Moparts

Edelbrock Thunder Series, 800 cfm

Posted By: hemi68charger

Edelbrock Thunder Series, 800 cfm - 10/09/11 04:47 PM

Hey gang..
OK, my 4618SA is getting a little long in the tooth. I've been contemplating swapping it out with something new. I've heard that the Edelbrock AVS Thunder Series 800 cfm run lean. Does anyone have experiences with them? Anyone with multiple angle pictures? What I'd like to do is put one on and still be able to utilize the OEM choke thermostat. I want this Daytona as dependable as possible yet retaining as much OEM as possible. I've got the Pertronix Ignitor II on it and that seems to be working just fine...

Also, anyone with a source for the best price. I've googles them and seen the prices range from the mid $500's to mid $300's.

Cheers,
Troy
Posted By: okie

Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series, 800 cfm - 10/09/11 05:19 PM

I've got one on my 70 383 RoadRunner and it works just fine. I bought it from Jegs they had the best price. Good Luck Ronnie
Posted By: Dixie

Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series, 800 cfm - 10/10/11 02:11 AM

Quote:

Hey gang..
OK, my 4618SA is getting a little long in the tooth. I've been contemplating swapping it out with something new. I've heard that the Edelbrock AVS Thunder Series 800 cfm run lean. Does anyone have experiences with them? Anyone with multiple angle pictures? What I'd like to do is put one on and still be able to utilize the OEM choke thermostat. I want this Daytona as dependable as possible yet retaining as much OEM as possible. I've got the Pertronix Ignitor II on it and that seems to be working just fine...

Also, anyone with a source for the best price. I've googles them and seen the prices range from the mid $500's to mid $300's.

Cheers,
Troy

Mine ran lean out of the box. Buy a strip kit, and adjust accordingly.

I had the same idea of using the thermostat. Won't work, it's wider than a factory carb and covers the choke well. I found that out the hard way after I bought mine. Also, it's taller than a factory carb and mine rubs my hood pad if using a factory carb spacer.

Hope that helps !

Attached picture 6863931-f3Chargercartercarbpassview.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series, 800 cfm - 10/10/11 02:39 AM

You aren't likely going to see any performance gains over your factory carb if it's in proper working order. Yes, the Thunder series MIGHT (and I stress MIGHT) make a few more HP on a dyno, but you aren't likely going to actually feel any seat of the pants difference on a stock or mildly modified engine.

*BTW, If it's a consideration I could make your original run and look like new and it would cost right in the middle of the price range you mentioned

Attached picture 6863970-AVS440CarbAfter_big.jpg
Posted By: Dunnuck Racing

Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series, 800 cfm - 10/10/11 02:53 AM

I just posted a dyno pull over in the truck section that I did today. It used a stock Edelbrock 800 with no tuning on it yet.It shows the jetting as being pretty decent for max power as far as an OOTB carb goes,on a truck 440 anyway.
Keith
Posted By: hemi68charger

Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series, 800 cfm - 10/10/11 03:59 AM

Quote:

You aren't likely going to see any performance gains over your factory carb if it's in proper working order. Yes, the Thunder series MIGHT (and I stress MIGHT) make a few more HP on a dyno, but you aren't likely going to actually feel any seat of the pants difference on a stock or mildly modified engine.

*BTW, If it's a consideration I could make your original run and look like new and it would cost right in the middle of the price range you mentioned

Hey Scott..
I'm not looking for performance gains, just dependability. The OEM carbs do pretty well as they are. I'm just tired of dealing with 40+ year old stuff... Glad my wife doesn't think that or I'd be in trouble..

But, in all seriousness, I'll PM you... What about some bartering? Trade ya a six pack air cleaner assembly..

Thanks Randy and all for your replies...

Troy
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Edelbrock Thunder Series, 800 cfm - 10/10/11 04:20 AM

No problem, PM replied
© 2024 Moparts Forums