Moparts

Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there?

Posted By: Mopar Grandpa

Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 12:24 AM

This thread is for CONSTRUCTIVE discussions only and is intended to help everyone understand what the common practice was, if there was a common practice. If you post here trying to critisize someone PLEASE don't!

So here's the question. When they blacked out the core support did they get over spray on the valance and/or core support? If you don't have documented pictures of survivor cars PLEASE don't post your opinion or guesses as that leads to .
Posted By: floyd

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 12:43 AM

Not sure what car you're doing. Here are some from a T/A.

Attached picture 6856483-radsupport1.jpg
Posted By: floyd

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 12:43 AM

another

Attached picture 6856486-radsupport2.jpg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 01:23 AM

Yep, it sure helps to tell us EXACTLY what car you are referencing, it makes a difference as to what got painted.
Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 01:24 AM

I saw the photo on the other forum where you had black overspray (spots) on top of the painted grill and latch support. Can you post the photo? Even if you had documentation photos to show yours specifically came that way, I would not leave it like that. Nobody would question a nicely painted grill support but everyone who sees the overspray on top will question it. If you can't document it, it doesn't make any sense to have the overspray on it? It would normally get cleaned up one way or another at the factory or detailed upon delivery but I would want it to look good for shows if It were mine.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 01:37 AM

Quote:

Yep, it sure helps to tell us EXACTLY what car you are referencing, it makes a difference as to what got painted.

I believe the O.P. is looking for blackout pictures of survivior radiator supports and area of 1969 Plymouth B-bodies.

Don't know if 1969 Coronetss would be the same?
Posted By: az426john

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 01:50 AM

I have several that show just what you are looking for, but they are too large to post.

PM me with your email address and I will send them to you. This is a point of contention with over restored cars that are being pushed by "Others" as being correct.

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 01:52 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I believe the O.P. is looking for blackout pictures of survivior radiator supports and area of 1969 Plymouth B-bodies.

'68, '69 & 70 B bodies if they are pretty much the same. And not just the radiator support. The valance that has the hood latch is also important for this thread. See attached pic.

Attached picture 6856654-IMG_2066.JPG

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:01 AM

When it comes to blackout paint on the core support they were all treated the same across the years and the product lines. It was strictly a "lick and a promise" process.

I was told that it was done by a guy in a pit as the car passed over his head and the results seem to bare those facts out. It was a crappy haphazzard job that was done at best.

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:14 AM

Again, not being critical but just trying to help with semantics. That is the grill support, not the valence. The question was can you document it? Here's some food for thought: do you feel it adds anything to the appearance or authenticity of your car? Do you like the way it looks or should anyone else? Do you think you could remove the overspray without damaging the paint? (If it's clearcoat or a cured single stage urethane before it was blacked out, you might be able to fix it.) What would be your reason for leaving it that way unless it is just out of respect for Paul
Jacobs creating it like that?
Posted By: cdp

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:20 AM

69-A12-RR

Attached picture 6856692-Copyoftear_down_a12001.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:22 AM

another

Attached picture 6856701-71_cuda012.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:23 AM

other side.

Attached picture 6856703-71_cuda011.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:26 AM

valance..

Attached picture 6856709-71_cuda015.jpg
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:33 AM

Quote:

When it comes to blackout paint on the core support they were all treated the same across the years and the product lines. It was strictly a "lick and a promise" process.

I was told that it was done by a guy in a pit as the car passed over his head and the results seem to bare those facts out. It was a crappy haphazzard job that was done at best.

Nope, not the same on A-Bodys! Because of the other post I was pretty sure he meant 68-70 B-Body's, but just being sure. The PROCESS was the same, like you said a guy in a pit, but there are differences on what was assembled when the process was done.

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:40 AM

Quote:

valance..

Wow! I can't believe the amount of black on the back of the valence and how little on the radiator support! Good photos but what about on top if your grill support?

