Moparts

Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this

Posted By: A12

Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 02:35 AM

I don't know if this what appears to be a 1969 Road Runner was posted but this has to be one of the coolest projects ever in this day and age. Some of us are still torn between vintage back in the day muscle and the latest modern muscle or a "resto-mod" but this beats them all IMO. This to me is AWESOME!

More details in a moment......I'm sure some of you have seen this and sorry if it was posted before. I recorded Mecum Phoenix and just had a chance to watch it when this came across the block and it was listed as a 1969 Road Runner......something just seemed a little odd and then they let the (S)cat out of the bag.

Attached picture 00E0E_1mnlVpV16tT_600x450.jpg
Attached picture 00u0u_fV7OIEvnHW3_600x450.jpg
Attached picture 00x0x_cD99MZHaN1Y_600x450.jpg
Attached picture 00000_li440hDLoIk_600x450.jpg

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 02:54 AM

A few hints for those that don't know this RR or is that a Cha........this should give it away or make one think it's a resto-mod which in some ways it is and isn't

Attached picture 00e0e_8dN6uJtahbW_600x450.jpg
Attached picture 00909_iqXdkhLy7OA_600x450.jpg
Attached picture 00N0N_a5DI5NXyE7_600x450.jpg

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 03:23 AM

This is from the seller's for sale ad:

2017 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack chassis, 5259 actual miles, with 1969 Road Runner body fitted to it

2017 392/485 HP engine

2017 automatic transmission and matching rear end

2017 Scat Pack interior: Back-up camera, Rear view mirror, Auto dims headlights, Navigation, Track Pack

Air conditioning with individual zones and auto controls

Brembo brakes front and rear

20 inch chrome Voxx 5 spoke wheels

2017 HID Challenger headlights

Rotisserie restored body

Only the body panels and glass are not 2017 Challenger R/T Scat Pack......the looks of a '69 Road Runner with the feel, drive, performance, convenience, technology and creature comforts and more of a 2017 Challenger R/T Scat Pack.

Attached picture 00U0U_arBfUcXceKm_600x450.jpg
Attached picture 01515_acxNvm3NDvB_600x450.jpg
Attached picture 00M0M_gkIJmZj1oNg_600x450.jpg
Attached picture 00V0V_hBsCKjMl9up_600x450.jpg
Posted By: Jjs72D

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 03:55 AM

Other than the headlights looking a little strange, what a great looking car.
Posted By: Runner2go

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 06:46 AM

The few 69 Charger conversions I've seen didn't look too bad.... but obvious.
I think they really did a great job turning that one into a passable Road Runner. thumbs
If only they would have started with a hellcat, & used an A12 style hood to clear the blower. work coffee
Posted By: sportfury70

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 10:16 AM

I was touring the State Farm Stadium while they were preparing for the auction. I stood next to this car and noticed something looked "off" with it. I then read the description. It is a very cool car and looked very well done.
There were 2 or 3 '70 hemicudas on the floor and a hemi challenger for sale. (Not auction)

There was a red Mercedes (circa 1930's I believe). One of the auction people told us it was for sale not auction and was expected to bring 7-8 million! It's the only one in existence.
Posted By: redraptor

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 11:25 AM

That is really cool and well thought out. It would seem though for the DIY guy that it would be like building 2 cars moneywise.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 12:31 PM

First time I saw it done was an episode of West Coast Customs at least 10 years ago. Put a 69ish Charger body over a current Charger skate board. Kinda recall them claiming it to be an original idea and wanna say they did a few more times.

Recently stumbled across an instance of somebody putting an 81-83 Mirada body over a modern Charger skate board. Went full on crazy to include narrowing the suspension and doing a lot of custom work to the HVAC box and cowl. It's fully documented start to finish on a youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxQP_0WTT3M
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 06:08 PM

A12 - what did it sell for? I like it though I think the rims are too big and I agree the headlights don’t look right. I would drive that thing all over the place. What does the emblem say under the air grabber scoops?
Posted By: theraif

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 07:02 PM

dont know why but the inside door panel/card looks bad shruggy
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 07:11 PM

Anyone ever figure out what a Scat Pack or HC combo into something like THIS would cost ?

