Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday

Posted by: 318 Stroker

Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 04:39 PM

I spent 6 days visiting my sister in Orlando. On Sunday we all went to Disney Springs, the free portion of Disney. Of course there are plenty of things there to separate you from your money. One is the Amphicar ride. I ponied up the money for myself, girlfriend, and sister. The three of us cruised around the lake for 25 minutes. Quite a lot of fun to ride a car into a lake, and live to tell about it... grin I figured it would probably be the only time I'd ever get to ride in an Amphicar, and I'm glad I did it. Anyone else ridden in one?
Posted by: Morty426

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 04:45 PM

What? No pictures?

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By Morty426
What? No pictures?

Yeah, I knew that was coming! Sorry, no pics.
Posted by: stumpy

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 04:57 PM

Many years ago and it was interesting.
Posted by: DaytonaTurbo

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 05:13 PM

Cool, I would have paid for the ride too. After all, how many chances do you get to try it...
Posted by: Ramrod39

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 05:13 PM

Congrats. I've always thought they were interesting. I don't know that ever even seen one. I would have paid for a ride also. up
Posted by: A12

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By 318 Stroker
What? No pictures?

Yeah, I knew that was coming! So here's a pic, they let me drive.
wink grin

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By Ramrod39
Congrats. I've always thought they were interesting. I don't know that ever even seen one. I would have paid for a ride also. up

I've seen plenty in car mags over the years, but I don't think I've ever seen one in person, even with all of the car shows I've been to.

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By A12
Originally Posted By 318 Stroker
What? No pictures?

Yeah, I knew that was coming! So here's a pic, they let me drive.
wink grin

Yeah, yeah, that's me! Thanks A12... thumbs
Posted by: Dave Hall

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 06:30 PM

I was lucky enough to see a guy drive into the lake when I was a kid.
Posted by: amxautox

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 06:50 PM

Just have your water proof phone handy.

http://komonews.com/news/videos/coast-guard-rescues-man-from-sinking-car
Posted by: lilred

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 06:57 PM

I own a lagoon blue 1962 amphi, I have driven it on land when I first got it almost 20 years ago, hope to get it in the water once I finish the restoration now that I have become serious about finishing it. Looks like it should be a fun car, not 426 hemi fun but fun!!!
Posted by: OhioMopar

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 07:47 PM

I always thought those were neat. I had my picture taken with one at a car show when I was but a wee lad.
As I got older I read more about them and found out they aren't particularly good at being a car or a boat. It would still be fun to take a ride in one. On land and in water.
Posted by: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 08:28 PM

Neither good on water nor land...
Posted by: Evil Spirit

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 09:03 PM

One of the Amphicars at the Disney park was bought from Gas Monkey on Fast and Loud.
Posted by: Evil Spirit

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By Evil Spirit
One of the Amphicars at the Disney park was bought from Gas Monkey on Fast and Loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5e5h6DRrc
Posted by: cdstl

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 09:31 PM

Our neighbor across the street had one. One night I got to go for a ride with my Mom, Dad and aunt. Into the Mississippi river. I was about 5 and my mom was more than a little nervous.

That was about 1970.
Posted by: 65pacecar

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 09:33 PM

There used to be a guy in the 80's that would take his Amphicar on the Ohio River in Cincinnati to watch the WEBN fireworks labor day weekend. Always thought he was nuts to trust it in that river but he seemed to return for several years in a row......Come to think of it, I didn't see him that last few times I went.....
Posted by: DirectSubjection

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 09:51 PM

I saw those when I was in Disney Springs - very col! I am glad you took the ride up

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 09:57 PM

Found two pics. Large version:

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/310567/filename/c1.jpg
Posted by: poorboy

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/03/18 11:51 PM

Probably 10 years ago there was a guy that had on at the Beloit Auotrama show. About 1:30 he would take a few people with him and drive it into the Rock River, then return to the show. Kind of neat to watch, but I don't think I want a ride, with 4 people, they sit pretty low in the water. I suspect they are a pretty high maintenance vehicle. Gene
Posted by: Sunroofcuda

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By 65pacecar
There used to be a guy in the 80's that would take his Amphicar on the Ohio River in Cincinnati to watch the WEBN fireworks labor day weekend. Always thought he was nuts to trust it in that river but he seemed to return for several years in a row......Come to think of it, I didn't see him that last few times I went.....

