Posted By: Neil

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 07:33 PM

Mud fence ugly.
Posted By: moparts

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 07:46 PM

Full loaded at $16,677
Posted By: topside

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 07:57 PM

Hmmm. At first, I thought "OK, that's the new Dakota and Mexico will be the test market".
Then I read about 1.3L, FWD, and not safety-rated for the US & Canada.
As tight as Chrysler's budget is, I'm a bit surprised they're building that.
Maybe it goes elsewhere as well, to compete with the Honda Ridgeline ?
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 08:35 PM

Hmm. How can there be a sizable market in Mexico when most of that country is trying to enter the US? Just wondering.
Posted By: Grizzly

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 08:59 PM

$12,000.00 for a regular cab 4 cylinder truck that probably gets 30+ mpg?

I see nothing wrong with that, they would sell tons of them here.

The box is probably bigger than these huge 4 door contraptions that cost 4 times as much.

Attached picture 30.jpg
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 09:00 PM

Not all Mexicans live in pallet houses. With Mexico city I think still being the 5th largest in the world at over 20 million people just as an example not all Mexicans are impoverished. Its actually a very interesting and fun country to visit and really if one had money not a bad place to live. Without getting deep into it here in this section, what keeps many Mexicans down is there government and the ones that mostly come here are not truly reflective of most Mexicans.

Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Hmm. How can there be a sizable market in Mexico when most of that country is trying to enter the US? Just wondering.

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 09:04 PM

I was thinking the same thing, but they did it there way by restricting the safety issues. When VW changed up the bug to the crappy new style in Mexico for 12k you could still and I did go down and imported one, a fuel injected, ac equipped beetle in the old traditional body style. Many dont know countries like mexico and poorer ones see vehicle ownership as a luxury and small motors, high mpg is the norm.

Originally Posted by Grizzly
$12,000.00 for a regular cab 4 cylinder truck that probably gets 30+ mpg?

I see nothing wrong with that, they would sell tons of them here.

The box is probably bigger than these huge 4 door contraptions that cost 4 times as much.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 09:09 PM

It looks like a modern version of a Dodge Rampage from the 80's, I can see a market for them.

No, it's not a full sized pickup but it could be just right for some people. twocents
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 09:28 PM

Agree they would sell like hot cakes here at those prices. Safety should be up to the buyer - seems silly cars get regulated to death over safety, yet you can go buy a 9-second crotch rocket and ride it on the same roads.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 09:55 PM

Well, the price is sure right, but it don't look so good! Looks more like a Subaru or something. Does not look like a DODGE!
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/07/20 11:29 PM

100 horsepower. And if it's anything like the Rampage, or worse yet the Caliber/Compass, they can keep them in south America.

In my experience, most domestic auto manufacturers fail miserable when they try to build a sub compact.
Posted By: Not_A_Duster

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 12:20 AM

Certainly is ugly. So is everything else nowadays.

But a small, affordable fwd 4 cylinder truck that gets great mileage?

Sign me up. It’d be a great sales call vehicle for the business.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 03:22 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but is there really a need for a truck in Mexico to be snow and ice ready? I just can't wrap my head around much ice being formed in Mexico, but I really have no idea what the Mexican terrain looks like other then what is shown in the movies.

As far as the truck is concerned, I'm passing. Gene
Posted By: RobG

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
100 horsepower. And if it's anything like the Rampage, or worse yet the Caliber/Compass, they can keep them in south America.

In my experience, most domestic auto manufacturers fail miserable when they try to build a sub compact.

Yep -

Attached picture Rampage20171029_150816.jpg
Attached picture scamp20171029_150841.jpg
Posted By: a12rag

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 02:42 PM

Well, its well over due that FCA gets back into a mid size truck . . . but this one is sub compact size, and arguably, it is probably on the small car platform FCA has in Europe. Gotta remember, that the car designers are probably 25-35yr olds, and looking at making vehicles for 25-45yr olds, not us "old guys" . . . it is a cool concept though . . .
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 05:17 PM

I look at that thing, and suddenly the image of Nancy Kerrigan screaming "WHY? WHYYYYYYYY?" popped into my head! puke
Posted By: IMGTX

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 06:39 PM

I would buy one.

90% of what I haul can be fit into the bed of a rampage. I have been looking for one and can't find them at a realistic price.

I have a big truck for towing and wouldn't mind a small truck for general stuff.

I have also gotten sick of 50,000 dollar perfumed [censored] trucks. It's a truck not a luxury car. I can roll my own windows down, I don't want fancy carpet, make it a rubber mat, and keep all that fancy sound deadening and electro garbage and make it less expensive.
Posted By: Not_A_Duster

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by IMGTX
I would buy one.

