Moparts

Scored two projects yesterday.

Posted By: AeroMonte

Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/25/20 02:16 PM

Out of the blue I had two separate projects fall into my lap in the same week. First one is a 72 Charger with 79,830 original miles. Original paint, everything. Previous owner bought it it in 1988 with big plans that never happened. Last year he was in a bad car wreck that left him paralyzed. He is a great Mopar guy and chose me to offer the car to. I'm honored, as that was his baby. I bought it sight unseen for his asking price and was pleasantly surprised. 99% rust free. 318, column shift car. It came with a rebuilt 360 and 727 trans also.

The second car is a 58 Plymouth Belvedere 4 door. I've tried to buy it for 10 years. It was a parade car that the previous owner had repainted and upholstered. Her brother had a bodyshop so he took it apart and painted it 20 years ago, then never reassembled it. Family health issues were the reason. Well, the bobyshop brother passed away, his sisters husband passed and she has no more interest in the car so I got the call, "If you still want it, come and get it". I can't stand the color so a new paint job is in the works. It was last started a couple of years ago but has been in dry storage for 20 years. I got both of them home yesterday. Pics are coming
Posted By: DirectSubjection

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/25/20 02:23 PM

Wow - what a great day for you, congratulations! beer

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/25/20 03:01 PM

The Belvedere

Attached picture 20200724_200503.jpg
Attached picture 20200724_200438.jpg
Attached picture 1a2.jpg

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/25/20 03:03 PM

The Charger. A/C, dual sport mirrors, rear defrost, rear speakers...ugly interior LOL

Attached picture 20200721_191801.jpg
Attached picture 20200721_191815.jpg
Attached picture 20200721_191833.jpg
Posted By: Mr T2U

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/25/20 03:20 PM

congrats on the pickups.
i myself am not into the Belvedere. but the 72 charger i would go to town on it. with a restification making it a corner carving hot rod built to my taste. with at least fuel injected fire breathing motor under the hood, maybe a 3rd gen hemi, possibly with a blower on top of it, with a 5 or 6 speed trans behind it.

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/25/20 03:25 PM

I like the way you think. The Belvedere will get assembled, maybe put back to red and probably go on the market to fund the Charger build. I can see it going to Europe. They like finned 4 door cars.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/25/20 05:13 PM

I am liking that Charger! Great scores!
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/25/20 08:35 PM

Too bad it had to be such a sad story, but it's great you were there to save the cars and take care of them and treat the seller right! Looks like they both have potential! Congrats! up

I can't think of what old movie it is, but I've seen that body style of the Belvy as a marked Police car on TV. Was it "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World"?
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/25/20 10:44 PM

Cool patina on the Charger. Just clear coat it smile

I actually though of getting a wrap for my 71 that looks like that.

Attached picture rust.jpg

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Too bad it had to be such a sad story, but it's great you were there to save the cars and take care of them and treat the seller right! Looks like they both have potential! Congrats! up

I can't think of what old movie it is, but I've seen that body style of the Belvy as a marked Police car on TV. Was it "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad World"?

Yes that was the movie. One of my all time favorites
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 12:49 AM

Yeah I'd give the old car away and focus my time on the Charger. Leave the patina as is and build it as a pro touring or NASCAR type. Here are some pictures of a car that a local guy owns. Might get some ideas from them.

Attached picture DSC_0801 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_0800 (Large).JPG
Attached picture DSC_0796 (Large).JPG

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 01:04 AM

I gave the old girl a bath today, first time it's seen soap and water on 20 years. Cleaned up pretty good. Tomorrow I'll work on getting the brakes unstuck and see if it will fire up.

Attached picture 20200725_121950.jpg
Attached picture 20200725_122049.jpg
Attached picture 20200725_162039.jpg
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 02:08 AM

I like'm both!
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 02:31 AM

Great score Ed! I will be heading down to Arkansas again next week going through Poplar Bluff again, don't know what time but if I come through at a decent hour I will let you know. Those couldn't have gone to a more deserving guy! up

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Great score Ed! I will be heading down to Arkansas again next week going through Poplar Bluff again, don't know what time but if I come through at a decent hour I will let you know. Those couldn't have gone to a more deserving guy! up

Just let me know. My schedule is flexible now with my current job. We can grab a bite to eat.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 02:57 PM

Wow the plymouth looks pretty nice after a bath.
I never liked 72 Chargers. I'd take the 58 over it any day and make a sleeper out of it.
Posted By: topside

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 08:09 PM

I like the white on the '58 - unless it's going to affect the resale price, I'd leave it. Pretty hard to dig yourself out of repaint costs.
Needs rad support blackout - they were completely black.
I think it's more iconic than that Charger, but both are pretty cool.
Those '58-era brakes are a different animal.

There was once a time when inexpensive but solid & original Road Runners and Chargers were falling out of the sky for me...but man, those days are sure over!
Posted By: chargervert

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 09:37 PM

I would do a two door conversion on that 58 Plymouth,and the Charger looks like a good solid car to build.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 10:30 PM

I would drive the wheels off that 58... biggrin
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/26/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by AeroMonte
Originally Posted by larrymopar360

Yes that was the movie. One of my all time favorites
Me too!

Re: Scored two projects yesterday. - 07/27/20 01:36 AM

Worked on it all day. Got the rear drums off. the shoes were new but crumbled when the drums came off. Ordering new shoes. Put all the trim back on it to see if everything was there, and I'm happy to report it was all there. Also tried to start it but no spark. Going to replace the coil and check the points. The previous owner said it ran smooth two years ago. I had it on the lift and got to look underneath. The floors are surprisingly good. The rockers were rusty and have JC Whitney caps put over them. The body work is terrible but the enamel paint job probably helped save the car. All the glass is good and all the electrics seem to work, so very happy with it. The body man in me wants to blow it apart and fix it the right way and paint it back to red with a white roof like it was originally.

and it has Cherry Bomb mufflers on it LOL
© 2024 Moparts Forums