Moparts

Anyone into metal detectors?

Posted By: FM3AAR

Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 01:02 AM

Always wanted to have a metal detector. Found one on CL at a screaming deal. Friend and I hit a circa 1840 house on his property this week.
Share your stories.

Attached picture Tom02xxx.jpg
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 01:12 AM

If you want inspiration, go to youtube and search for the Hoover Boys.

Awesome finds.
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 01:15 AM

No detector other than my eyes here so far......

2 10K rings from inside a rusty parts car;

Attached picture 1968 sport fury 22.JPG

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
If you want inspiration, go to youtube and search for the Hoover Boys.

Awesome finds.

Yep, watched a number of their vids.
Posted By: srt

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by FM3AAR
Always wanted to have a metal detector. Found one on CL at a screaming deal. Friend and I hit a circa 1840 house on his property this week.
Share your stories.

I own one basic (cheap) "metal finder" for property corners, dropped fasteners, nails in driveway, etc. Owned a nice nugget finder and found little so sold it. Very important to get a detector that works well in your geographic area. Find a dealer and talk with them so time spent is productive.
As a hobby I used to hunt for old bottle dumps. Access old "Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps" at the Library of Congress and find areas to search. Beware historic / archeology laws.
Beaches and areas where people congregate for picnics, fireworks, etc are usually good hunting too.
Posted By: dfsmopars

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 10:09 AM

Happy hunting!

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 10:56 AM

Thanks guys.
I'm not wanting to get into it hard core just have some fun with it.
In my photo above, you can see my first coin find. I was about an hour into the day.
Turned out there was another coin right with the two in the photo.
Weird to have 3 coins right there together about 8" down.
While I would like to tell you they were 1800 coins, it wasn't so, just some 1960's, LOL.
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 11:00 AM

I used one every day when I was in NAM.. I dont know about cheap ones.. I even wondered about
the military ones.. specially when it was my life on the line.. I did find a mine about every day
and I'm still here
wave
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 11:22 AM

I have been using a metal detector since the late 70s. What would you like to know? wave

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 11:56 AM

I'm mainly wanting to hear some of your detector find stories if you have them though nothing will top landmines. eek
Posted By: Dartforforty

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 12:30 PM

I have been into metal detecting since 1981
If you want to read about finds I suggest this web site

http://www.treasurenet.com/

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dartforforty

I have been into metal detecting since 1981
If you want to read about finds I suggest this web site

http://www.treasurenet.com/

Thanks! thumbs

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 02:12 PM

And I like this site..
https://www.findmall.com/

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer
And I like this site..
https://www.findmall.com/

Good one too. Even has a Garrett forum. thumbs
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 03:37 PM

Always enjoy reading finds on different forums, but never got into it heavy. Used one for work to find evidence, and my dive team has underwater Fischer .

We used a very basic White for finding spent casings etc. Then Garret produced a "CSI" model that discriminates different casings somehow. Its actually one of their higher end commercial units, that they put a different menu on- rather than settings to discriminate out tin, aluminum, whatever, it has has calibers.

It has been useful.

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 04:00 PM

I went from using a Garrett water machine to a Minelab Excalibur water machine
Found some good stuff with both.

Ed

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 08:01 PM

https://youtu.be/bnqwEefZYA8
Posted By: Southern Wolf

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 08:50 PM

I have a Minelab Equinox 800. Really like it.

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 09:20 PM

I have an Equinox 600 and a Minelab Explorer SE with the Pro coil. Each machine has it's place. wave

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 09:25 PM

I've read good things about the above machines.
Posted By: T2R9

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 09:49 PM

Although I don't currently have one I will when retirement days come around.

My Dad got me a cheap one when I was a kid, found a dateless Standing Liberty quarter in our front yard. It was so cool it kicked off my love for American coins. Been collecting for over 40 years since then and my dad was always digging up stuff for me with his detector. Still have that quarter.

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 09:51 PM

I bought the Equinox 600 because it is light. It also goes quite deep after you get used to what the machine tells you. I am happy with both Minelabs but I use the 600 most of the time.