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:45 AM

Quote:

other side.

I think the guy in the pit must have taken some "tokes" before trying to apply the black out on this A12. Not a very good job of getting the radiator support painted.
More pics Please.
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 02:55 AM

Are you looking for A, B, or E body pics?

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 03:05 AM

Quote:

Are you looking for A, B, or E body pics?

B
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 03:37 AM

Quote:

Quote:

other side.

I think the guy in the pit must have taken some "tokes" before trying to apply the black out on this A12. Not a very good job of getting the radiator support painted.
More pics Please.

I'm sure that radiator support had more paint on it when it was new than it does now 30 some odd years later ..

oops ...

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 03:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

other side.

More pics Please.

I'm sure that radiator support had more paint on it when it was new than it does now 30 some ood years later ..

oops ...

30 or 40? ood or odd? Think you been a "token".

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 03:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

other side.

More pics Please.

I'm sure that radiator support had more paint on it when it was new than it does now 30 some ood years later ..

oops ...

30 or 40? ood or odd? Think you been a "token".

no token , never know if I'm going to have to pee in a cup ...

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 12:48 PM

the A12 is repainted now. Here are the last few pics I have on this PC. The blackout is obviously faded away.

Attached picture 6857158-71_cuda013.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 12:49 PM

other side..

Attached picture 6857159-71_cuda014.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 12:53 PM

last one..

Attached picture 6857162-tear_down_a12018.jpg
Posted By: lewtot184

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 12:53 PM

if you want to look at original underhood/core support black-out my 69 r/t has it. i'm a in the indy area.

Attached picture 6857163-100_0251.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 05:50 PM

I'm pretty sure Grandpa us talking about the black overspray on the top of his painted latch support in the photo above, not the radiator support. You have to look close at the photo. Anyone have an original car with black that got on top of this area?

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/05/11 08:18 PM

Quote:

if you want to look at original underhood/core support black-out my 69 r/t has it. i'm a in the indy area.

Yes, I'd like to see it. I'll send you a PM with my contact info. Thanks
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/06/11 03:36 AM

Here are the pictures I took from my 1970 barracuda survivor. From all my research, almost every car will be a little different as the where painted by a human bean….and we all know how precise us humans are.

Posted By: SeventySatellite

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/06/11 06:48 AM

Quote:

I was told that it was done by a guy in a pit as the car passed over his head

40 hours a week in the pit. I bet he was glad at quitin' time on Fridays.
Posted By: jaycuda

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/06/11 01:55 PM

Thats why twinsburg stamping Plant is closed ! They work an hour then an hour off they called it hr on hr off or the other (making out)=s blow true it and leave still getting pay for the day. Some time's you go to the sick room and see the nurse if your tummy hert. No kiding boys!

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 12:45 AM

This is a survivor picture that Bill sent to me of his '69 RR survivor car. If a painter was in a pit beneath the car how in the world did he get paint on the bottom lip of the radiator support? Was there a guy in a pit and one on top? Inquiring minds want to know.

Attached picture 6861004-IMG_1409.JPG

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 12:56 AM

Quote:

This is a survivor picture that Bill sent to me of his '69 RR survivor car. If a painter was in a pit beneath the car how in the world did he get paint on the bottom lip of the radiator support? Was there a guy in a pit and one on top? Inquiring minds want to know.

