Posted by: Pacnorthcuda

What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 05:47 PM

Me...1969 Pontiac Catalina wagon, gold.
Posted by: 65pacecar

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 05:49 PM

84 Trans Am.
Posted by: peabodyracing

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:10 PM

54 Plymouth. Me and a buddy, both 14 at the time, had paper routes and thought it would be slick if we could get a car to make the routes go faster in the early mornings. We were normally up by 5:00AM.

Found this Plymouth for sale in the area for $40.00 and knew a 16 year old who was willing to sign for the title transfer. The next day we had a car! We lived a block apart from each other so parked it on a side street.

We found it great fun to drive around mornings and soon were getting up at 4:00AM to give us more play time before we had to get home to get ready for school.

Soon we found we could rent the car out to other guys who wanted to impress a girlfriend, go for a joy ride, and other stupid pass time activities. This paid for our gas.

Of course one of the customers got busted and immediately threw us under the bus trying to save his own skin. My buddy got a notice to appear but somehow I was not included in that exercise. My Dad would have killed me. So the car was gone after about 4 weeks.

When I turned 16, Dad gave me lessons in his 62 Valiant. He was amazed how quickly I picked up driving. I never told him about the 54 Plymouth.
Posted by: DAYCLONA

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:15 PM

1971 AMX 401/auto brand new off the dealers lot...beautiful car, black/black interior/white stripe
Posted by: A12

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:15 PM

A Honda Super 90 motorcycle......then a couple of times before I took my test my mom would let me drive the family 1964 Chevy station wagon three or four blocks to our house. Then a friend took me to take my driver's test in his '60 Impala and let me drive about a block from the driver's test station. Passed on the first try, written and driving. Drove out of the test station and a block away the carb float stuck on my friend's Impala and almost caught on fire at the traffic light, smoke everywhere laugh2 got lucky. Oh I think the only thing I messed up was not using the turn signal to change lanes once. I now get mad when someone dose that to me and I guess I really shouldn't now that I remember that blush wink. Never drove a car for months after my test, rode my motorcycle until the snow got too deep and that meant really too deep. A friend and I had a contest going on who could ride to school on their bike the longest into the late fall and winter. I thought I had him one day when there was 6" of snow on the road (SW PA with hills) and as I pulled up to the last traffic light by the school I heard him on his Honda 50 coming up behind me with a CAST ON HIS BROKEN RIGHT LEG! Some say I never learned to drive a car laugh2
Posted by: rrbrucea

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:29 PM

A '48 Studebaker Starlight Coupe... 3 speed on the column, and NO power steering. At 13 years old. UP and down the driveway, back and forth and back and forth...

I think my dad started me off in it because he figured if I could get proficient with it I could drive anything. Once the learner's permit and first license came along it was a '62 Thunderbird convertible. I drove that until I bought my first car, the '70 Challenger SE...

Yeah I was a pretty fortunate kid, and really happy that dad got me to where I could drive just about anything.
Posted by: grancuda

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:30 PM

Learned in my dads 79 Magnum XE until we got my '70 Sport Satellite going.
Posted by: CARMAN

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:31 PM

My dad's 68 charger r/t
Posted by: BSharp

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:33 PM

'69 Barracuda in 1974. It's out in the garage, about 85% done.
Posted by: Guitar Jones

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:34 PM

My father's 70 Road Runner, 383, auto on the column, bench seat. Learned to drive a stick in a 70 Maverick 6 banger.
Posted by: RMCHRGR

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:35 PM

1980 Honda Accord stick exactly like the one below.
Posted by: Nukechargerboy

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:36 PM

My mom had a 1975 Plymouth Gran Fury, 360 2bbl. I learned in that and moved up to various other full sized beaters. I miss the $300 specials I used to find.
Posted by: dragracedr

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:36 PM

1955 Chevy pickup, 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree
Posted by: Hugh Jorgan

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:41 PM

70 Charger 500, Panther Pink 383/pistol grip 4-speed.
Posted by: stumpy

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:55 PM

1958 Plymouth station wagon.
Posted by: hemi71x

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 06:56 PM

1964 Buick LeSabre.
Posted by: amxautox

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:05 PM

'57 Plymouth station wagon.
Posted by: Neil

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:07 PM

71 Dart like this only with aluminum slot mags. It was my first car and my first Chrysler product.

http://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/220261-870-0.jpg?rev=2
Posted by: StukaJU87

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:17 PM

Been riding 2 wheels since I was young.

