Moparts

Dash cam options

Posted By: MI_Custumz

Dash cam options - 09/17/20 09:39 AM

Was thinking of getting a dash cam for the classic. Not really to record what's in front of me, but whats on the side of the road when cruising and cars are parked. Kind of want to video the scenery while driving instead of relying on a passenger to get pictures or no photos at all when alone. What features are good and what to stay away from? I am thinking a removable memory card to put into the computer to save it that way vs hooking it up via a cord to the computer. Would like the ability to remove it easily from the mount and have the passenger video out the side window if need be.

What options are out there that won't break the bank and are good?
Posted By: 300rag

Re: Dash cam options - 09/17/20 02:33 PM

For that purpose, I would lean towards a GoPro. They seem to have a better picture quality.
Posted By: John Brown

Re: Dash cam options - 09/17/20 02:53 PM

Better picture quality, and a wide angle view, but a fish eye lens that distorts reality.
Posted By: Greentween

Re: Dash cam options - 09/17/20 06:54 PM

Another vote for using a gopro. Plenty of mounting solution options and usually inexpensive for those. Regarding fish-eye, there is a setting to adjust the field of view to narrow to limit that. There are 4 steps from narrow to super wide.
Posted By: 300rag

Re: Dash cam options - 09/17/20 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by John Brown
Better picture quality, and a wide angle view, but a fish eye lens that distorts reality.

Here's GoPro video from the top of my car

GoPro video
Posted By: moparmike1

Re: Dash cam options - 09/17/20 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by 300rag
Originally Posted by John Brown

Here's GoPro video from the top of my car

GoPro video

Cool vid!

Mike.
Posted By: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Dash cam options - 09/20/20 04:10 AM

It's a difficult world to navigate. Here's a decent guide:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-dash-cam/

Once you read their reviews, perhaps you can determine what type you want, like front? Front/back? Front/interior?

Then go from there. Read other review sites. Figure out which ones are better than others. There's plenty of rabbit holes to go down.
© 2024 Moparts Forums