Moparts

Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges?

Posted By: BigDaddy440

Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/20/11 02:32 AM

Hey guys,

I think I might have a set of upper Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges. They had been on my 69 A12 Roadrunner for over 25 years, but are not original to the car. Due to their age, I thought maybe the previous owner of my Roadrunner, which was raced all its life, might have put them on to save a little weight. I do not have the lower units.

Here's a pic:

Do these appear to be original super stock aluminum units?

Thanks.
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/20/11 12:08 PM

A990 lower alum hinge reference

Attached picture 6927717-LowerA990alum.jpg
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/20/11 12:10 PM

A990 Upper alum hinge reference

Attached picture 6927720-upperhinge.jpg
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/20/11 10:03 PM

Looks like early B's take a different hinges.

And the original part numbers don't interchange with 68 A-bodies (S/S)

Might be someone's "cheater" creation. Wouldn't rule out Chryler as being "someone".
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/20/11 10:31 PM

Quote:

Might be someone's "cheater" creation. Wouldn't rule out Chryler as being "someone".

I can't see it being anyone else, those came out of the same dies as OE hinges, there isn't enough weight savings to justify someone hand making them...
Posted By: BigDaddy440

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/21/11 04:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I can't see it being anyone else, those came out of the same dies as OE hinges, there isn't enough weight savings to justify someone hand making them...

Hummm. Yeah, looking at the design, I'm fairly certain they're real Chrysler parts. Dave Watt seems certain that all A12 cars had the standard hinges, like any other RR, so I'm just trying to identify where they came from. My A12 is a super early build, so I guess they could have been trying new things, but then why wouldn't the lowers be aluminum? Aluminum uppers only hardly save any weight.

If anyone thinks they know about these hinges, please let me know.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/21/11 04:30 AM

I just judged a 64 Dodge this weekend at the MCACN show in Chicago and those sure look like the one's that were on that car!
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/21/11 10:00 AM

Quote:

I just judged a 64 Dodge this weekend at the MCACN show in Chicago and those sure look like the one's that were on that car!

Do 65 A990's take a different aluminum hinge than 64's?

Do 64 and 65 hinges interchange?
Posted By: Hemidavey

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/22/11 02:05 AM

I worked at a prtototype shop here in Deroit area in early 80's that was once owned by Ted Spehar. "upstairs" in the storage area we had lots of aluminum hinges that look like yours. They were made by Apollo Welding (the Trick Titanium people) and sold by Spehar to lighten various Mopars. We also had Titanium brake pedals, Magnesium clutch padals, Titanium strut rod kits and lots of other really lightweight parts. To save you a river of tears I won't tell you what we did with all the extra Altered Wheelbase parts.....
Posted By: gbolten480

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/22/11 03:02 PM

Quote:

I worked at a prtototype shop here in Deroit area in early 80's that was once owned by Ted Spehar. "upstairs" in the storage area we had lots of aluminum hinges that look like yours. They were made by Apollo Welding (the Trick Titanium people) and sold by Spehar to lighten various Mopars. We also had Titanium brake pedals, Magnesium clutch padals, Titanium strut rod kits and lots of other really lightweight parts. To save you a river of tears I won't tell you what we did with all the extra Altered Wheelbase parts.....

I'm already crying - whole assortment sounds like a treasure chest.
Posted By: fullmetaljacket

Re: Original Super Stock Aluminum Door Hinges? - 11/30/11 04:27 AM

Wow, if you knew.
© 2024 Moparts Forums