As far as "driving", I'd love to be able to say I learned on a MoPar, but the truth is, I learned on my father and mothers Ford Country Squire wagons.
My dad had a '69 and my mom had a '74. Probably why I love wagons.

Aced my road test on that '74 wagon. Dark green, wood grain sides and a 400. Loved that car.
Posted by: Roadcuda

I learned in a '64 Rambler American 3 on the tree. When I was 15 my dad took me down to one of the shopping centers on Sunday nights. The stores were closed Sundays back then so we had an empty lot I could drive around in so I had a head start when I started drivers-ed in high school. I took the test in a '68 B-body Sport Suburban.
Posted by: DaveRS23

My dad's work car; 65 Fury 11, 2 door sedan, /6, 3 on the tree.
Posted by: EV2Bird

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:23 PM

66 charger
Posted by: Sunroofcuda

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:34 PM

1965 Ford station wagon with a 352 - auto on column. First stick car I ever drove & learned on was my '70 Cuda 340 that I bought in 1976. That was the first car I owned too. Aaah - let me tell you about the summer of 76!
Posted by: Dave Hall

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:40 PM

'63 Chevy pickup. 6cyl. granny 4spd. Talk about fun on the ranch for a 12 and 13 year old! The rancher next door had a beautiful, red, '69-'70 Dodge with a V8, 3 on the tree! I only got to ride in that one. I kinda stole my brothers '74 Challenger 340 slapstick when I was 14... Ooopsy! He was actually making payments on it in 1977.
Posted by: nuthinbutmopar

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:45 PM

Learned driving my dad's '56 Ford 1-ton wrecker around the yard at his shop; 312 out of a T-bird mated to a granny 4-speed with a reversible PTO-winch. After I could move it across the yard, he'd send me across the railroad tracks to the stone dock on the river to drive around the rock piles. Got distracted by a boat full of bikinis once and almost drove it into the river.

He delivered newspapers, and by the time I was 15 I was driving the route on Saturday/Sunday mornings while he slept in the back seat. My mom and step-dad would have killed both of us if they ever found out...

When I got to driver's ed, the teacher found out I could drive a stick, and my job became teaching everyone in class to make a full lap of our course with 3 stops and starts without stalling. In a 4-speed K-car wagon that would stall when sitting and idling...
Posted by: moparjim79

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:50 PM

'84 elcam SS. Father still owns it.
Posted by: BigMoneyLewis

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:53 PM

I can't remember if I started out in Dads 1970 Ranchero GT (calypso corral , 351 Cleveland) or the 1974 Cougar XR7 , But I remember I did take my drivers license road test in the
1970 Ranchero GT .

Greg
Posted by: Blue Ridge 440

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:57 PM

'88 Mustang 5.0 LX convertible. White with red interior. Awesome car in its day!
Posted by: finn

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:57 PM

41 Ford Pickup with no brakes and a rotted door pillar so the driver's door would fall open if you hit a pothole while making a right turn.

We weren't supposed to take it on the paved road, but thirteen year olds sometimes forget things.

Actual drivers ed car a few years later was a yellow Galaxie 500 with a 390.

The other group had a similar Galaxie, but blue and only a 289.

FIrst stick on the street was a 53 IH pickup with a 6 and three on the tree, or a 65 Mustang 289/225 with a three speed
Posted by: topside

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 07:59 PM

Dad's '57 Plymouth Sport Suburban that had a transplanted 383 in it; I was 12, I think. Learned stick shortly thereafter on his '61 Hillman Minx convertible.
Posted by: E-Ticket

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 08:07 PM

73 Charger SE, learned to drive a stick in a Volkswagen.....
Posted by: DirectSubjection

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 08:22 PM

69 Valiant 100 sedan smile
Posted by: BloFish

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 08:41 PM

1972 Datsun
Posted by: Alaskan_TA

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 08:48 PM

All of them.