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 09:52 PM

I'd like to expand a little on sourcing locations. The fire maps are good as are early GLO (government land office) survey maps and also the notes they logged. Find some locations and talk with the owners of the property and offer to split whatever you find. Most won't care unless you fond something very valuable.My best finds were several bottles worth 40-50 each. The best a very nice gold ring (likely 14k or better although not marked) from the mid 1850 or 60's with one of the original state seals on it, very similar to the "official seal" but the components are within a shield shaped field rather than a circle. I found it when I returned to a digging spot and the rain had washed mud/dirt aray leaving it fully exposed on the surface. Other notables a 1878 (iirc) silver dollar and a silver pendant that pulled apart and when the body inserted into the cab became a usable pencil. I can post up pics later. Right now I feel like going out and detecting. It's a rush finding stuff.

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/08/20 11:45 PM

Appreciate the stories guys and look forward to pics of your finds.
I've always wanted to have a detector and now that I am retired, decided to go for it.
Friend of mine lives in the country and has three circa 1800 homesites on his farm property.
We tried to find the remains of one of them a couple of weeks ago with our detectors.
Ended up with ticks and poison ivy so I said well try again this winter. laugh2
I'm headed back to his place next week to help with putting headers on his truck. We'll try the standing
circa 1840 house in my first post again in the afternoon. Hopefully I can show you guys an 1800s coin. luck

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/10/20 09:28 PM

I couldn;t locate the 1850-60 silver, must have stashed it good. This one I found in my back yard playing horseshoes in a pit I filled with top soil stripped from a construction site. I don't consider it a coin quality , basically scrap., Besides these items I've found numerous cast iron toys, inc cap guns and doll house furniture, pieces of and complete dolls, lots of bottles and clay beer bottle stoppers, poker ships, arrowheads, literally buckets of the stuff picked up before it became "illegal" to pick up discarded trash.

Attached picture cal ring.jpg
Attached picture silver stuff.jpg
Attached picture silver stuff 2.jpg

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/11/20 04:10 PM

Some of my finds from the water back in the 80's and 90's

Includes an 1847 large penny

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/13/20 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
I used one every day when I was in NAM.. I dont know about cheap ones.. I even wondered about
the military ones.. specially when it was my life on the line.. I did find a mine about every day
and I'm still here
wave

Wow!!! Scary!!!

Thank you for your service!

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/13/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by srt
I couldn;t locate the 1850-60 silver, must have stashed it good. This one I found in my back yard playing horseshoes in a pit I filled with top soil stripped from a construction site. I don't consider it a coin quality , basically scrap., Besides these items I've found numerous cast iron toys, inc cap guns and doll house furniture, pieces of and complete dolls, lots of bottles and clay beer bottle stoppers, poker ships, arrowheads, literally buckets of the stuff picked up before it became "illegal" to pick up discarded trash.

Very nice finds. Thanks for posting the pics. Love seeing the old stuff.
We hit the old house in the country I mentioned in my OP yesterday.
Found some old iron mostly before we had to call it quits.
The gnats were so bad and impervious to the deet I was using, we had to retreat.

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/13/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dartforforty

Some of my finds from the water back in the 80's and 90's

Includes an 1847 large penny

Nice finds esp that 1800's coin.
Right now any 1800's coin I find will make my day.
Thanks for posting the pics!

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/13/20 05:10 PM

I went out yesterday for a bit. Got a pretty good handful of modern coins. Nothing old. Rain is on the way so I will be able to hit it again. Ground is pretty dry.

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/13/20 06:28 PM

I went out yesterday for a bit. Got a pretty good handful of modern coins. Nothing old. Rain is on the way so I will be able to hit it again. Ground is pretty dry.

Hard ground would be tuff going. I know you know this but I read that more moisture in the soil makes for better detecting.
Still hoping for that old coin.
I also have found out YouTube videos and reality don't often match, LOL.

Re: Anyone into metal detectors? - 05/13/20 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by FM3AAR

Hard ground would be tuff going. I know you know this but I read that more moisture in the soil makes for better detecting.
Still hoping for that old coin.
I also have found out YouTube videos and reality don't often match, LOL.

Moisture is good! The park I was in used to be a town square in 1875. Last fall I pulled a V nickle out of there and a Buffalo nickle. My oldest coin out of there was many years ago, 1875 CC dime.
© 2024 Moparts Forums