Moparts

Dumb Superbird question

Posted By: MI_Custumz

Dumb Superbird question - 03/23/20 09:50 AM

How do you pop the hood? Cable release from the inside? I am not sure how a 70 RR hood pops, but guessing it's something from the outside like a 69 is.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/23/20 12:14 PM

Bird has no primary latch.
pulls the hood pins then reach under the front lip and release the secondary latch
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/24/20 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by gtx6970
pulls the hood pins then reach under the front lip and release the secondary latch

Really??? Weird. I never knew that. I always figured they had an inside hood release.

They'd never get away with that today.... I'm surprised they allowed that in 1970, even! Pretty sure a hood latch was a federal mandate by that point.... or maybe, just the secondary one was. I'm going to have to look that up!
Posted By: Redbird

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/24/20 06:48 AM

You take out the hood pins, the spring at the center of the latch tray pushes the hood up, then you use your hand to release the secondary hood release. It works just fine. It has worked for 50 years now.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/24/20 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Redbird
You take out the hood pins, the spring at the center of the latch tray pushes the hood up, then you use your hand to release the secondary hood release. It works just fine. It has worked for 50 years now.

Like this. scope

Attached picture P1170422.jpg
Posted By: cudaboy340

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/24/20 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by RamblerMan

Really??? Weird. I never knew that. I always figured they had an inside hood release.

They'd never get away with that today.... I'm surprised they allowed that in 1970, even! Pretty sure a hood latch was a federal mandate by that point.... or maybe, just the secondary one was. I'm going to have to look that up!

I know what you're saying, but the A12 cars had no latch at all, just pins. But it would probably never fly today!
Posted By: MONC

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/24/20 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by cudaboy340

I know what you're saying, but the A12 cars had no latch at all, just pins. But it would probably never fly today!

Nor did the AAR or T/A s .
Was always extra careful to make sure the pins were secure , lest have a giant black projectile flying around , lol .
Posted By: PLATINUM6BBL

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/24/20 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by MONC
Originally Posted by cudaboy340

Nor did the AAR or T/A s .
Was always extra careful to make sure the pins were secure , lest have a giant black projectile flying around , lol .

been there done that with the old silver slug. Sick feeling watching it take straight up in the air and then watch it slam down on the road behind me.
Posted By: MONC

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/25/20 03:02 PM

One of my biggest fears. Closest I ever got was starting to go down the driveway ( thank god it is really long ) and started to see the hood lift. Freaked me out !
But it was a lesson learned. wink
Posted By: MR_P_BODY

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/25/20 03:26 PM

When I was building my Rampage I started down the road(slowly to check shift points) the hood stated
to lift.. this is a one of a kind hood.. it started as a lift off hood but I changed it to have hinges and
as it shifted it started up.. straight up I slowed and it sat back down
wave

Attached picture 007.JPG
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: Dumb Superbird question - 03/25/20 04:46 PM

Yup, I saw the hood blow off my brother's A12 back in the day. The landing did it no favors.
© 2024 Moparts Forums