Moparts

Jim Beam Challenger decanters?

Posted By: 70VcodeCoronetRT

Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/16/21 04:49 PM

How many different colors did they make of the Jim Beam Challenger decanters? I remember the Yellow, Plum Crazy, Red and Blue. Did they make any others?
Posted By: Dartman440

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/16/21 07:39 PM

[s][/s]They made 5 in total. Plum Crazy was the most made and the yellow T/A for stores with Whiskey. You had to be a member of the Jim Beam Decanter Club and those never were filled. I will list the colors in order they shipped them these were very limited. Sublime there were more of then they made lesser of and only to Top senior collectors were offered the Blue and the hardest is to get and only a handful in Red. I have 2 full sets that I picked up on when they were released years ago. If you have full Plum Crazy and yellow cars empty them. Over the years the whiskey seeps thru the decanter. They call them leakers.
Posted By: Hemi_Jack

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/16/21 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Dartman440
[s][/s]They made 5 in total. Plum Crazy was the most made and the yellow T/A for stores with Whiskey. You had to be a member of the Jim Beam Decanter Club and those never were filled. I will list the colors in order they shipped them these were very limited. Sublime there were more of then they made lesser of and only to Top senior collectors were offered the Blue and the hardest is to get and only a handful in Red. I have 2 full sets that I picked up on when they were released years ago. If you have full Plum Crazy and yellow cars empty them. Over the years the whiskey seeps thru the decanter. They call them leakers.

Thanks for the info on the leakers. I have had a Plum Crazy one sitting around in the box for over 20 years, just emptied it out after reading your post. I tasted it, terrible!

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/16/21 11:26 PM

Thanks, so the Blue, Red and Green were empty? That's good to know. I noticed Barrett Jackson has a red one going up for auction in mid Jan. I always thought it would be cool to have all of them.
Posted By: GTX4spd

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/17/21 12:53 AM

My daughter had a Plum Crazy one when she was in college, but it got knocked off a shelf & broken when some of her friends were dancing. whiney But I still have the box, so that’s something! grin
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/17/21 01:03 AM

I am sitting next to 2 of them.

Attached picture 20210116_190114.jpg
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/17/21 01:39 AM

I have a full purple one in the box in the basement.
Posted By: mopacltd

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/17/21 03:57 AM

I have a yellow one myself.
Posted By: second 70

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/17/21 05:06 PM

1 one ebay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-1970-Yellow-Jim-Beam-Challenger-R-T-Decantor/224020738695
Posted By: adventurer

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/17/21 05:55 PM

There is at least one more color than the 5 mentioned already because I own one. It is white. What I was told from the person I bought it from is when Jim Beam were trying to decide what colors to make they made a prototype run of a few colors. The box it came in is one of the purple car boxes but on both sides is handwritten in Sharpie 1 of 25 and #12. I have heard rumor there are some black ones but have never seen one. I have no way to prove the story is true of not other than the fact I have a white one and it is not a repainted purple car. twocents

Attached picture decanters.jpg
Posted By: moparx

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/17/21 06:24 PM

i have a yellow one as well. i bought it at the local liqueur store when they first came out but it was an empty version.
i don't remember if there was a choice between full or empty when i bought it.
there are several of the purple and yellow ones show up at the local flea market every month in the summer from the same vendor.
i can't remember what he was asking, but it seemed reasonable.
they did, however, show up month after month [and this has been ongoing for several years now] except for this year when the flea market was cancelled due to the virus.
i don't know if he has a bunch of them, or nobody has any interest.
beer
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/18/21 12:26 PM

I used to collect those. No market value in 20+ years, but they look cool displayed anywhere. I heard from alot of people that the liquor always tasted terrible, so I never opened any.
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/18/21 01:43 PM

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/18/21 03:50 PM

Love the white one!!! If anyone has a red, blue or green one for sale. PM me thanks
Posted By: StrkrDart69

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/18/21 06:18 PM

Are they worth more fulll or empty? I have a full yellow. Never broke seal because I thought it would be worth more?

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/19/21 02:26 PM

I don't think the purple or yellow ones will ever be worth much. So I'm not sure that matters on those.
Posted By: adventurer

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/20/21 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by 4406forPOWER
I don't think the purple or yellow ones will ever be worth much. So I'm not sure that matters on those.

iagree plus the leaking issue over time stated earlier. As far as value they never have really gained much value over the years. The blue and green one bring a little more and there was a Red one on Ebay for a long time in the $1500 range don't know if it ever sold or not. Way more than I would pay for it but to each their own.

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/21/21 03:20 PM

Yeah, I never thought they had much chance of increasing in value. I just thought they were a cool display piece.
Posted By: sixpacksteve

Re: Jim Beam Challenger decanters? - 01/22/21 07:48 PM

maybe i'll just paint mine red!
© 2024 Moparts Forums