Moparts

The Alphabet on earlier Fender Tags.

Posted By: Topcat

The Alphabet on earlier Fender Tags. - 11/22/11 06:45 AM

Was there any particular reason why the whole alphabet was put on Fender tsgs on earlier Mopars?
When did they stop doing that? Any reason?
Posted By: A12

Re: The Alphabet on earlier Fender Tags. - 11/22/11 07:31 AM

Just a guess on my part but with alpha characters you have the possibility of 26 single character categories or places instead of 10 (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9), but as they do in 17-digit VIN's they don't use I, O, or U because they could be mistaken for 1, 0 (zero) or V but I'm surprised they use the letter Q which is also not used on a 17-digit VIN. Anyway they have 23 possibilities for codes. Then they used the last numeric character of the option or item number. And in some places they used a sort of abbreviation of the code/item like PNT for paint code, AX for axle code, TRM interior trim,...

Then they also used upper and lower case letters for another 23 or 46 total code placements...again just a guess

MikeR
Posted By: A12

Re: The Alphabet on earlier Fender Tags. - 11/22/11 07:32 AM

Oh and that ended with the 1968 model year
Posted By: 69CoronetRT

Re: The Alphabet on earlier Fender Tags. - 11/22/11 08:04 AM

Quote:

Was there any particular reason why the whole alphabet was put on Fender tsgs on earlier Mopars?
When did they stop doing that? Any reason?

My guess....If you have a smaller number of options, it's actually easier to use.

Once the number of options and packages available grows, using the letter and two digit code gives you more possibilities to work with.

If you use 23 capital and 23 small letters you can code 460 different things. If you use the letter and two numbers you can code 2,548.
Posted By: NicksGarage

Re: The Alphabet on earlier Fender Tags. - 11/22/11 04:47 PM

See the following page for some good information.

http://andy440.com/tag.htm
© 2024 Moparts Forums