Moparts

Is it possible to insulate a roll up door?

Posted By: Michael Ecks

Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/16/20 03:36 PM

Anyone done it? Any crazy ideas or thoughts from anyone who hasn't done it but has thought deep thoughts about it?

I need to start work on insulating my metal frame shop. And one of the biggest heat sources is the uninsulated roll up door that gets full sun. Is there a thin form of flexible sheet insulation I can attach to the inside if the door so that it rolls up with the door? The walls of shop currently have thin bubble wrap style insulation which I'm not sure actually helps.
Posted By: Dartforforty

Re: Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/16/20 03:59 PM

I have used this as an insulator, but not on a roll up door.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-...ll-Insulation-48-in-W-x-100-ft-L/3775465
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/16/20 04:30 PM

Depending on what type of roll up, yes. Ive seen the segmented(rectangular) roll ups with 1" high density foam adhered to it, and was told it was the most effective measure besides buying an insulated door($$$)
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/16/20 04:47 PM

You mean like this commercial type? I don't think so. If you have a conventional type home owners door then yes as described above. I've seen a youtube howto on it.

Attached picture Commercial-Doors-10.jpg
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/16/20 08:05 PM

https://www.janusintl.com/news-media/blog/insulated-steel-roll-up-doors
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/16/20 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by moparjim79
Depending on what type of roll up, yes. Ive seen the segmented(rectangular) roll ups with 1" high density foam adhered to it, and was told it was the most effective measure besides buying an insulated door($$$)

I've had a couple friends wo did this. When I built my shop the salesman at the lumber company where I bought all my materials made me a great deal on insulated steel overhead doors.
Posted By: moparjim79

Re: Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/17/20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by 3hundred
You mean like this commercial type? I don't think so. If you have a conventional type home owners door then yes as described above. I've seen a youtube howto on it.

Think again. Yes that type of roll up steel door. It was a transportation terminal/repair facility I worked in.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/17/20 04:03 AM

Good question. Not sure of any great solutions. However have you regardless tried all the normal improvements, like a very white outside paint, awning shade for hottest part of the day, reduce reflection from outside ground surface, a lightweight insulating sliding curtain either inside or outside, if door only sees occasional use, , etc?
Posted By: Nukechargerboy

Re: Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/17/20 11:09 AM

Try calling the manufacturer and see if they have a kit for the door.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Is it possible to insulate a roll up door? - 08/17/20 06:28 PM

What about covering it with some sort of insulation paint, like Lizard Skin? Just don't paint the joints but the flats I think it would work?
© 2024 Moparts Forums