Your original question was about the blackout overspray on top of your "valence"( grill support). Here's a question for you, if your car came like the one in the previous photo and you were doing a rotisserie paint job, would you duplicate the terrible looking overspray paint above the lip? If you duplicated it in a resto, would you keep a photo of it to show the judges that it came that way? If you didn't know it came that way, would you want yours to look like that because it might have come that way? Same way of thinking about the top of your grill
support. I don't see any overspray on top of the grill
support in the photo...that was your original question. Nobody has acknowledged seeing one with the overspray like yours. Are you really satisfied with having yours that way?
Posted By: 70 buzz

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 01:09 AM

John, try these

Attached picture 6861039-mach1995.jpg
Posted By: 70 buzz

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 01:10 AM

another shot

Attached picture 6861043-blackout.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 01:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Here's a question, if yours came like that and you were doing a rotisserie paint job, would you duplicate the terrible looking overspray paint above the lip? If you duplicated it in a resto, would you keep a photo of it to show the judges that it came that way? If you didn't know it came that way, would you want yours to look like that because it might have come that way? Same way of thinking about the top of your grill
support. I don't see any overspray on top of the grill
support in the photo...that was your original question. Nobody has acknowledged seeing one with the overspray like yours. Are you really satisfied with having yours that way?

It's not about my car and I am not trying to make a defense for how it was restored. My car will never go to another judged show so it doesn't make a difference to me. It's about how they were painted and from the pictures I've seen so far some were painted awful and some were not. I just don't think there was a standard as there are way too many variations. But again, was there a guy in a pit and a guy on top? From the pictures I've seen it appears that this might have been the case. I'm trying to learn more and more about the procedures which I hope will help others learn something new too.

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 01:56 AM

Here is the biggest problem I have with trying to duplicate my car as it came from the factory which is the same problem a lot of other car owners have. We don't have documented pictures of the cars before someone else got them and refurbished them to their liking. If you look at the attached picture you won't see any black out paint on the radiator support as the previous owner repainted the car and destroyed it's originality. So as hard as I might try there is no way of proving EXACTLY how my car came from the Lynch Road plant. In fact the previous owner painted the fender tag green when he had the car painted.

The only good thing about the photo is I can prove it really came with a painted white top but then again I have the build sheet and fender tag.

Attached picture 6861122-107-0752_IMG(2).JPG

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 02:49 AM

OK, after this, I will finally drop it but I was just asking you to say what you would do if you were going to restore that car? You say not but you have been trying to rationalize the overspray on your "valence" for a couple of months? I think it's a real restoration question that has gone unanswered in two posts now. There are really three questions here for you Grandpa:
• If the red car above was your car, would you restore the overspray above the lip?
• If you could not document that the car came that way,
would you do it that way because it may have been painted
that badly by a careless overpaid union line worker?
• It's not your fault and I may be way off base but why did
someone with Paul Jacobs experience get overspray on your
expensive paint job with no documentation if that is the case,
resulting in you losing a point that may have cost you an
award?

Grandpa, this is not to be critical. It's just to get to the bottom of the points you are trying to make. Everyone posting has answered your questions. The judges at the Mopar Nats had no choice regarding the overspray but definitely could have been more lenient on the battery cable. The radials and wrong wheels on the other car are just wrong. Your car is beautiful. I would not hesitate to enter in judged shows. They are not going to be like Mopar Nats....although, if you take the comments to heart, you could get a perfect score next year. You may win first everytime and you may not but it's all good.
Posted By: Paul Jacobs

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 03:10 AM

After being contacted I thought I would post my reasoning for the oversray. Simple-I did it sloppy like the factory would have and the overspray simply went where it landed. The photo attatched shows just how sloppy the factory was, it's a Lynch Rd Satellite built in the same month as Johns. Since I had no before pics of Johns, I took the liberty of using my own creativity based on what I had seen on other Lynch Rd cars-right or wrong....I do my best to do things based on my 25 plus years of research and documentation. I could post over 10,000 pictures on here of details, but few people would appreciate them-they would rather bicker back and forth with their closed minds and that is why I haven't been on here in months. I'm telling you for a fact, after taking over 100 cars apart, I have seen things that people would NEVER accept was factory, but things were a little different in the real world of production....

