Los Angeles Area Fires ...........

Posted by: kidmopar

Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:15 AM

I'm in Northern Central California , east of San Francisco Bay Area ........

Praying for everyone effected by this horrific catastrophe ....... angel luck

A few images I found on the net ..........

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dramatic-images-devastating-southern-california-175446170.html
Posted by: Morty426

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:47 AM

Yeah normally they get some rain before this late in the year. Not so this year.

Tragic all the loss in the State this year.
Posted by: autoxcuda

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 07:46 AM

Don't forget the Thomas fire in Ventura County. It's much bigger than the others.

100+ homes. 100's of structures. Saw classic cars just stashed at the bottom of the hills and parked in nearby parking lots in the city of Ventura. Very sad.

All roads between Ventura and Santa Barbera closed now.

This is near where the Thomas fire reportedly started north of Santa Paula far south of Ojai....
Posted by: Guitar Jones

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 08:32 AM

Really a bad situation. Having been through fires here it is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, not that I have any enemies though. Prayers for all.
Posted by: MidPenMopar

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 09:56 AM

Mt wife's brother and his family live in Ventura. Well let me say use to live there as of a few days ago.

Just terrible!! frown

Stu
Posted by: Rhinodart

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 10:52 AM

Sorry to hear about your BIL Stu, but to many people here in the "flyover states" you reap what you sow in Kalifornika... pity
Posted by: hemi71x

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 11:06 AM

Northern California went through the same thing, about two months ago.
Now a disaster has just moved down to the south part of the state.
Quite a hardship for everyone involved.
Posted by: ChryCoGuy

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 11:24 AM

Originally Posted By Rhinodart
Sorry to hear about your BIL Stu, but to many people here in the "flyover states" you reap what you sow in Kalifornika... pity

Your empathy is underwhelming, especially considering that you have personally experienced fire destroying your prized possessions...

Not going to say any more but I can imagine it feels really really bad to have your house and your stuff burn when the cause is something that you could not have personally prevented...
Posted by: new bee

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 11:39 AM

Just how did California reap what they have sown?
Posted by: 72N96RR

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 11:51 AM

ive already seen pics of a blue 71 cuda cooked to the ground...

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By new bee

You are a "smart" guy, figure it out on your own... tonguue
Posted by: krautrock

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:12 PM

i guess he is implying they shouldn't have planted all that vegetation that is currently fueling the fires???

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By krautrock

i guess he is implying they shouldn't have planted all that vegetation that is currently fueling the fires???

Maybe it's a statement recognizing the existence of global warming and that everyone in California caused it?? shruggy
Posted by: hooziewhatsit

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:15 PM

They held fundraisers to protect the endangered chaparral, that really likes to burn every 10-15 years? shruggy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By hooziewhatsit
They held fundraisers to protect the endangered chaparral, that really likes to burn every 10-15 years? shruggy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaparral

I thought you meant...

...and was surprised that they burn every 10 - 15 years... confused

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:24 PM

Ever hear the phrase "Let sleeping dogs lie."?

From Wiktionary;

Quote:
Verb

let sleeping dogs lie (third-person singular simple present lets sleeping dogs lie, present participle letting sleeping dogs lie, simple past and past participle let sleeping dogs lie)

(idiomatic) To leave things as they are; especially, to avoid restarting or rekindling an old argument; to leave disagreements in the past.

Eventually, they decided it would be best to let sleeping dogs lie and not discuss the matter any further.

Sometimes it takes a better man to just let it go.

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:30 PM

Yep. Time to move on. "Nothing to see here."

My condolences to all affected by the fires. I can't imagine how stressful, and heartbreaking in some cases, that it would be to deal with this.

frown
Posted by: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:43 PM

Pictures on the news are horrific. Here's to hoping its under control soon.
Posted by: Supercuda

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:46 PM

I think he's saying that the lack of proper forest conservation due to politically correct environmental theories are coming back to bite them. I seriously doubt he's saying "ha ha, karma is a female dog".

