Moparts

Check the history on this Ferrari

Posted By: Frank Cannon

Check the history on this Ferrari - 12/09/20 08:34 PM

-Following its European racing run, the car was exported to the U.S. via Luigi Chinetti
-Chinetti is reputed to have sold the car to defense attorney Bill Galvin
-Paul Owens of Texas later purchased the car and installed a Chevrolet V-8 engine
-The car was also fitted with a Devin fiberglass body
-Drag racer Mike Sanfilippo purchased the car in 1990 for $200

https://mecumgallery.com/1952-ferra...p;utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=FL21

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Check the history on this Ferrari - 12/09/20 09:17 PM

And it will sell for millions, while here on Moparts, people will yell and scream that an admitted rebody ruins the value of a $100k car. laugh2
Posted By: topside

Re: Check the history on this Ferrari - 12/09/20 11:13 PM

Interesting car, though among Ferrari race cars, I'd put many others above it in the pecking order.
I knew several racers in the '50s, and as weird as it sounds now, the SBC replaced a lot of Euro engines.
Likewise, fragile & thin aluminum bodies were occasionally replaced or modified.
One of those guys had a Ferrari roadster racecar tucked in his home garage into the '70s.
I wasn't lucky enough to get more than a rough description of it, and wasn't opportunistic enough to try to buy it.
He eventually sold it in the late '70s and it got restored & sold for over a million many years ago.
Every time I see one of that general description, I wonder if it's that car.
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Check the history on this Ferrari - 12/10/20 12:12 AM

With race cars, I think the chassis rather than the body defines if it’s “real”. I know one of the original Posey Challengers was restored from a chassis. It was raced through the 70s with other bodies after 1970, GM bodies if I recall correctly, in different classes of racing. The chassis was later ID’d as an original Posey chassis and restored back to its original 1970 Trans Am season glory.
Vintage race cars are a different animal than stock vintage cars. Engines were changed routinely and bodies were repaired and replaced after accidents or to repurposed for another season or different class of racing. Numbers matching and original sheet metal rarely exist in that world.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Check the history on this Ferrari - 12/10/20 01:31 AM

Cool story. The guy who sold it for $200 missed out.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Check the history on this Ferrari - 12/10/20 06:04 PM

So the new owner is dropping in a "LS"? eyes
Posted By: GY3

Re: Check the history on this Ferrari - 12/10/20 08:25 PM

So they made it slow and ugly again and now it's worth millions?! shruggy
© 2024 Moparts Forums