After all, we never stop learning.
Posted by: buildanother

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 08:52 PM

71 datsun 510, 70 corvette, 1 ton chevy wreckers. All manual trans's. Finally took test in 72 2 door auto satellite.
Posted by: Matt M

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 09:10 PM

My older Brothers 69 Dart GTS 383 Auto.
I bought it from him a year later.
Posted by: Satilite73

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 09:16 PM

Took drivers ed in this:

Practiced in my Mom's Chevelle:

And took my driving test in this:

runaway
Posted by: YO7_A66

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 09:30 PM

74 Challenger, 318/904 with 3:91's and little 235/14" tires. That car had Cherry Bombs and true duals. It was a beast in the snow👍
Posted by: 69Dartman

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 09:37 PM

42 Ford GPW Jeep, 41 military Dodge 1/2 ton closed cab pickup, my 69 Dart.
Posted by: Moparnutcase

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 09:58 PM

1974 Pontiac Catalina with a 400. Dad's car.
Posted by: theraif

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 10:08 PM

14 yr old dads pinto some how it had a 5 speed

so after i learned on the beater ford i got to drive his 273 4bl 4 speed looked like this
]
Posted by: John Brown

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 10:14 PM

Not a car, but a 1948 Chevy stake side pick em up truck, when I was 12. We had a block square vacant field next to our house with a tree in the center of it. My dad took me out there and showed me how the pedals and shifter worked. I went about three go rounds with him riding. He had me stop and he went back to the house and watched. After about a half hour he flagged me to stop. Lessons were over. Since we lived at the outer city limits, driving around in the area was not a problem. Never got stopped or asked for i.d. till several years after I had my license, which I got when I was 15.
Posted by: MidPenMopar

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 10:18 PM

My first car was a 69 GTO i got at the local used car lot for $500, but the same time i also had a 68 Triumph 500 that was daily ride as it was much cheaper to fill up than the GTO. Oh and that was at $0.35 a gallon.

Stu
Posted by: B5 Bee

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 10:22 PM

My sister's '58 MGA.
Posted by: markz528

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 10:28 PM

1950 Plymouth 4 Door Special Deluxe
Posted by: LTDan

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 10:38 PM

My Mom's '82 Delta 88
Posted by: srt

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 11:00 PM

Driver's ed car was a 4 door dart, iirc a 72, otherwise it was parents cars a 65 malibu and a 72 ford squire wagon. Big difference between the 283 and 429, my first car bought after had a 383, loved big block power.
Posted by: A12

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By A12
A Honda Super 90 motorcycle......then a couple of times before I took my test my mom would let me drive the family 1964 Chevy station wagon three or four blocks to our house. Then a friend took me to take my driver's test in his '60 Impala and let me drive about a block from the driver's test station. Passed on the first try, written and driving. Drove out of the test station and a block away the carb float stuck on my friend's Impala and almost caught on fire at the traffic light, smoke everywhere laugh2 got lucky. Oh I think the only thing I messed up was not using the turn signal to change lanes once. I now get mad when someone dose that to me and I guess I really shouldn't now that I remember that blush wink. Never drove a car for months after my test, rode my motorcycle until the snow got too deep and that meant really too deep. A friend and I had a contest going on who could ride to school on their bike the longest into the late fall and winter. I thought I had him one day when there was 6" of snow on the road (SW PA with hills) and as I pulled up to the last traffic light by the school I heard him on his Honda 50 coming up behind me with a CAST ON HIS BROKEN RIGHT LEG! Some say I never learned to drive a car laugh2

Fast forward a little and I continue to ride motorcycles daily to school and after graduating and only borrow my parents station wagon when the weather is really bad and I mean REALLY BAD. Trade my S90 in, after modifying it for dirt use with scrambler handlebars an up pipe, Webco cam and valve springs, and buy a Honda 305 Scrambler. Then a T100R Triumph 500 Daytona (I still have the Triumph in my garage). Get a good job in the steel industry and finally have enough money at age 18 to buy a new Mopar. Head to the Dodge dealership to check out the new '69 383 Dart GTS brochure and to the magazine stand to find anything Dart GTS. Get ready to have my dad go with me (me at only 18) to co-sign and order the 383 GTS (F5 GREEN with a black interior and black tail stripe) and read a magazine sidebar article on the M-Code 440 Dart that may be coming out. Put the brakes on the 383 and check the local Dodge dealer (and a few others) and get laughed out of the local dealership because they knew nothing about it and thought I was a crazy young dreaming kid thinking Dodge would put a 440 in a '69 Dart GTS. Went home on my motorcycle, mom knew something upset me, asked what was wrong. Told her about the Dart plan but not about either 383 or 440 big block just the Dart. She (funny now) asks why I want to get a "COMPACT CAR" with having 3 brothers and 3 sisters and having to take them places from school to work if needed. So I head down to the local Plymouth dealer with my dad and order a mid-size car a '69 Road Runner hardtop, 383, 3.91 Suregrip (told dad it was for the snow and hills, he knew what I was doing) F5 GREEN, black bucket seat interior, Torqueflite, console (yeah you guys reading the column auto thread can now hammer me a little more grin) Air Grabber, A01 light package, radio, power steering for mom, and hood stripes AS MY FIRST CAR AT AGE 18-1/2. That was really the car that I learned to drive a car with two years after I got my driver's license. Owned, drove and drag raced the Road Runner for over 10-years. During that time I got into (pro) off-road and MX motorcycle racing (and a little road racing) and lots of traveling so the Road Runner was parked for longer periods than I liked. But that's the car I learned to really drive in and being 18 with 335 HP at the time taught you car respect quickly or else. This was my RR in the summer of 1969, (top image is in '69) I think I already had the Hooker headers on it and then the Delta CDI ignition box.
Posted by: Iowan