Nonetheless, those fires suck and I hope no one gets caught by them. Property can be replaced.
Posted by: 67Satty

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 12:59 PM

This might be the single stupidest thing I've ever seen posted on Moparts. Congratulations!
Posted by: topside

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 01:51 PM

Hey, I get the bitterness some folks have for California and certain facets of its image; I grew up in SoCal in the '60s when it was a fascinating, great and happy place and pretty much ground zero for what was cool.
Then the foolishness and bureaucracy too over, and it became a place that I regard like a sweet old girlfriend who becomes a crackhead. I left many years ago when I could stand it no longer.
But I still have friends there, and some fine memories of places and events, and the fires are horrible in every way. I also have old friends who are firefighters and I hope for their safety and success.

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By 72N96RR

Link the pic?

Most of homes damaged were in Ventura north of foothill blvd. I saw a 67 Mustang parked on a corner against a curb at the very edge of the fire area in Tuesday. Looked like they just drive it there to dump it and the get more stuff out.

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By 67Satty

This might be the single stupidest thing I've ever seen posted on Moparts. Congratulations!

You must not have been here very long, I am sure I have posted stupider things... tonguue

I stayed at the Ventura Beach RV park one year for Spring Fling and drove a 67 Dart GTS convertible to and from the show, it was a great place to visit but I for sure would never live there. Sorry that part of Cali has to burn... frown
Posted by: crackedback

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 03:04 PM

The assholery is strong in this thread.

Sometimes people need to say nothing/STFU than be a complete DOOSHBAG!!!
Posted by: hemi71x

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By autoxcuda
Originally Posted By 72N96RR

Link the pic?

Most of homes damaged were in Ventura north of foothill blvd. I saw a 67 Mustang parked on a corner against a curb at the very edge of the fire area in Tuesday. Looked like they just drive it there to dump it and the get more stuff out.

The Krispy Cuda. frown

Posted by: Diego (not Ted)

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 07:15 PM

What's the story on the 'Cuda?
Posted by: Supercuda

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 07:30 PM

It burned in a fire
Posted by: hosehead

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By crackedback

Agreed. Wow. down
Posted by: srt

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 08:34 PM

Unknowing opinion that the citizenry are responsible for the situation with the forest land. Many of the fires originate on land administered by federal ageencies. The sam agencies that are granted insufficient budget to carry out their responsibilities. Nearly all of northern Californians (October) fires were sparked by wind blown trees contacting power lines owned by a private company . The same company that has historically shown they do not budget enough to maintain their facilities (San Bruno gas line inferno and thousands of miles of aerial power lines) while at the same time managing to pay stockholders dividends and their bureaucracy huge salaries. The same company that is under-insured and hopes to pass their liability on to rate-payers.
Incendiary posts having no basis in reality shouldn't be viewed with merit.
Posted by: MidPenMopar

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 10:28 PM

I know everyone hates California, and yes there are some people here that have ideas way beyond common sense, but at the same time we also have people here that are good folks who would do anything for you if you needed help. So let's not lump all of us in one P.C. bag. In the end this is about people who lost or will lose everything and they suddenly come together, push away differences and understand each other's losses when a devastating event like this occurs.

Stu
Posted by: flypaper

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 11:00 PM

having personal loss from fire in my life
I can empathize with all of those who have suffered a loss.
now if a earthquake or tsunami struck work j/k wink
Posted by: MuuMuu101

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 11:11 PM

When I got home tonight, I could smell the fire and I live 50 miles away. The winds are pretty strong. We had some guests at work from Minnesota and Vermont and they decided to go smoke out front on their lunch break. Well, when they dropped their cigarette butts on the ground, they accidentally set our front lawn on fire. The fire department had to come and put it out.
Posted by: Dave Hall

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 11:44 PM

That's messed up. Maybe they'll think twice about littering their stinky butts. Never seen a cigarette start a lawn on fire. Were they smoking cigars or something? Hopefully the fire people stay safe, get a reprieve from the winds and control this. Not good!
Posted by: MuuMuu101

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/07/17 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By Dave Hall
That's messed up. Maybe they'll think twice about littering their stinky butts. Never seen a cigarette start a lawn on fire. Were they smoking cigars or something? Hopefully the fire people stay safe, get a reprieve from the winds and control this. Not good!