90% of what I haul can be fit into the bed of a rampage. I have been looking for one and can't find them at a realistic price.

I have a big truck for towing and wouldn't mind a small truck for general stuff.

I have also gotten sick of 50,000 dollar perfumed [censored] trucks. It's a truck not a luxury car. I can roll my own windows down, I don't want fancy carpet, make it a rubber mat, and keep all that fancy sound deadening and electro garbage and make it less expensive.

This is how I see it as well. we have a full size truck full of tools for jobsites & pulling our trailer full of scaffold. I can see loading this thing up with demos & driving around Western Canada on my regular sales trips for wayyyyyy lower cost than our big truck. Great for small local deliveries too. Might have to wear a paper bag with eyeholes cut out so nobody sees me in the ugly-ass thing, but that's a small problem......
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Potatohead
Not all Mexicans live in pallet houses. With Mexico city I think still being the 5th largest in the world at over 20 million people just as an example not all Mexicans are impoverished. Its actually a very interesting and fun country to visit and really if one had money not a bad place to live. Without getting deep into it here in this section, what keeps many Mexicans down is there government and the ones that mostly come here are not truly reflective of most Mexicans.

I was fortunate to go to Morelia on business a few years ago. We were there long enough to develop a bit of rapport with our Mexican liaison. One evening at dinner I asked him, in his opinion, what the major problem was in Mexico. He said that it was that Mexico has a large wealthy class, a small middle class, and a huge poor class. That's what my comment was based on.
Posted By: Tom_440

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 08:37 PM

I saw something like that here in Vegas a few months ago. Had to stop and check it out. I think they would sell a ton here on price alone.

021 Ram 700 SLT Regular Cab 2021 Ram 700 SLT Crew Cab 2021 Ram 700 Big Horn Crew Cab 2021 Ram 700 Laramie Crew Cab

US Dollars: $12,195 $13,440 $14,436 $16,677
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by IMGTX
I would buy one.

With a bed that small, you could fit the same payload into the trunk of your car. And the stuff wouldn't get wet.

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 08:55 PM

Im very familiar with that area of the country, Morelia proper is very small. If not further south in a couple tourist areas id hardly see any Americans in that state, easy place for Amricans to go missing.

What you wrote is not far off from what I did, the huge poor class is a large part due to the gov. Most cant grasp the nice parts of Mexico City put places like NYC to shame.

Originally Posted by Mr Potatohead

I was fortunate to go to Morelia on business a few years ago. We were there long enough to develop a bit of rapport with our Mexican liaison. One evening at dinner I asked him, in his opinion, what the major problem was in Mexico. He said that it was that Mexico has a large wealthy class, a small middle class, and a huge poor class. That's what my comment was based on.
Posted By: Butterscotch71

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/08/20 11:03 PM

looks like it's built on the small jeep platform
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/09/20 01:02 AM

I agree it's ugly, but tastes in other countries are very different, as are needs.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/09/20 02:02 AM

How can you call it ugly when we have stuff like this running around up here?

[Linked Image]

I dunno, I kinda like the two door version.......... catfight

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 5thAve

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/09/20 07:07 AM

Not that I'd buy one but they look better then some of the other vehicles being sold these days.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/09/20 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 5thAve
Not that I'd buy one but they look better then some of the other vehicles being sold these days.

Exactly. laugh2
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/09/20 11:29 AM

if it wasn't a ram/fiat they would sell a ton of them in this country.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/09/20 03:45 PM

One thing that caught my attention was is it being introduced as manual trans only, at least in the 2 dr. Dunno how that plays in Mexico but that was at least 1/2 of how the most recent Dart failed - US buyers have rejected manual transmission probably to keep that hand free for the cell phone. It does kinda channel the Rampage vibe but the Sprinter nose and Subaru Brat roof line doesn't exactly work. If it is actually built on the Renegade platform, it could be a capable, if not overly impressive, mini truck.

The thing I'd like to know is just how far from 48 state legal it is as produced. Based on price, they must have dropped about $10k worth of compliance per unit and how do ya pull that off? The "World Engine" concept as I understand it is build one driveline, sell it globally, reap cost benefits by not building country or brand specific engines. Assuming the Mexican EPA is much more liberal than the US version where's the savings in building a Mexico specific motor that runs dirtier than the thing yer already cranking out by the truck load? Cut down the number of air bags - how much could a couple side curtains add? Do they dodge big costs on crash testing?? How is this thing about 1/2 of what a US legal version would cost?
Posted By: Magnumguy

Re: the ram 700 can stay down there - 12/13/20 11:12 PM

If "you know who" gets President, the corporate CAFE is going through the roof, they'd better something to raise the average.

I like the truck, but would just assume have a Rampage with a 4 cyl stick and working air.
© 2024 Moparts Forums