Moparts

Does anyone restore old license plates

Posted By: Guitar Jones

Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/22/20 07:21 PM

Found a 92 and a 74 plate today at an antique shop for my trucks. That 92 isn't too bad but the 74 is a little worse. So anybody know of a place that restores them?
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/22/20 08:11 PM

Ummm cant you do it yourself?

If your not looking for anything specific other then year and type and state, just watch ebay, there are NEW old plates all the time for less then an hour labor some "restorer" would charge.

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/22/20 08:17 PM

Umm, no I don't want to attempt to restore them myself. The 92 plate isn't bad but the 74 needs some work.
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/22/20 08:17 PM

pOtOs suggestion is not HALFED BAKED at all up

concerning eBay or maybe even CL
Posted By: burdar

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/22/20 08:43 PM

I bought new for my Challenger. Probably technically illegal to use on the road in some states. The Iowa code is written pretty vague on their use.

https://www.licenseplates.tv/?match...Spdzh6gIVE9bACh1cHQPxEAAYASAAEgL0ZvD_BwE
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/22/20 08:48 PM

check e bay. I both sets for our cars in perfect shape for $10-$15 a set.

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/22/20 09:00 PM

Yeah, I don't know what the laws are here yet. Just looking around at this point. I can't even get tags here yet in WV as everything is shut down.
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/22/20 09:06 PM

They usually say you're not supposed to be painting it and a lot of places that restore them say or used to say anyway that they do it for show purposes only so that they can avoid any legal issues with.

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/22/20 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by basketcase
check e bay. I both sets for our cars in perfect shape for $10-$15 a set.

I checked, didn't find any 74 or 92 plates. I'd like to use the ones I have as it was kind of like I was meant to find them there. Antique shopping isn't my thing but I decided to go as my son and his girlfriend came up with me to help me move so we were showing them around. I just happened to run across the small box of plates and started looking through them. I was about to quit but found these two in the last eight plates of the stack.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 03:05 AM

mojoartworks.com

He does fabulous work!

All of my plates go through him.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 03:44 AM

I think there is /was someone doing them. Want to say they were in Tenn. I found them maybe a year ago.

I ended up buying a really nice original off ebay

1966 AZ copper plates are pretty tough to come up with

Attached picture 1966copperplate.jpg

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by BloFish
mojoartworks.com

He does fabulous work!

Their site says they don't do plates with reflective backgrounds, which these are.
Posted By: oldjonny

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 09:12 AM

I bought a brand new set of '66 Michigan plates for my wagon. Michigan allows us to register them for use, so that is what is on my wagon. i think I paid like $30 for the pair.
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
Originally Posted by BloFish
mojoartworks.com

He does fabulous work!

Their site says they don't do plates with reflective backgrounds, which these are.

Texas started reflective plates in 1969, even new unused plates need to be restored due to aging of the paint. You'd think with today's paints it shouldn't be difficult but like you I haven't found anyone who does reflective coatings. Last time I checked Texas also wanted to inspect your plates before being allowed to use them.

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 11:20 AM

To add to that the 92 plate isn't just solid colors it has graphics in the background. The 74 plate has some rust.

Attached picture IMG_20200723_070918.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200723_070938.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 12:07 PM

I checked, didn't find any 74 or 92 plates. I'd like to use the ones I have as it was kind of like I was meant to find them there. Antique shopping isn't my thing but I decided to go as my son and his girlfriend came up with me to help me move so we were showing them around. I just happened to run across the small box of plates and started looking through them. I was about to quit but found these two in the last eight plates of the stack.

I know how that goes. Years back I was on a bone yard crawl and hit a place that had nothing I could use. While in the office I noticed a 76 PA plate - bicentennial edition - hanging among the collection on the wall. Just had to grab it in part because of the 75 registration sticker. Have been running it on the front of my built in 75 model year 76 ever since. Within the last few years PA has been allowing re-registration of vintage tags but so far no desire to move it to the other end of the car.

Attached picture front.jpg
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 12:12 PM

In Ohio we have to buy Historical Plates, and keep them in the car. Then we can register vintage plates. IIRC $60 and they are good for 50+ years.