We've had problems with our own employees. It's not necessarily a lawn as it's shrubbery between the sidewalk and parking lot. We used to have big trees, but they cut them down a year and a half ago for drought tolerant plants and that plus the mulch caught fire.

But you see it all the time on the freeway where people just flick their cigarette ashes out the window. Between the extreme heat this past summer and the winds this winter, we've been having wildfires like crazy.
Posted by: hosehead

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 12:04 AM

Originally Posted By MuuMuu101
When I got home tonight, I could smell the fire and I live 50 miles away. The winds are pretty strong. We had some guests at work from Minnesota and Vermont and they decided to go smoke out front on their lunch break. Well, when they dropped their cigarette butts on the ground, they accidentally set our front lawn on fire. The fire department had to come and put it out.

People's lack of self awareness never ceases to amaze me. Unbelievable.... shock
Posted by: Dave Hall

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 12:55 AM

The Tan Bark/mulch makes more sense. That stuff is like fire tinder. Didn't Tom Hanks use that stuff in Castaway? People are stupid. Most don't realize that oxygen/air is more than half the equation....

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 01:23 AM

I walk along a road near our home for excercise/cardio (yes, it's steep). I find an equal amount of butts and cans/paper cups/bottles (al and glass are mainly alcohol). Living in the woods this bothers me a lot. I've got our property close to the road down to mineral soil and mow the 30' swath between our fence and pavement several times a year. The guy across the road noticed my work and has been working clearing his property he mentioned to me he's observed the same. Likely the same person or persons use this stretch as their dumping ground.
Our area is the last stand of forest that has not been burned in the previous 10 yrs. We're removing the last pine and converting the property to oaks and irrigated production (veggies and harvestable trees).

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By srt
Unknowing opinion that the citizenry are responsible for the situation with the forest land. Many of the fires originate on land administered by federal ageencies. The sam agencies that are granted insufficient budget to carry out their responsibilities. Nearly all of northern Californians (October) fires were sparked by wind blown trees contacting power lines owned by a private company . The same company that has historically shown they do not budget enough to maintain their facilities (San Bruno gas line inferno and thousands of miles of aerial power lines) while at the same time managing to pay stockholders dividends and their bureaucracy huge salaries. The same company that is under-insured and hopes to pass their liability on to rate-payers.

And who owned those overgrown trees that blew into the power lines?

Why wouldn't the owners of the overgrown not maintained trees have responsibility ?

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By srt

And who owned those overgrown trees that blew into the power lines?

Why wouldn't the owners of the overgrown not maintained trees have responsibility ?

Because taking responsibility is not in vogue anymore. Has to be someone else's fault, their childhood upbringing, daddy spanked them or they didn't get a participation trophy for losing. Sprinkles are for winners kid. laugh2
Posted by: p d'ro

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By srt
I walk along a road near our home for excercise/cardio (yes, it's steep). I find an equal amount of butts and cans/paper cups/bottles (al and glass are mainly alcohol). Living in the woods this bothers me a lot. I've got our property close to the road down to mineral soil and mow the 30' swath between our fence and pavement several times a year. The guy across the road noticed my work and has been working clearing his property he mentioned to me he's observed the same. Likely the same person or persons use this stretch as their dumping ground.
Our area is the last stand of forest that has not been burned in the previous 10 yrs. We're removing the last pine and converting the property to oaks and irrigated production (veggies and harvestable trees).

The next time you are in the left lane at a traffic light look at the curb to your left. Around here it is an inch thinck with cigarette butts. If I were a judge I would ask cops to write tickets and waive the fine to impose road clean up duty. All goes into our bay. Inconsiderate. Luckily we get too much rain to burn.
Posted by: feets

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 09:10 AM

What exactly is a

DOOSHBAG!!!

?

Is that anything like a douche bag?

