential lawns out of is a bit different than the stuff they use on sports fields. Athletics fields are "infilled" for grip and cushioning--lawns are not. But basically the same idea.

The benefits are obvious--you basically listed them already. Little maintenance and they are always green.

There are only a few downsides:
Cost. Much higher than a regular lawn. Sure you save on maintenance, but it will not be enough to "break even" over the life of the lawn.
Limited life. The UV and wear will eventually cause it to fade and deteriorate--and the plastic grass will then have ripped up and disposed of. They last a while, though.
Appearance. This one is subjective, but no one will mistake a fake lawn for a real one. They have come a long way from the Astroturf days, but they still don't look real.
Heat. On hot sunny days, they soak up lots of heat and then radiate it back up at you. More like concrete than grass in that regard. They get HOT!
Posted By: jcc

Re: Artificial Grass? - 03/09/21 08:06 PM

My daughter in Fla removed the garden that had river rock, etc around her enclosed pool, and installed artificial grass. They liked it, it looked nice, and I bet its got at least a 10 year useful life.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: Artificial Grass? - 03/09/21 09:02 PM

Cutting grass is the best part of my day. up
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Artificial Grass? - 03/09/21 10:23 PM

I have it, Ive been told it is high quality material. But it was already here when we bought the house.

I love it, and dont have to mow chit

Attached picture 20200322_164504.jpg
Attached picture 20200322_164523.jpg
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Artificial Grass? - 03/09/21 10:41 PM

Got dogs? You'll need to wash and sanitize it every couple of weeks. Baking soda and a hose works.
Posted By: blewbyu

Re: Artificial Grass? - 03/10/21 12:23 AM

I have a buddy that installs it just south of Orlando. It's a very nice product. I would not hesitate using it as the technoligy has come a long way.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Artificial Grass? - 03/11/21 03:58 PM

and here i thought this was a thread about artificial "grass".......... apimp whistling laugh2
beer
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Artificial Grass? - 03/11/21 04:26 PM

I’m going to do a side section of it this spring.
© 2024 Moparts Forums