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 12:26 PM

The WV code says you can register them but the plates have to be inspected and approved. Now here is where it gets a little weird. A vehicle with antique plates can only be used for parades, events, on weekends and for transportation to and from said events or for repairs and road tests, these vehicles don't require an annual inspection. However if you are using vintage plates of the year of manufacture you can use the vehicle for general transportation but the vehicle has to be inspected and you have to pay the regular vehicle registration price.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by basketcase
In Ohio we have to buy Historical Plates, and keep them in the car. Then we can register vintage plates. IIRC $60 and they are good for 50+ years.

I had to explain that to some jagoff cop when I got pulled over in my R/T. He wanted to cite me for a plate violation because I had 1969 plates on the car. I had the historical plate in the car, as required. He said model year plates weren't allowed. Moron.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 01:03 PM

In Fla to use old plates, they must be sent back to Tallahassee? for approval first. At some point, Fla started using reflective type paint, not sure when. I do know when on my old permanent semi trailer plates and they started to look weathered, they wanted them replaced with a new replacement. I suspect it might be difficult to have a plate "restored" with the proper reflectivity, etc a desk clerk in Tallahassee will approve, and you will be left with just a high priced collector item. You get approval first? and then get it restored, not sure an LEO would care enough to spot or cite on a restored car if the plate looked nice
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by burdar
I bought new for my Challenger. Probably technically illegal to use on the road in some states. The Iowa code is written pretty vague on their use.

not legal anywhere

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 06:43 PM

The Iowa code talks about plates that "represent" original issued plates. I keep a copy of it in the glove box.

Antique Motor Vehicle/Limited Use
Iowa Code Section 321.58 through 321.62, 321.115, 321.122 and 321.124
Any motor vehicle 25 years old or older may be registered as an antique vehicle. The owner of a motor
vehicle which is registered as an antique may display authentic Iowa registration plates from the model
year of the motor vehicle, or representing the model year of the vehicle, furnished by the owner and
approved by the department, in lieu of a current and valid Iowa plate, provided the current Iowa plates
and registration issued to the vehicle are carried in the vehicle and are available for inspection to any
peace officer upon request

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 07:51 PM

Took a quick peek and they have the bicentennial PA plate - would be pretty cool to have them make a plate that's sequential to the one I have and put it on my other Daytona. Not $120 cool though.
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 05dakota
I bought new for my Challenger. Probably technically illegal to use on the road in some states. The Iowa code is written pretty vaguely on their use.

not legal anywhere

I agree as they are Cheap Plastic and can not be used. I had mine done while I waited.
I have one that says Six Pak and this is the other. I use them for large indoor shows only.

Attached picture AlBundy.jpg

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 07:59 PM

I agree as they are Cheap Plastic and can not be used.

They are NOT plastic. They are embossed metal like originals. There are some slight differences but they look very nice. I bought mine back in 2012 and they weren't $120 each. Prices have gone up since then. They do run specials on occasion.
[Linked Image]

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 08:08 PM

The WV code says you can register them but the plates have to be inspected and approved. Now here is where it gets a little weird. A vehicle with antique plates can only be used for parades, events, on weekends and for transportation to and from said events or for repairs and road tests, these vehicles don't require an annual inspection. However if you are using vintage plates of the year of manufacture you can use the vehicle for general transportation but the vehicle has to be inspected and you have to pay the regular vehicle registration price.

Well that's stupid and now ya made me go look it up in PA. Looks like you have to title it as classic or antique to be eligible to display the vintage tag and they'll accept a picture of the tag for inspection purposes. They also have a nifty on line tool for checking to see if the tag number is currently in use but not sure how likely that is. The regs for vehicle use with antique tags also include the big gaping loop hole of "occasional transportation" and I've been driving through that one for years.

Being as far out in the sticks as your are, I'd get the antique tags for the cost / hassle reduction and not worry about getting pulled over and asked where yer going. A) how often do ya really see a cop B) like he really cares if you're headed to a car show C) Yes officer, just out testing whatever recent repair.

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 08:11 PM

Can they do the reflective tape for the base or do the reflective paint?

Attached picture DSC04201.JPG
Attached picture DSC04204.JPG

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 08:12 PM

Not a real plate, but I loves it.

Attached picture DSC04200.JPG
Posted By: GY3

Re: Does anyone restore old license plates - 07/23/20 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Not a real plate, but I loves it.

We had one like that with the "Dodge" lettering on it on Dad's Powerwagon for years!

Would love to find another!

© 2024 Moparts Forums