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 11:12 PM

66 Plymouth Belvedere II, /6,three on the tree and four doors.
Posted by: Dabee

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/08/18 11:50 PM

57 Chevy station wagon, V8 three on the tree.
Posted by: sthemi

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 01:47 AM

1960 Ford Falcon...

DMV gave me trouble because it had no seatbelts.... I sent them to find the rules... didn't need em until 63 I believe...Got my DL...that day..
Posted by: coronetgirl

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 08:09 AM

77 Trans Am
Posted by: begood

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 08:25 AM

I learned driving a 1953 International Harvester pick up around a grave yard in Tennessee. That was in the late 60s.
Posted by: pushbutton

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 08:32 AM

1951 Plymouth/55 Chevy.
Posted by: Dartforforty

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 08:32 AM

1971 Plymouth Satellite station wagon slant six, auto trans, manual steering

Parallel parked that boat first shot taking my road test for my drivers license
Posted by: 6PakBee

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 08:34 AM

1950 Chevy. Dad penciled in the three speed pattern on the sun visor, took me out in the middle of one of my grandfather's stubble fields, and let me at it.
Posted by: 56_Royal_Lancer

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 08:53 AM

Learned in a 63 Triumph TR4 and a right hand drive 53 MG TD at the same time. I am an ambidextrous driver from day one!
Posted by: chargervert

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 09:05 AM

We had two cars in the family at the time, my mom would not let me drive the 70 Charger R/T SE, she said it was too touchy with the throttle. So I had to drive the other car while I had my learners permit. The other car was a 70 Chrysler Newport convertible. It was red with a black interior, 383 automatic transmission. It was not too bad driving around with the top down!
Posted by: 340SIX

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 09:19 AM

1970 Nova. 230 six, 3 on the tree, Manual drum all the way around. And Manual steering as well. A/M and dog dishes.
Gun Metal Gray rubber mat no carpet. Dad added an under dash cassette player. That also recorded.
I drove that car so well after a few tries I was told to just get the license.
Then I drove the work van, A 3 on the tree. 250 chevy van same equipped the same way.
What a beast!
Posted by: DaytonaTurbo

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 09:48 AM

A cavalier frown it's what the drivers ed teacher had. Before I got my license I think I drove with dad like all of 3 times.
Posted by: RapidusMaximus

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 10:09 AM

1964 Chevy Impala 4 Dr 3 on the tree 283 I think...
Posted by: RS23U1G

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By chargervert
We had two cars in the family at the time, my mom would not let me drive the 70 Charger R/T SE

Becoming clearer why you have a thing for the Charger...
Posted by: Racer33

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 11:15 AM

1984 Dodge W150 Marksman 1000. Dad bought it new. Still have the Winchester bang bang that came with it and had matching serial number. I was pissed when dad sold that pickup a couple years before I got my drivers license
Posted by: bboogieart

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 11:21 AM

A stolen one! eek
Posted by: fal3

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 01:05 PM

'70 Duster w/ 318, auto on column. Was Mom's car. Learned manual trans in '63 Ford Galaxy 500 w/ 352, 3 on the tree. Was Dad's work car.
Posted by: John_Kunkel

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 01:08 PM

'51 Olds 88
Posted by: burdar

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 01:16 PM

Nothing exciting here...