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 10:00 AM

Power line law is very clear on whom owns and maintains the corridor for poles and aerial lines. Power line easements include not only the pole location, but the land between the poles and airspace the radiates up and out from the ground. It's the owner of the facilities that cause the need. Trees are natural and poles are not. If it were not for cost all power lines would be underground, save for transmission lines due to exorbitant costs associated with cooling high voltage. It's common for power companies to abate private owners landscaping that is planted where it may contact their facilities. There is no reason for a land owner to subsidize a for profit corporation. Would you maintain the public or private facilities (street, sidewalk, sewer, water, cable lines) in front of your home? I realize taxes provide some maintenance, many areas those facilities are privately owned and operated.
Excerpt from California Law (prompted by congress (law) prompted my massive power outages in Ohio.
"General Order 95 provides a bare minimum clearance for all areas throughout California for which local fire fighters are responsible. Areas that are outside city boundaries fall within the CalFire or U.S. Forest Service jurisdiction and are more strictly regulated by state law and have minimum clearance requirements for high voltage lines ranging from 4-10 feet, depending on voltage. Clearance must be sufficient to prevent vegetation from intersecting the power line considering foreseeable wind velocities, temperatures up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, and character of the vegetation."

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 10:35 AM

Originally Posted By srt
Would you maintain the public or private facilities (street, sidewalk, sewer, water, cable lines) in front of your home?

The sidewalk, yes, the vegetation, yes. Why? Because I don't want my house to burn or someone to get hurt walking by.

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 10:52 AM

Where you live, is it an incorporated town/city where sidewalks are on your property and the vegetation is less tall than the power lines? I live in an un-incorporated rural area where parcels are large tracts.
I can assure you that I maintain everything I have responsibility. I don't believe I will subsidize private, for profit, companies or municipalities where I may incur liability for damaging their facilities.

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By srt
Where you live, is it an incorporated town/city where sidewalks are on your property and the vegetation is less tall than the power lines? I live in an un-incorporated rural area where parcels are large tracts.
I can assure you that I maintain everything I have responsibility. I don't believe I will subsidize private, for profit, companies or municipalities where I may incur liability for damaging their facilities.

I don't have a sidewalk at this house but where I did at the previous house the county would maintain that and the 25' between it and the roadway, sometimes. I still cut the grass on a weekly basis regardless of who was supposed to take care of it. I didn't trim the trees but would hire someone to do it if the proper authorities failed to do it.
Posted by: skicker

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 11:56 AM

Granted this doesn't apply to the devastation in Cali...but around here you have no choice but to take care of the county owned properties and easements...paper alleys and the like... They're not going to do anything...They get mowed regularly and leaves removed in the fall...
Locally it boils down to whether or not you care what happens to your property...

A while back I took down a dead tree in a paper alley...tree hugging neighbor had a conniption fit about it and called the county to complain. argue She was promptly told by them that they wished everyone would take care of their neighborhoods as they (the county) can't be everywhere... up yours you rancid little witch... tonguue
In hindsight I wished I'd have let it hit her house instead... frowwn

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 01:42 PM

G Jones, we are completely on the same page. Beware crossing your property lines though, I'm aware of instances where intentional falls by third parties cost individuals $$ in liability. A drunk leaving the restaurant tripped on a pothole in front that the restaurant owner had filled with gravel. This pothole was on the paved shoulder of a road and NOT in a driveway covered by an encroachment permit. The municipality successfully argued that the road crews would have noticed the hole and paved it and the drunk would have not scraped her nose.
Get permission! I do this every year prior to mowing (our) land that is part of a road easement and not used for road purposes. I don't like it, but today it's the way the blood suckers work.
Posted by: dart4forte

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 02:37 PM

Don't forget the Thomas fire in Ventura County. It's much bigger than the others.

100+ homes. 100's of structures. Saw classic cars just stashed at the bottom of the hills and parked in nearby parking lots in the city of Ventura. Very sad.

This is near where the Thomas fire reportedly started north of Santa Paula far south of Ojai....

Is that Mullholland?
Posted by: crackedback

Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... - 12/08/17 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By dart4forte

Is that Mullholland?

The Skirball fire is closer to mullholland. Right up to road at the 405.