Moparts

Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend?

Posted By: GregY

Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/10/20 11:37 PM

I was watching the episode where Finnegan competed in Drag Week with his Hemi-powered Chevy. During the event, he drove it to Tony D'Angelo's (I think that's his name) shop outside Philly and worked on it, he said that was legal. It seems like it shouldn't be, at least in spirit. You'd think the serious guys would be lining up "their shops" along the entire route ahead of time just in case.

Anyway, I probably enjoy Roadkill more than anything else I watch (or read for that matter). Some of the episodes are better than others, but generally speaking I enjoy them. They do seem to have a lot of mistakes or whatever for as experienced car guys as they are.

I am just curious what other people think of it.

Greg
Posted By: sogtx

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 12:23 AM

They have the life ...
getting paid to to stupid stuff
30 years ago , we did all the stuff theyre doin now .
Posted By: topside

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 12:51 AM

Often amusing, often cringeworthy for the butchery.
Seems like they encourage hack work over doing something right.
Then again, I was mentored by Indycar & restoration guys...so I'm damaged laugh2
The Stubby Bob wheelstander, the big Pontiac drive, how good that '68 Road Runner & the Vanishing Paint Challenger sounded, stick out as positives.
Finnegan's '55 is pretty dang fast, and he seems like a fun & humble guy.
Overall, I take it as a "how far you can push your luck" show, played for laughs.
I could do without the dead coyote shot, though.
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 02:17 AM

I've only watched a couple episodes but those were pretty stupid. One was using leaf blowers for superchargers and I don't even remember the other. The two guys seem like cool folks that would be a blast to hang with but the show content(at least those episodes) kinda sucked. twocents
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 02:30 AM

I don't dislike the show, but, it seems to be getting a little long in the tooth. Regardless the car, regardless the situation, the same scenario plays out just about every time.

I'm more inclined to watch Roadkill Garage, or Hot Rod Garage. For my car fix on YouTube, I'll watch Finnigans Garage or Cleetus McFarland (they bought their own track!)
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 03:00 AM

When they were on YouTube, I watched every episode probably a dozen times each. When I was working on my car, I'd normally play it in the background just for some noise. I always thought they were pretty entertaining and liked how they favored Mopars even early on. Their roadtrips were always entertaining.

Now that they are behind a pay wall, I've only seen one of their "new" episodes when it was on TV. There isn't a TV show I can't live without.
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 03:15 AM

I watch it from time to time. I never go looking for it, but I enjoy the show.
Posted By: That AMC Guy

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 04:01 AM

I pay for Motortrend online. It's like $7 a month so it's not a big deal. I'm starting to wonder what's going on as I don't think we've had any new episodes since December.

I prefer Roadkill Garage, but I get annoyed with Dave's antics sometimes. Like: "Gee, we took an engine that's been sitting for 30 years, barely warmed it up and started doing 7,000 rpm burnouts with it. I don't understand how we threw a rod!!" That gets annoying. I'd rather they just say "This thing is toast, not worth rebuilding, we're going to donate it to somebody who might do something with it." Quit destroying things to entertain Jethro and Cletus. I don't think they pay to watch, anyway.

Junk Yard Gold is ok, too. Steve Magnante's knowledge is 98.9% on the money.

Roadkill needs to get their poop in a group. I find myself becoming less and less interested as time goes on. It almost seems as if they're manufacturing the "issues".
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 04:16 AM

My son and I love the Motortrend content and gladly pay for it. Roadkill is our favorite as well as the Faster with Finnegan. I really enjoy HRG, Roadkill extras and Engine Masters. He watches Dirty Mudder truckers a lot and some of the other stuff. I also watch Finnegan's youtube channel.
Posted By: cdwmotorsports

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 04:17 AM

I saw a post from Dulcich the other day that all of the shows except for Roadkill are dumping all episodes in one drop and then nothing until the next year. Not sure I like this idea but it is what it is.
Posted By: GregY

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 11:29 AM

Most of the best Roadkill episodes have Blasphemi or Freiburger's Superbee in them, the second tier ones are where they get a piece of junk running and road trip it or something, and then there are the silly ones which I don't enjoy as much.

I have the six months free due to the Car Craft cancellation, I will have to decide whether to keep the subscription when that expires. I really had no problem waiting for the free episodes before I had the subscription.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by sogtx
They have the life ...
getting paid to to stupid stuff
30 years ago , we did all the stuff theyre doin now .

And we paid for it too, lol.
Posted By: rocksmopar

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 12:07 PM

I like the show, they get to drive around the country and check out interesting destinations I wish I could go see...Especially the old salvage yards.......
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 12:33 PM

As far as the drag week shop scenario it is legal. It will favor some people more than others depending on the route and location of course. Drag Week 2012 and 2014 started 12 miles from home. I slept in my own bed and enjoyed having my own tools to do any needed work before going to the track the next morning. Finnegin had to work to finish drag week, his first one he didn't make it past day 2.

I think Roadkill has stayed solid, there is some predictability in it but it doesn't bother me. I believe "Don't get it right just get it running" is a great mindset. To many peoples cars are tucked in garages because they aren't perfect. Knock the dust off, make it run, go drive it. A non perfect car is way way more fun than a perfect one.
Posted By: Gavin

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 12:33 PM

I still like it a lot, I eventually stumped up for the subscription, mainly for Roadkill/RK Garage/HR Garage and I have to say I am happy I'm getting my moneys worth. There's a ton of other stuff on MTOD as well, including Graveyard Carz, no ads etc. Compared to what else is available on TV I look forward to any new episode. Sure some are better than others, but I'm happy watching any of them for now. Probably like RK garage even better (lot of Mopar content). I also noticed the lack of recent episodes, if they screw up RK/HR garage that will be an issue for me.