Attached picture 2DBA807A-366E-4976-8080-47B07ED09F16.png
Posted By: kwhmopar1

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass
Anyone ever figure out what a Scat Pack or HC combo into something like THIS would cost ?

Your sanity. realcrazy

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 08:03 PM

You mean a CHARGER Scat Pack, it is a 4-DOOR you know laugh2

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by kwhmopar1

Your sanity. realcrazy

MY sanity ? smoke

Come on guys ... that’s what makes an UGLY BETTY sleeper like this ....SO SANE !! smoke smoke

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 08:25 PM

ORE would something like THIS meet your approval and appreciation bester ?

Attached picture 81DAAABA-E2D9-48A2-8CF4-C9BC91774D89.jpeg
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/19/20 11:08 PM

As much as I hate to admit it, I like Doc's ideas here.

My focus would be more on smog choked cars of the '70's, (ie: HC '79 Magnum) but I think a modern Hemi anything in an early A would be suicidal, but your last moments sure would be fun!

As for the OP's RR, I really like that. Some of the body swaps I've seen look funky, but this one looks good! up
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 12:22 AM

My son has a 5.7 Hemi in a 57 Dodge wagon. It retained the original chassis with updated brakes though. Currently he is building a 90s Ramcharger on an 05 Durango chassis, complete with the Durango 5.7 Hemi and the all wheel drive. He is not building that one for show, he is building to use during the winters as a daily driver.

I've been doing chassis swaps for years, but the 2010+ stuff is too new and too expensive for my check book. If you match the vehicles up pretty close to the same size of each other, putting old sheet metal on a newer chassis isn't that difficult, but it does take some time. The hardest part is deciding which parts your going to use for some stuff. Gene
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 01:24 AM

Looks well done,,,in pictures

I would want to see it in person before plunking down the cash
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 01:36 AM

I absolutely love my modern drivetrain, but I absolutely do not like putting new interiors into old cars. No way.

Seems like a nice car, but with most any custom, I'd do some things differently.

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

As much as I hate to admit it, I like Doc's ideas here.

My focus would be more on smog choked cars of the '70's, (ie: HC '79 Magnum) but I think a modern Hemi anything in an early A would be suicidal, but your last moments sure would be fun!

As for the OP's RR, I really like that. Some of the body swaps I've seen look funky, but this one looks good! up

HATE to admit it ? pity laugh2

Me thimks that you have HATED yourself many times before ..... a lil birdie told me tsk biggrin
Posted By: Dave_J

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 02:43 AM

A 2 door for ya Doc

Attached picture Volere.jpeg

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 02:50 AM

Damn D J ... is that one YOURS ? laugh2

That’s gotsta be some heavy door glass !

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
A12 - what did it sell for? I like it though I think the rims are too big and I agree the headlights don’t look right. I would drive that thing all over the place. What does the emblem say under the air grabber scoops?

Mark, sorry for the delay. "The BID goes on" at $120,000. I got the first photos from the seller's Craigslist ad and asking $160,000 shock

Here it is going off the block at TBGO for $120k:

Mike

Attached picture 20200317_031928_resized.jpg
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 06:21 PM

I actually like most of it but that dash is hideous in there!
Posted By: Neil

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 06:47 PM

No depth wheels on new cars drive me crazy. They look like they belong on a FWD car.

Drivetrain swaps are ok by me, but not the dash. The OD transmission is the biggest advantage the new drivetrains offer if you want to do long distance driving with.

