Moparts

Duplicating Paint Markings

Posted By: floyd

Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/27/11 04:02 PM

Anyone know how markings like this were originally made? Sprayed? Daubed? How would you duplicate these?

Thanks

Attached picture 6890792-pspumpmarkings.jpg
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/27/11 04:34 PM

Looks like drips?????

if so thats how I would recreate them.

dip something in paint and hold it over the part and let it drip

A coffee stirrer is good to use( they are very thin straws )
maybe a pencil eraser dipped in paint and 'dab' it there
Posted By: MMC Detroit

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/28/11 10:31 AM

Those marks are made with paint daubers.

Attached picture 6892001-yellowdaub.JPG
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/28/11 12:36 PM

You can't duplicate them and make them look natural. They will always look like someone tried to duplicate them and not look original.

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/28/11 02:02 PM

Quote:

Those marks are made with paint daubers.

What does a dauber look like? A big q-tip type thing?
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/28/11 02:55 PM

Quote:

You can't duplicate them and make them look natural. They will always look like someone tried to duplicate them and not look original.

well...how were they put on there originally then? when the cars were new, did the paint dabs all look "duplicated and not original"?
Posted By: srt

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/28/11 04:12 PM

get some (empty) small travel size shampoo bottles and stuff some open cell foam into it after filling with a small amount of thinned enamel paint.
Trick is to get the foam stuffed in there with a small amount hanging out (that should be trimmed to a square or circle as needed, depending on mark) and have the right paint consistency.
Practice on scraps until you can quickly dab the foam and ger the right paint dribble. Try having about 1/4" of foam protruding above the bottle top, that seems to be the right amount. Thinning is tricky, it does not take much.

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/28/11 04:28 PM

Thanks - I may give that a try.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/28/11 06:06 PM

http://www.franticstamper.com/ranger-daubers.htm

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=751

Try searching for refillable bingo markers or duabers. Or look as Micheals or some type of craft store.
Posted By: lahatte

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/29/11 05:37 AM

Ok, on that Franticstamper site, which colors do I need to correctly mark all the spots on my 71 383 cuda?
Posted By: Runnin74

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/29/11 04:16 PM

Have a look at this page....
http://www.mmcdetroit.com/ICCA/References/Inspection_Marks/Inspection_marks_1_23_2003-1.html
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/29/11 07:02 PM

Quote:

Why can't you? Unless you are trying to be deliberate, gravity and paint will flow the same today as it did forty years ago. Magic robots didn't apply those markings at the factory. People did. It was an inspection mark to indicate that someone checked a particular function or service to a part. Apply it like they did and it will look original again.

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/29/11 09:37 PM

I used aeresol-can paint sprayed into a dixie cup (nice and thin) and daubed it on with a fluffed up q-tip. Good enough for me. Thans for the suggestions.

Attached picture 6894138-pspumpmarkings3.jpg
Posted By: idrivevintage

Re: Duplicating Paint Markings - 10/30/11 03:46 PM

Looks nice!
© 2024 Moparts Forums