Moparts

fuel questions

Posted By: MI_Custumz

fuel questions - 08/16/20 11:41 AM

I usually run premium (93 octane) in the classic. I recently put recreational fuel (ethanol free 89 octane) in it as it doesn't have ethanol and didn't notice much of a difference other than 30 cents more per gallon than premium. I'm sure there is some internal benefits of the recreational fuel. I have a pretty much stock 327 in my Monte Carlo. While getting gas in another vehicle at a BP I noticed the Amoco Ultimate (93 octane) had "ethanol free" listed on the label of the pump. Not all pumps had it, but a couple did.

Are all Amoco Ultimate premium fuels ethanol free or only the actual pumps labeled that way?

What order of preference would you have in running fuel in the car if choices are Recreational fuel (89 or 90 octane is most common here), premium 93 octane, and premium 93 octane listed as ethanol free?

I don't understand how recreational 89 can be 30 cents higher than premium 93 if both are ethanol free, unless I'm missing something.
Posted By: Savoy1964

Re: fuel questions - 08/16/20 08:47 PM

Blue Flame in Richmond has Rec 90 and VP 93 (and other grades) unleaded in ethanol in 5 gallon cans not sure of the price. As to a preference using a higher grade of fuel then needed is a waste.
Posted By: second 70

Re: fuel questions - 08/17/20 04:19 PM

I have no problem running 87 in a 10.25 compression 327.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: fuel questions - 08/17/20 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by second 70

That’s rare, and you are lucky. Is your timing retarded? Are you at a high elevation?
Posted By: second 70

Re: fuel questions - 08/17/20 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by second 70

That’s rare, and you are lucky. Is your timing retarded? Are you at a high elevation?

No 558 elevation. .030 over iron heads cam 224/224 @ 50 duration .450/.460 lift 114 ls ,timing is 35 total ,drive train 3:36 gear , 2:56 1st gear four speed. basic cruiser. If I was going to race it I would need to bump it up but for general driving it likes the 87 blend the best.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: fuel questions - 08/17/20 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
I usually run premium (93 octane) in the classic. I recently put recreational fuel (ethanol free 89 octane) in it as it doesn't have ethanol and didn't notice much of a difference other than 30 cents more per gallon than premium. I'm sure there is some internal benefits of the recreational fuel. I have a pretty much stock 327 in my Monte Carlo. While getting gas in another vehicle at a BP I noticed the Amoco Ultimate (93 octane) had "ethanol free" listed on the label of the pump. Not all pumps had it, but a couple did.

Are all Amoco Ultimate premium fuels ethanol free or only the actual pumps labeled that way?

What order of preference would you have in running fuel in the car if choices are Recreational fuel (89 or 90 octane is most common here), premium 93 octane, and premium 93 octane listed as ethanol free?

I don't understand how recreational 89 can be 30 cents higher than premium 93 if both are ethanol free, unless I'm missing something.

I would bet the 93 octane is NOT ethanol-free. I know for a fact that Brenner Fuel (located in Muskegon, MI.) blends & delivers all the fuel for Meijer & Kroger stations. They have one grade of Rec fuel & it's rated at 90 octane. I've never seen Rec fuel rated above 91.
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: fuel questions - 08/18/20 10:21 AM

At the local BP near my house.

Attached picture IMG_9561.JPG
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: fuel questions - 08/19/20 12:47 AM

If it is indeed what they say, then that is cool as hell! I'd rather run that in my cars if I could get it! Plus, at $2.74 that is a GREAT price! I've looked at 4 stations local to me & the best price for 90 octane E-0 is $3.19/gal. - at Kroger White Lake. BP, Sunoco, & Shell are all at $3.99/gal.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: fuel questions - 08/22/20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
I

Probably because it's not. Funny how a subsidy works that you can charge more for NOT putting something in fuel like ethanol or lead.
But yes, if you can , you should run EF90 in older vehicles and small engines.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: fuel questions - 08/26/20 03:15 PM

You can always test it to see if there is ethanol in it or not, or you can also buy the stuff with the ethanol and remove it. Get yourself a junker freezer. Pour a measured amount of water into the gas. Put the mixture into the freezer. The water should absorb the ethanol. Remove ice from mixture. Measure amount after thawing.

It might be possible to not use the freezer, since gas is usually lighter than water, after mixing with amount of water allow to settle and drain off the water from the bottom.

I don't know if I would trust my skills after the experiment to use the gas or not but at least you will get an idea if there is ethanol and how much is in it.

This is all backyard science!
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: fuel questions - 08/26/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
You can always test it to see if there is ethanol in it or not, or you can also buy the stuff with the ethanol and remove it. Get yourself a junker freezer. Pour a measured amount of water into the gas. Put the mixture into the freezer. The water should absorb the ethanol. Remove ice from mixture. Measure amount after thawing.

It might be possible to not use the freezer, since gas is usually lighter than water, after mixing with amount of water allow to settle and drain off the water from the bottom.

I don't know if I would trust my skills after the experiment to use the gas or not but at least you will get an idea if there is ethanol and how much is in it.

This is all backyard science!

Ethanol freezes at 117 below (F) so you would have to use a lot of water. It can be done (like you say) by draining the water/alcohol off the bottom, but what a pain. I do this experiment to ensure the ethanol-free fuel I am buying really is...but then I toss the result.
© 2024 Moparts Forums