Like others, I also watch Finnegan's garage on Youtube, plus Uncle Tony, Nicks Garage etc.
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by cdwmotorsports
I saw a post from Dulcich the other day that all of the shows except for Roadkill are dumping all episodes in one drop and then nothing until the next year. Not sure I like this idea but it is what it is.

I see they stopped posting shows until they have their cache built up to do that as well, which could be months or a year. I wonder if the cancelled magazine guys will even get to see anything new with their "free" 6 month subscription?
Posted By: bigdad

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 04:56 PM

They came thru here couple days ago in route north to Fargo I guess .. 89ish T bird with a blower sticking out of the hood .. in a blizzard
Posted By: JAMESDART

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 05:22 PM

I’m still watching. I tried to watch Finnegan garage and it’s just too dragged out. I think dirt every day is my favorite though.
Posted By: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/11/20 06:33 PM

I've had some personal dealings with these guys. Remember the Challenger they tried to piece together at the Nats and then drive to Woodward? It damn near killed me when I was helping to unload it off the top rack of a semi transporter.
Later that week...
I found myself standing by ready to step in when the Roadkill guys and the Doug Foley guys got into a standoff in the pavilion at National Trail Raceway that was on the cusp of getting really ugly. argue
Ah, the memories...
Posted By: 5thAve

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/12/20 12:28 AM

I liked the earlier episodes better that was more like affordable fun. Then it got into expensive parts or just plain stupid.
Road kill garage is only good because of Dulcich. I used to watch every episode when they came out but started getting bored by the repetiveness of it.
I've moved on to watching re-runs of some of the older shows on there.

Finnegans garage is pretty good.
Posted By: Devil

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/12/20 02:35 AM

I'm working on an episode or Roadkill right now... stay tuned.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/13/20 02:42 PM

My first year of subscription expired and the billing got messed up so they cut me off and I didn't renew. Now Hagerty gives it to you free with your policy and I still can't get in to view. As far as the content Roadkill has pretty much had a groundhogs day script that you can take or leave in my opinion.

Youtube has so much real content for cars I don't see a reason to subscribe to Motor Trend.No way would I pay to see them as I would rather donate to a smaller channel on youtube through Patreon. twocents
Posted By: 67Charger

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/17/20 05:27 PM

My son (7 y.o.) loves it, and I can honestly say it has motivated me to get back out to the shop and work on the cars again. It is 100% due to the Blasphemi Drag Week episode that I got registered for Rocky Mountain Race Week this year. I'll be converting the '67 back to drag race trim as soon as Big Bend Open Road Race is over this year. I also got my dad to start putting together his '71 El Camino by showing him the Drag Week episode. He's registered for Rocky Mountain too. I have been watching it since before it was Roadkill when they got the Buick from Pewe's place.

I do like roadkill Garage and Hot Rod Garage quite a bit. There ahve been a few episodes that I really didn't like, but a few I have watched repetitively: General Mayhem (original config), Blasphemi Drag Week, Disgustang, Vanishing Paint, Galaxie fail, and a few more of the good build/rescues. Watching Roadkill has also caused me to go seek out other builder videos on youtube like Dillon McCool, Chris Birdsong (junkerup), Vice Grip Garage, Emily and Aaron Reeves, and a bunch of others. Overall, it has has a great effect on the industry. It's up to the bean counters to know if the pay-wall was a good move or not. They are a business afterall.
Posted By: migsBIG

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/17/20 10:52 PM

I think I'm going to cancel my subscription t motortrend channel as they seem to want to put less out now. My Favorite shows are as follows"
Roadkill Garage
Hotrod Garage
Roadkill
Engine Masters
Faster with FInnegan
The House of Muscle
Car Fix
Fast N Loud
Dirt Every Day
Bitchin Rides
Vegas RatRods

That being said, these shows offer something different that makes relaxing at home after work a little more interesting than all the crap I don't watch on tv. To be honest, If My tv was on, it was to watch the weather report or tune into 'Car' channel. Will see what happens in the next couple months. If they are cutting out show, I'll cancel my sub. No point paying for something if there is nothing to wanch AND enjoy.
Posted By: Devil

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/18/20 12:52 AM

They are producing actually more content this year, just more efficiently. Which means they have to go to a more standard release schedule for episodes.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/21/20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by moparpollack

My first year of subscription expired and the billing got messed up so they cut me off and I didn't renew. Now Hagerty gives it to you free with your policy and I still can't get in to view. As far as the content Roadkill has pretty much had a groundhogs day script that you can take or leave in my opinion.

Youtube has so much real content for cars I don't see a reason to subscribe to Motor Trend.No way would I pay to see them as I would rather donate to a smaller channel on youtube through Patreon. twocents

Hagerty does gives it to you for free but you have to be a member of their Drivers Club also.
I had to call and ask and a week later I got an email for activation.
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/21/20 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
Originally Posted by moparpollack

Hagerty does gives it to you for free but you have to be a member of their Drivers Club also.
I had to call and ask and a week later I got an email for activation.

Ok thanks!
Posted By: hosehead

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/23/20 09:03 PM

I think the shows are great. 4.99 a month. some good stuff there for the price of a sandwich.
That being said, I watched the new Finnegan show last night and the first couple of minutes were of him doing an ad for a shaving company.......Oh dear.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: Anybody Still Watch Roadkill on MotorTrend? - 02/24/20 06:10 PM

I liked it butt refuse to pay for it, sorry butt I have way better stuff to do with my money than spend $5 - $7 month for every little thing I find entertaining, I am easily amused and would be flat broke.
© 2024 Moparts Forums