Not sure why so many people out there think the old engines can't get it done anymore. A well thought out RB engine can make more power than you could ever hook up on the street. Too many guys let their old school + out of touch machine shop guy put together a super conservative 9:0 cr engine with a big cam and end up with a dud. I see it all the time at the track - cars with rebuilt engines that have headers, high rise intakes, nasty idle, ect and they run 14's, which is what the car ran when it was new.

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Neil
No depth wheels on new cars drive me crazy. They look like they belong on a FWD car.

Drivetrain swaps are ok by me, but not the dash. The OD transmission is the biggest advantage the new drivetrains offer if you want to do long distance driving with.

Not sure why so many people out there think the old engines can't get it done anymore. A well thought out RB engine can make more power than you could ever hook up on the street. Too many guys let their old school + out of touch machine shop guy put together a super conservative 9:0 cr engine with a big cam and end up with a dud. I see it all the time at the track - cars with rebuilt engines that have headers, high rise intakes, nasty idle, ect and they run 14's, which is what the car ran when it was new.

Neil for the most part I totally agree with you but what some may be missing about this car is that it is not a back in the day Road Runner with a modern power plant but a 2017 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392 with Road Runner BODY PANELS/SHEET METAL graphed onto the entire (exterior) Challenger chassis and driveline. Everything including the interior and original dash is 2017 Challenger R/T except the exterior sheet metal. In reverse I don't think you would end up with a better project or car if you took a 2017 Challenger R/T and put a '69 RR motor (383, Hemi or 440 6BBL), transmission, suspension, axle, brakes, interior, dash etc., in it. This is a 2017 Challenger R/T with '69 exterior sheet metal which is way better IMO than any resto-mod with an old chassis and modern power.

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 08:46 PM

Well Neil .... build us a NEW IRON 440 !

.... with the MDS, all the electronics, that 8 speed trans with that .67 overdrive, WITH a durable lock up torque converter AND the Year 2000 plus fuel delivery(even bester than the Plastic Fantastic!) !!

Did I miss anything?

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 09:19 PM

Well Neil .... build us a NEW IRON 440 !

.... with the MDS, all the electronics, that 8 speed trans with that .67 overdrive, WITH a durable lock up torque converter AND the Year 2000 plus fuel delivery(even bester than the Plastic Fantastic!) !!

Did I miss anything?

I would call Indy cylinder head etc. and order up a new engine and then get a gear vendors OD unit.

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by Neil

Neil for the most part I totally agree with you but what some may be missing about this car is that it is not a back in the day Road Runner with a modern power plant but a 2017 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392 with Road Runner BODY PANELS/SHEET METAL graphed onto the entire (exterior) Challenger chassis and driveline. Everything including the interior and original dash is 2017 Challenger R/T except the exterior sheet metal. In reverse I don't think you would end up with a better project or car if you took a 2017 Challenger R/T and put a '69 RR motor (383, Hemi or 440 6BBL), transmission, suspension, axle, brakes, interior, dash etc., in it. This is a 2017 Challenger R/T with '69 exterior sheet metal which is way better IMO than any resto-mod with an old chassis and modern power.

Ok, now I get it. Man, that is a lot of effort. I'd have gave up and just lived with the Challenger body parts, as much as I don't really dig them.

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 09:30 PM

neil Neil NEIL .... an Indy motor and a GV ? ....

Would cost MORE than the whole cost of my 2020 rig !

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 09:36 PM

How much do you think that road runner we are discussing costs?

