Moparts

Road rage in Florida?

Posted By: tboomer

Road rage in Florida? - 04/25/20 08:29 PM

It must be a slow news day... shruggy
https://kwwl.com/2020/04/25/florida-authorities-warn-of-road-rage-among-mating-gators/
Posted By: Runner2go

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/25/20 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by tboomer

I wonder if my car insurance covers Gator damage. work laugh2
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/25/20 08:55 PM

And they are so dangerous and visitors sometimes don't realize this. Not that they would have a child out near a roadway, but elsewhere they need to watch for them because sadly there have been cases of children and dogs being eaten. There was a very sad case recently in which a gator snatched a child at a Disney Resort, killing him, right in front of his parents. So horrifying. Sorry to throw such a bummer on this thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/15/disney-world-alligator-attack-boy-search
Posted By: jcc

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/26/20 03:39 AM

The problem humans have with gators, they think because they lay so still for so long, and when they decide to finally relocate, they must be very slow and sluggish.
Nothing could be farther from the truth. When they attack, they are almost faster then the eye can see. It is extremely impressive. Within 30', you are dinner if they are hungry.
You don't have time to run.
Posted By: BeEtLeJuIcE !

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/26/20 05:29 AM

A big ole gator ?

Pull up a video or two of a gator chasing a chicken eek
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/26/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360
And they are so dangerous and visitors sometimes don't realize this. Not that they would have a child out near a roadway, but elsewhere they need to watch for them because sadly there have been cases of children and dogs being eaten. There was a very sad case recently in which a gator snatched a child at a Disney Resort, killing him, right in front of his parents. So horrifying. Sorry to throw such a bummer on this thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/15/disney-world-alligator-attack-boy-search

We may be at the top of the food chain, but we're still on the menu...

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/26/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
A big ole gator ?

Pull up a video or two of a gator chasing a chicken eek

You mean of alligator poop, my camera is not that fast grin

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/26/20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
The problem humans have with gators, they think because they lay so still for so long, and when they decide to finally relocate, they must be very slow and sluggish.
Nothing could be farther from the truth. When they attack, they are almost faster then the eye can see. It is extremely impressive. Within 30', you are dinner if they are hungry.
You don't have time to run.
That's the truth.
Posted By: Challenger340Kid

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/29/20 12:03 PM

Living in the Orlando area, I've seen quite a few of these guys at our local golf courses. I always take the time to try to get as many pictures of them as I can. Also, don't forget that not only are they fast on land, but they can climb fences as well!

Attached a few pictures of the most recent ones I've seen, enjoy!

Attached picture gator1.jpg
Attached picture gator2.jpg
Attached picture gator3.jpg
Attached picture gator4.jpg

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/29/20 03:29 PM

Good pics and reminder about climbing fences!

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/30/20 09:53 PM

THIS GUY HERE ain’t moving too fast ... whistling

Attached picture AFEC2D0C-B204-4A1E-92FA-27E4428E2C66.png
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/30/20 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
THIS GUY HERE ain’t moving too fast ... whistling

Wassa matta Doc Fibber, too cheep to buy a wallet? Stitchin' yer own? sawzall Put the rest on the smoker...just like chicken...heck, you can even make a REAL Gator Grain vinyl top...

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 04/30/20 10:32 PM

6picker ..... coming up from Marathon 2 years ago .., there was a SWARM of vultures ALL OVER that guy ... eek
Posted By: fc7_plumcrazy

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 05/02/20 12:37 PM

they can climb on fences?

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 05/02/20 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by fc7_plumcrazy

I’ve never seen it but I’ve heard of it ... they are not dumb animals.... probably almost as clever as a raccoon eek

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 05/02/20 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by fc7_plumcrazy

No they go over them.

Actually "scale" might be more accurate description, they use their very powerful tail to boost themselves over lower fences. And no, they are not invading from Mexico. laugh2

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 05/02/20 01:48 PM

.... some of the fences that are in and on THE ALLEY?

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 05/02/20 02:01 PM

No, the Alley has 8'+(?) fences, and in my personal experiences of hundreds of trips across the Alley over decades, and with the normal likelihood of seeing literally hundreds of gators on the canal banks on many trips ( riding high up in a semi affords a good viewing angle), I have counted on less then one hand, ever spotted a gator on the road side of a fence, and they likely found a gap at the bottom of the fence or a fisherman's hole cutout.

Re: Road rage in Florida? - 05/02/20 02:27 PM

Here’s one .. jsta recently ! ... gotta be 8 foot plus !

Can you imagine THE COST of all that fencing!!

Attached picture 6C8265E6-90A1-4D06-964F-4119743A421A.png
© 2024 Moparts Forums