It's at the bottom of the river. Amphi's last ride.
Posted by: abodyjoe

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 07:13 AM

saw those when we were down there at the end of nov. i wanted to take a ride by the daughter didn't want to... was like $125 or so for a ride.
Posted by: moparx

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 09:02 AM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
I was lucky enough to see a guy drive into the lake when I was a kid.

in my junkyard days back in the 70's, we drove a 59 impala into a pond one time. it didn't float.
beer
Posted by: 340wedge

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 11:01 AM

Very cool. We went to a wedding in Disney Springs a few years ago and I saw the Amphicars and talked to one of the drivers. I asked him if they were reproductions and he assured me they were original cars, which made it that much cooler!

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By abodyjoe
saw those when we were down there at the end of nov. i wanted to take a ride by the daughter didn't want to... was like $125 or so for a ride.

Yes, it's 125.00, that gets you up to 3 passengers. And they do tax it.
I got it for 100.00 + 13.00 tax. My sister has a Disney season pass, so we got a discount.

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By 340wedge
Very cool. We went to a wedding in Disney Springs a few years ago and I saw the Amphicars and talked to one of the drivers. I asked him if they were reproductions and he assured me they were original cars, which made it that much cooler!

They are definitely original. I chatted with the driver. They have 3 mechanics on staff, and he says with the Triumph Herald engines in them, they are kept busy... grin They also have a dedicated tow boat
to rescue the dead-in-the-water cars.
Posted by: solarguy

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 11:54 AM

http://www.theboathouseorlando.com/amphicar/

That looks like a blast. I'm going next time I'm near Orlando.
Posted by: second 70

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 12:07 PM

When I was a young boy I was out fishing with my Dad by the boat docks and a guy driving an amphicar pulled in the parking lot then right down the ramp into the water.

I was speechless as he drove away. I do remember it was very slow.

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By solarguy
http://www.theboathouseorlando.com/amphicar/

That looks like a blast. I'm going next time I'm near Orlando.

When you go, don't miss the Boathouse collection of vintage boats.
About 15 of them. 3 or 4 wooden Chris Crafts, some rare 50's boats with the fins and automotive styling, and a 1958 Unlimited Hydro with a V-12 Allison. Some absolutely stunning boats!
Posted by: Butterscotch71

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 12:10 PM

I remember someone in the area I lived as a kid (back in the 70s) had one, and it was rusty!

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 12:26 PM

I'd love one of these!

Posted by: Caper1

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 02:35 PM

They're usually at Steve Plunkett's Car Show London Ontario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCtG7t-6qMA
Posted by: RSNOMO

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 03:34 PM

See 'em all the time in these parts...

By land and by sea...

Remember seeing 'em new in the old neighborhood...
Posted by: HoosierTA

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 03:36 PM

One in my town back in the very early 70's. was always parked outside a small auto mechanic garage. recalled seeing propellers sticking out the back, and always looked for it when we drove past, in our Fairlane convertible.
Posted by: baron007

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 04:39 PM

A few years they restored one on Wheeler Dealers:
Sandblasting

Testing

Fun in the water
Posted by: B5 Bee

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 05:01 PM

At the Sunnyland Classic Boat Show in Tavares FL, there are usually 12-15 that show up.
The wood and old fiberglass boats are a big plus, especially the Chris Craft and Century boats powered by Chrysler Marine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAdVcz3jLh8

I live on Lake Eustis, I take my boat, cross the 4 miles to the .5 mile Dora Canal and about .5 mile to get to Lake Dora to check out the show.
Posted by: 69Dartman

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/04/18 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By DirectSubjection
I'd love one of these!

It was a better amphibian than the jeep version we built, I believe it did have a prop too.
They also made a 4 wheel drive bug during the war as well and I THINK it even had low range but they made a very small number as they mostly used their Kubelwagon that resembles the modern thing they made in the early 70s till I believe they were told to stop selling them.
Posted by: coronetgirl

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/05/18 10:00 AM

My dad knew someone with one when I was a kid. Took me out for a ride once. Went out on the Ohio River. I have pics of it somewhere.
Posted by: wingman

Re: Got to ride in an Amphicar on Sunday - 01/05/18 10:54 PM

Never got to ride in an Amphicar, but have been in these a few times. They let my 6-year old son drive some (in the lake of course).