89 Celebrity wagon
86 Cavalier

My uncle gave me my first lesson driving a stick shift in his 89 Dodge D-50.
Posted by: massdaytona

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 02:13 PM

drivers ed was in a 69 buick gs - brown/vert, buckets, auto on the floor- not sure what was the engine...maybe a 400(?)... very cool ride for a 16 year old..
Posted by: AdventurerSport

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 02:32 PM

My folks had an AMC Pacer and a Dodge Aspen when I was learning, also my Dad's (now mine) '76 Power Wagon 318.

The Aspen had the 225 Slant 6, the Pacer was a factory 304 V8 car that my dad converted over to a 401. The 401 in the Pacer was ridiculously fast, tons of fun to drive!

The Aspen? Not so much. It was fine, just a basic, brown 4 dr sedan with nothing fancy about it. They ended up selling that one to my cousin.

So, most of my early driving days were behind the wheel of the 76 Dodge Power Wagon (that is now mine)

JS
Posted by: BH27G1B

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 02:42 PM

First drive was learning a 3 speed on a Model A / Tractor combo (doodlebug) on a friend's farm, then my fathers 48 Chev panel truck 6 stick honing my skills on the local cemetery roads. Finally got my learners permit and was driving the family 56 Chev wagon stick 6 on a Sunday drive when I had to stop on a steep hill and the light turned red. My father said " There is a brand new car behind us. Whatever you do don't roll back!" As soon as the light turned green and there was room in front of me, I floored it and popped the clutch, smoking 1 tire up the hill. My father said " You didn't have to do that!" I said " Well I didn't roll back did I " My father was strict, but let that one go........
Posted by: JAMESDART

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 05:11 PM

I got my permit and asked out of dmv. My mom handed me the keys to her quad4 May 5spd grand am. Told me drive around the mall before hitting the road, figure out the clutch. Took off no problem, no questions. We hit the road and she said, so... When did you learn how to drive my car??? whistling It was actually a really fun car to drive, and as I got older I was always surprised at how many cars i was able to beat with it.

That and my dads 72 lemans convertible. I never really understood how he just let anyone drive THAT car.
Posted by: Powerflow

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 05:35 PM

'65 Coronet 440 4 door, 273 V8 with automatic (our family car) and a '64 Pontiac Tempest 2-door (belonged to a friend)
Posted by: Shoozy

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 05:54 PM

First car? '54 Chevy Belaire, straight six, three on the tree (cousin's car when I was 13).

First legal car? '66 Chevy Biscayne six with a PG, our family car in '71.
Posted by: mopars4ever

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 06:13 PM

Drivers ed car. Ford something or another. I took my test in my first car a 66 Dodge Coronet 500.
Posted by: moparpollack

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 10:18 PM

87 Dakota 4x4
Posted by: 62maxwgn

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 10:43 PM

1935 Chevy coupe,and it wasn't in 1935 !! grin
Posted by: Mr. Smurf

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 11:28 PM

75 Dodge 3/4 ton Sno-Fiter.....

Ed
Posted by: dart4forte

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 11:39 PM

62 Corvair
Posted by: mopwrd340

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/09/18 11:44 PM

I learned in my dads 73 big block charger and my moms 6 cylinder gremlin . I had to pay for my driving school and they had chevettes that we had to use .
Posted by: cudaman1969

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/10/18 12:44 AM

Back in 1960, I was 10 years old. Granddad had a 1940 Dodge 3/4 ton flatbed truck, 3 on the floor, flat 6. He had a wood shop and when the saw dust-shavings got deep i shoveled them into the back of the truck knowing he would let me drive down into the back field, 1000 ft or so, by myself then empty the load into a pile. Never got out of second gear though, maybe 15 mph. Had to set on the front edge of the seat to reach the pedals. Truck was real rough, so I couldn't hurt it and the field and road going down there was pretty flat.
He let my dad drive his big Chrysler when dad was 7-8 around 1935, so no problem letting me drive later. Man I wish I had that truck now, just like it was.
Posted by: chargervert

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/10/18 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G
Originally Posted By chargervert
We had two cars in the family at the time, my mom would not let me drive the 70 Charger R/T SE

Becoming clearer why you have a thing for the Charger...