I'm saying for the effort and cost to build a modern driving and fast old car I would have just found a road runner and revamped it vs what that guy did.
Posted By: Hemi_Joel

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 10:22 PM

I think they did a good job on it, gotta give him credit for that. But I really don't see the point. If you want a 69 Road Runner, then just get a 69 Road Runner. The things that detract from this car like the big ugly wheels, and the ugly plastic dash overshadow any perceived benefit of the modern amenities in my view. It's no big deal to add air conditioning and a few modern amenities to a muscle in your car, and then you have something with a lot more character.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/20/20 11:23 PM

$160 large?!?!?!? Hell, you can get an '18 Demon and a '15 Hellcat for that or less. And I know that it takes wheels that big to clear the rotors, but they absolutely ruin the look they were going for as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder what something like that will be worth in a few years? That is important to me. If I were to spend a huge amount of coin like that, I would have to at least hope that it might hold a good amount of it's value. Like say, a Hemi car that would cost about as much.
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/22/20 03:36 AM

Thanks A-12 for the follow up. I agree, 120k for that is insane. I wonder how much trouble it was to weld up the old sheet metal on the new frame. Also, why are there a bunch of screws through the bottom of the door panel? Looks awful.

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/22/20 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by roadrunninMark
Thanks A-12 for the follow up. I agree, 120k for that is insane. I wonder how much trouble it was to weld up the old sheet metal on the new frame. Also, why are there a bunch of screws through the bottom of the door panel? Looks awful.

Agree and even though a better photo (here: https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0320-405304/1969-plymouth-road-runner/ ) shows then to be plugs or covers or even push clips they still could have done a better job, like even using original on the back side snap clips shruggy

Another disappointment is why no power windows and power locks unless they are hidden there and the inside window crank handles are just props (I have seen that done before)?
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/22/20 02:31 PM

velcro could have been used on the door panels, and i'm not a fan of hand crank handles used for power window actuation.
beer

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/22/20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by moparx
velcro could have been used on the door panels, and i'm not a fan of hand crank handles used for power window actuation.
beer

VINTAGE muscle to oleHam2? ... is a Flintstone mobile powered by 4 hamsters !
Posted By: moparx

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/23/20 03:03 PM

HaMpStErS weren't invented yet at that time DoC. biggrin
beer
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/24/20 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by A12
I don't know if this what appears to be a 1969 Road Runner was posted but this has to be one of the coolest projects ever in this day and age. Some of us are still torn between vintage back in the day muscle and the latest modern muscle or a "resto-mod" but this beats them all IMO. This to me is AWESOME!

More details in a moment......I'm sure some of you have seen this and sorry if it was posted before. I recorded Mecum Phoenix and just had a chance to watch it when this came across the block and it was listed as a 1969 Road Runner......something just seemed a little odd and then they let the (S)cat out of the bag.

puke
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/24/20 02:52 PM

Local guy here in Phoenix. It was nicely done. He just finished the car so I don’t understand why he’s selling so quickly. He’s the original owner of a 69 RR 383/4 speed.
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/25/20 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by A12
This is a 2017 Challenger R/T with '69 exterior sheet metal which is way better IMO than any resto-mod with an old chassis and modern power.

Take a look at the one inked below and then let us know which one you'd rather have.

"Modern A-12" RR

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/25/20 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by RMCHRGR
Originally Posted by A12
This is a 2017 Challenger R/T with '69 exterior sheet metal which is way better IMO than any resto-mod with an old chassis and modern power.

Take a look at the one inked below and then let us know which one you'd rather have.

"Modern A-12" RR

Couldn't pull up any of the photos but regardless I'd still rather have a real A12 Road Runner or a real A13 440 M-Code Dart or a real '69 GTX or the 2017 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 392 with the outer '69 Road Runner bodywork..........but that's just me at this time in my life. You're asking someone that back in 1969 ordered a GREEN F5 Road Runner new so my opinion on even car's color is skewed according to most laugh2 laugh2
Posted By: RMCHRGR

Re: Torn between vintage and modern muscle then try this - 03/25/20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Couldn't pull up any of the photos...

Attached picture 01-1969-plymouth-road-runner-a12-b5-blue.jpg
Attached picture 17-1969-plymouth-road-runner-a12-interior-dashboard.jpg
Attached picture 05-1969-plymouth-road-runner-a12-gen-3-hemi-engine.jpg
Attached picture 04-1969-plymouth-road-runner-a12-profile.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums