Moparts

68/70 Charger door observance

Posted By: sixpackbee

68/70 Charger door observance - 10/25/11 01:36 AM

I have a Charger door here that does not have nor ever did have the upper padded door panel. I was unaware that you could get one without them. Could they be had without them or is this another one of those oddities?
Posted By: pinkduster

Re: 68/70 Charger door observance - 10/25/11 01:43 AM

I believe that only the 70 could be had without the upper door pads.
Posted By: idrivevintage

Re: 68/70 Charger door observance - 10/25/11 02:42 AM

I once had a 70' that didn't have them for what its worth

Always thought it was odd too.

I like them.
Posted By: 70gtx440dana

Re: 68/70 Charger door observance - 10/25/11 03:32 AM

Quote:

I have a Charger door here that does not have nor ever did have the upper padded door panel. I was unaware that you could get one without them. Could they be had without them or is this another one of those oddities?

In 1970 the base model "XH" Charger did not have the upper door pads. The 500 and R/T came equipped with them.
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: 68/70 Charger door observance - 10/25/11 03:49 AM

Here is the page from the salesman data book showing as stated above, no upper door pad on base model. The base model also had a bench seat as standard equipment. Both things were 70 only, not 68/69. I assume they were cost cutting measures.

Attached picture 6887217-chargertrim.jpg
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: 68/70 Charger door observance - 10/25/11 02:13 PM

Thanks all. Learned something new again. I had two 70's. One R/T & one 500. I guess that explains why I thought they all had them. Thanks Again.
Posted By: chargervert

Re: 68/70 Charger door observance - 10/25/11 03:03 PM

I had a 70 XH base Charger for my daily driver back in the eighties. It was FY1 yellow,just like my R/T SE. I put R/T scoops on it,painted a tailstripe on it,and put magnum 500s on it,and the cars looked like twins. I used to swap the plates from car to car,and only the R/T was really registered. It had a bench seat,no upper pads,and a design where the clock/tach would normally be. It had radio delete too. It did not even have the map light Chargers have under the dash pad. just a black metal block off plate. The car was a 318/3 speed manual on the column. It had 14 inch painted yellow steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps. It was about as base a Charger as there ever was. I later parted it out. Like my R/T SE it had typical New England Charger rust issues.
Posted By: rtidd440

Re: 68/70 Charger door observance - 10/26/11 09:58 AM

Quote:

I had a 70 XH base Charger for my daily driver back in the eighties. It was FY1 yellow,just like my R/T SE. I put R/T scoops on it,painted a tailstripe on it,and put magnum 500s on it,and the cars looked like twins. I used to swap the plates from car to car,and only the R/T was really registered. It had a bench seat,no upper pads,and a design where the clock/tach would normally be. It had radio delete too. It did not even have the map light Chargers have under the dash pad. just a black metal block off plate. The car was a 318/3 speed manual on the column. It had 14 inch painted yellow steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps. It was about as base a Charger as there ever was. I later parted it out. Like my R/T SE it had typical New England Charger rust issues.

About 20 years ago there was a 70 exactly like that except for color, in a junkyard south of here. Never before or since have I seen another charger with a 3 on the tree manual. The only cool option this one had was buckets with a six way seat, now in my friends 70 GTX. Had to have been a sales bank car.
© 2024 Moparts Forums