My parents bought it brand new,in all its triple F8 green glory!
Posted by: therocks

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/10/18 08:14 AM

First drive was a 48 harley that was my sis BILs.I was 13 at the time .As for firtd car 55 plymouth.Used to sneak it out and drive around the block when Iwas lioke 13 also.First legal was a 66 Coronet in drivers training.Cosyt 20 bucks for summer course.LOL Never get a deal like that now.Was 15 when I took it.Rocky
Posted by: 300by500

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/10/18 10:16 AM

Light green 1965 International pickup with a 6-cylinder three-on-the-tree, back in '79.

Dad said I couldn't drive our '73 Fury until I learned to drive the truck with the standard transmission first.

Looked nearly identical to this one...

Posted by: CrazyD

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/10/18 10:30 AM

1951 International dump truck. On ice covered road.
Posted by: JJ300

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/10/18 04:41 PM

Split between a 72 Scamp, and a 75 Cordoba. Took the test in the Cordoba, even had to parallel park it, WITHOUT assistance, as today's cars have.......
Posted by: Ramrod39

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/10/18 06:51 PM

'68 Fury III four door.
Posted by: OhioMopar

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/10/18 08:02 PM

1979 Volkswagen Rabbit. I drove it around the back yard when it was dry enough. Then I got a 1980 Jeep J20 pickup, and my daily driver through high school was a 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit.
Posted by: loco340cuda

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/10/18 08:08 PM

1981 Plymouth Reliant K-Car. It actually had a badge on the side that said 2.6L HEMI (LOL). I believe it was a Mitsubishi engine.
Posted by: RCKTMN

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/11/18 10:16 AM

I learned in my Dad's 1970 4-door Satellite.
Posted by: 69coronets

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/11/18 04:33 PM

1972 monte carlo and 65 dodge a100 truck 3 on tree 273 posi trac rearend dad bought new.
Posted by: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/11/18 05:29 PM

Learned to drive first, in Dad's '75 Newport 2 dr. hardtop with the
funky maroon/black/white AZTEC velour interior (remember those?) laugh2.
Took my drivers training in a brand new white '81 Plymouth Reliant directly from Roseville Chrysler-Plymouth on Gratiot Ave. The high school had a contract with them, for using their cars for training. The Reliant
was a total dog IIRC... work
Posted by: T2R9

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/11/18 05:38 PM

My moms 77 Nova 6 cylinder 3 on the tree. My dad gave me 5 bucks and said go figure it out.
Posted by: allmopar

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/11/18 05:44 PM

Learned how to drive in 1975 in a 70 challenger. Plum crazy with a white interior and top. 318 auto with console. Took my road test in it and passed 1st try. Learned how to drive stick in a VW bug.
Posted by: basketcase

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/11/18 07:55 PM

1969 Javelin and '73 Ford Galaxy...and learned to drive standard in Uncle Jim's 1965 GMC V6 5 speed
Posted by: bobby66

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/11/18 08:56 PM

'51 Ford Custom. Sweet old ride I bought for 50 bucks.
Posted by: Yellow Fever

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/11/18 09:02 PM

'65 Coronet 4 door slant 6.
Posted by: klunick

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/12/18 10:31 AM

1965 4 door Comet with 3 on the tree and a straight 6. Wish it had been a 2 door and I might have bought it off my grand dad. I was 14 and down on the farm. My folks had no idea until it came time for me to learn to drive and I put their stick car in gear and backed right out the driveway.:)
Posted by: AARCONV

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/12/18 10:48 AM

A 1972 dodge dart 4 door from the driving school...
Posted by: azmopar

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/12/18 12:00 PM

68 ROAD RUNNER learned how to drive stick in that car. then my mom got a slant 6 4 spd 76 duster she had no idea I knew how to drive the stick already
Posted by: Tom_440

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/12/18 12:39 PM

My Mom's Volvo 1800E. Stick Shift.

And my mom's best quote when I asked when the car had its last oil change... "What do you mean "oil change? I add oil when it gets low."
Posted by: blaze

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/12/18 08:24 PM

We had '74 Valiant 4dr, triple green and a '75 Impala. The Impala is what I took my test in. I learned to drive a 4speed when I bought my first vehicle with my own money, a '66 Chevy pick-up
Posted by: Kidsixpack

Re: What car did you learn to drive in? - 03/12/18 10:21 PM

In Drivers Ed we had an extended Econoline van. If you could park it you could park anything.
KID