Moparts

Chrome transfer film

Posted By: Commando1

Chrome transfer film - 10/27/11 01:54 PM

Recently a topic in this section was about using chrome or chrome-like transfer film for small restorations jobs such as dashboards.
It was mentioned by several people that they got theirs from "the local crafts store". Here in Fumbuck County, we have one!! Michaels. I searched in there fruitlessly and of course the superbly trained and highly knowledgeable, eager to assist "associates" were 100% clueless because it had nothing to do with scrap booking .
Any help? Thanks.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Chrome transfer film - 10/27/11 02:02 PM

Bare metal foil ?

It used on models to replicate chrome, avail at most hoddy shops. Or it's all over Ebay
Posted By: TinCuda

Re: Chrome transfer film - 10/27/11 02:04 PM

I was going to get some of this and see how it works.

http://www.testors.com/product/0/2734/_/Silver_Chrome_Trim_MM_-_12_oz._Bottle

Has anyone tried this?

Posted By: A12

Re: Chrome transfer film - 10/27/11 02:43 PM

Trimbrite is the name of the company, do a search for it and you should find Advance Auto Parts, Auto Zone, etc. carries it or can order it.

I used it to line the tail light reflector area (that is normally silver paint) on my '68 road runner and wow the difference and visability is amazing. I'm going to do the '69 GTX tail lights and may even do the front running lights/turn signals with it because it is so much brighter!!!!

MikeR

Re: Chrome transfer film - 10/27/11 06:55 PM

Thanks, guys.

Re: Chrome transfer film - 10/27/11 07:03 PM

Quote:

Bare metal foil ?

It used on models to replicate chrome, avail at most hoddy shops. Or it's all over Ebay

That's it!
Couldn't remember the name. Thanks.

http://www.bare-metal.com/bare-metal-foil.html
Posted By: Mastershake340

Re: Chrome transfer film - 10/27/11 07:04 PM

Chrome and aluminum like foils for making models are available from many sources, like ebay or online hobby shops. I have seen it at Hobby Lobby if you have one in your area. I tried some bare metal foil on one of my cars and wasn't real happy with the results, I don't think it is made to stand up to the environment a real car experiences even if that car spends most of its time in the garage and only comes out on the nicest of days.
Works great on models though!
It's cheap, so it is worth a try, you can always scrape it off if you don't like the results and look for a plan "B".
Good luck!

Re: Chrome transfer film - 10/27/11 07:12 PM

Quote:

I have seen it at Hobby Lobby if you have one in your area.

"a hobby store in my area"

A "hobby" store around here only sells salt licks or John Deere replacement parts.
Posted By: A12

Re: Chrome transfer film - 10/27/11 08:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have seen it at Hobby Lobby if you have one in your area.

"a hobby store in my area"

A "hobby" store around here only sells salt licks or John Deere replacement parts.

Well you're in luck, you can get Trimbrite at Blain's Farm + Fleet, Mill's Fleet Farm and most all of the national auto parts chains.....

http://trimbrite.com/retailers.html

The chrome like film I put on the tail light shells was pretty thin and I'm sure it would work for what I think you're trying to do. I've seen it work on interior door panels (old BMW 2002tii) and last a long time....DAMHIK that's why I tried it on the tail lights.
© 2024 Moparts Forums