Moparts

tracking down a totaled vehicle?

Posted By: Mopar1970440

tracking down a totaled vehicle? - 09/04/20 10:28 PM

A few years back I had a Dodge Dakota and a person ran thru a stop sign and totaled it out. the persons insurance totaled it out and paid me for it and the insurance company sent it to a salvage auction. Is there any way to see what yard it ended up at? I have the VIN. Thanks
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: tracking down a totaled vehicle? - 09/04/20 10:34 PM

Google the vin, sometimes it will pull it up
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: tracking down a totaled vehicle? - 09/05/20 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by AeroMonte
Google the vin, sometimes it will pull it up

That's about it. Or, you can call the insurance company and ask where they sent it. Most use IAA or Copart, though, and if it went there, the insurance company won't know where it ultimately ended up, and IAA/Copart is not going to tell you.
Posted By: JDMopar

Re: tracking down a totaled vehicle? - 09/07/20 02:54 AM

There used to be a Private Investigator that was a member here, and he helped me with a vehicle search several times. 65Fury440 was his screen name, but the last time I PM'd him to check one for me, he never replied....so not sure if he is still here. He was VERY reasonable on the price, and helped me a few times with pretty good success. Mark Worman used a PI to locate his old 70 Charger 500 on GYC, and found it in TX in a junk yard. Junk yard confirmed it had been crushed. frown angel
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: tracking down a totaled vehicle? - 09/07/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by JDMopar
There used to be a Private Investigator that was a member here, and he helped me with a vehicle search several times. 65Fury440 was his screen name, but the last time I PM'd him to check one for me, he never replied....so not sure if he is still here. He was VERY reasonable on the price, and helped me a few times with pretty good success. Mark Worman used a PI to locate his old 70 Charger 500 on GYC, and found it in TX in a junk yard. Junk yard confirmed it had been crushed. frown angel
Maybe he missed a notification that he had a message, he was here a week ago.

Dennis
Posted By: 73MagDuster

Re: tracking down a totaled vehicle? - 09/08/20 05:23 PM

You can try to get the info of the yard that bought it from salvage (Copart/IAA) auction, but as stated above Copart/IAA will not tell you any info about who won the auction. You need to go through the insurance company that totaled it out and sent it to Copart/IAA, they can get the info from Copart/IAA, although they may not do it without a court order. I investigate car crashes and have found several cars this way, but my client (attorney/insurance company) has always had to issue a subpoena to get the info..
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: tracking down a totaled vehicle? - 09/08/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by 73MagDuster
You can try to get the info of the yard that bought it from salvage (Copart/IAA) auction, but as stated above Copart/IAA will not tell you any info about who won the auction. You need to go through the insurance company that totaled it out and sent it to Copart/IAA, they can get the info from Copart/IAA, although they may not do it without a court order. I investigate car crashes and have found several cars this way, but my client (attorney/insurance company) has always had to issue a subpoena to get the info..

^ this. The insurance company won't give him the time of day unless they are compelled via subpoena, which he has no standing to obtain in this situation.
© 2024 Moparts Forums