Attached picture 6861242-radsupport.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 04:22 AM

Thanks for posting. That is a dramatic example. It's just my preference but I wouldn't want my restored show car to look like that even if I had documentation. John's doesn't look that bad but unfortunately the judges didn't like it.
Posted By: A12

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 04:48 AM

'69 Lynch Road Hemi road runner survivor, a lot of you will know this car from the "survivor tent" at the Nat's for many years......not a very neat job on the black out......

MikeR

Attached picture 6861398-DSC00026.JPG

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 04:50 AM

behind the horn on the other side

Attached picture 6861405-DSC00008.JPG

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 04:52 AM

on the radiator top support

Attached picture 6861410-DSC00010.JPG

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 04:55 AM

on the battery tray support and if you look on the inner fender top that's blackout overspray and the UNBENT (didn't say unpainted ) fender tag was put in place ON TOP of the overspray:

Attached picture 6861411-DSC00012.JPG

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 04:59 AM

overspray under the washer fluid bottle

Attached picture 6861412-DSC00009.JPG

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 05:06 AM

okay maybe this is where or how the partially painted engine color negative battery cable came to be the "norm", note the Hemi valve covers are not ORANGE so does that mean they were not on the engine when it was painted and if you lay the negative cable on top of the open valve/rocker arm area and covered it or avoided painting the open area you might end up with just about that much of the negative battery cable NOT painted.....hmmmmmmmmmmm so maybe this is the "norm" FOR A HEMI that is

MikeR

Attached picture 6861417-DSC00011.JPG
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 11:18 AM

Quote:

I could post over 10,000 pictures on here of details, but few people would appreciate them

Paul, i would for sure and im sure alot of others would to.

Quote:

-they would rather bicker back and forth with their closed minds and that is why I haven't been on here in months.

i totally understand and have felt the same way at times. please try to ignore the bs and continue to share your input, i always appreciate reading it

Quote:

I'm telling you for a fact, after taking over 100 cars apart, I have seen things that people would NEVER accept was factory, but things were a little different in the real world of production....

right on!
Posted By: TONY_DAGOSTINO

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 11:25 AM

Quote:

okay maybe this is where or how the partially painted engine color negative battery cable came to be the "norm", note the Hemi valve covers are not ORANGE so does that mean they were not on the engine when it was painted and if you lay the negative cable on top of the open valve/rocker arm area and covered it or avoided painting the open area you might end up with just about that much of the negative battery cable NOT painted.....hmmmmmmmmmmm so maybe this is the "norm" FOR A HEMI that is

MikeR

mike

hemi valve covers WERE installed during engine painting, but they were masked off, on most orig paint VCs you can see orange overspray usually near the base of the VC.

survivors are great for reference but also need to be scrutinzed as not many are 100% virgins.

the green rr pictured while a great car, has had some service items replaced, like the coil, pretty sure the washer bottle, plug wires, and im guessing from the looks of it the negative cable too. so if thats the case the overspray on the cable wouldnt be good for reference.
Posted By: RestoRick

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 03:53 PM

Quote:

I could post over 10,000 pictures on here of details, but few people would appreciate them-they would rather bicker back and forth with their closed minds and that is why I haven't been on here in months.

Nah... just burn me a DVD with the pics and mail
'em over... I'd appreciate them.

I've seen some pretty radical blackouts myself.
This reminds me of a 71 Hemi Cuda that I duplicated the blackout that hit the front of the hood and actually ran a bit. (showed that the hood was closed when it was sprayed, at least on that example). Likewise, I heard a few comments about it later. Not a big deal to remove if you don't like it...

Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/08/11 03:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I could post over 10,000 pictures on here of details, but few people would appreciate them

Nah... just burn me a DVD with the pics and mail
'em over... I'd appreciate them.

Ditto,,,, 1000%

and while your burning one ,
you have my address
Posted By: C_B5

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/09/11 02:33 AM

The photos posted by 70Buzz are of my car from photos that I posted a few years back to a similiar thread.
It's a 1970 Coronet with about 70,000 original miles all of the blackout is factory original and untouched. I have more detail photos if there's anything specific of interest.

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/09/11 01:28 PM

Here are some photos of original car from an Arizona wrecking yard that is now basically closed.

Attached File
6862998-03-09-200613.pdf  (329 downloads)

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/09/11 01:29 PM

more

Attached File
6862999-03-09-200612.pdf  (254 downloads)

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/09/11 01:31 PM

more2

Attached File
6863001-03-09-200611.pdf  (213 downloads)

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/09/11 01:32 PM

more3

Attached File
6863003-03-09-200610.pdf  (203 downloads)

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/09/11 01:37 PM

more4

Attached File
6863006-03-09-20061.pdf  (210 downloads)

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/11/11 10:07 PM

Quote:

OK, after this, I will finally drop it but I was just asking you to say what you would do if you were going to restore that car? You say not but you have been trying to rationalize the overspray on your "valence" for a couple of months? I think it's a real restoration question that has gone unanswered in two posts now. There are really three questions here for you Grandpa:
• If the red car above was your car, would you restore the overspray above the lip?
• If you could not document that the car came that way,
would you do it that way because it may have been painted
that badly by a careless overpaid union line worker?
• It's not your fault and I may be way off base but why did
someone with Paul Jacobs experience get overspray on your
expensive paint job with no documentation if that is the case,
resulting in you losing a point that may have cost you an
award?

Grandpa, this is not to be critical. It's just to get to the bottom of the points you are trying to make. Everyone posting has answered your questions. The judges at the Mopar Nats had no choice regarding the overspray but definitely could have been more lenient on the battery cable. The radials and wrong wheels on the other car are just wrong. Your car is beautiful. I would not hesitate to enter in judged shows. They are not going to be like Mopar Nats....although, if you take the comments to heart, you could get a perfect score next year. You may win first everytime and you may not but it's all good.

Well , not to keep laboring away on this but I did take my car to a local mopar car show and the car won Best of Show. Afterwards the judges, who were very experienced painters, said they appreciated the fact that my car was not "over restored". They liked the fact that the car had the correct oversprays and items were not masked off to keep the overspray off surrounding items. Now, did my car really have overspray on the grill support from the factory? I don't have a clue and neither did Paul. But based on his experience and endless amount of survivor pictures it could have. But my question remains the same in my original post. I'm not wanting anyone to take my side, just wanting to know how this black out was really applied: from a pit, from above or both. Does anyone really know?????
Posted By: sixbbl69

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/12/11 02:49 AM

you have to win your class at the mopar nats to have any bragging rights but winning best of show at a local small show is a start.

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/12/11 03:47 AM

Some over spray that I've seen is NOT from the blackout on a '69 road runner or '69 GTX, some is actually over spray for the hood stipe application like here on the top of the hood bumper pad an inner fender. I thought that maybe your's was from that but you don't have the hood stripes.

MikeR

Attached picture 6867265-DSC00001.JPG

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/12/11 03:54 AM

Bet my '69 road runner had that over spray from the hood stripes, I should have looked for that back in '69 and checked out the negative battery cable too but I was too busy racing the car, bikes and chasing girls......

Attached picture 6867280-MY69RRwJOANNaa1.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/12/11 04:04 AM

Quote:

the green rr pictured while a great car, has had some service items replaced, like the coil, pretty sure the washer bottle, plug wires, and im guessing from the looks of it the negative cable too. so if thats the case the overspray on the cable wouldnt be good for reference.

My first thought as well

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/12/11 04:47 PM

Quote:

you have to win your class at the mopar nats to have any bragging rights but winning best of show at a local small show is a start.

Any bragging rights go to Paul Jacobs and Troy Angelly , I just wrote the checks.
Posted By: 472 R/T SE

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/21/11 07:36 AM

It was always my understanding there was someone down below that shot the black out. I had a member @ Cuda-Challenger forum that worked at one of the factories until '74 tell me this.

Quote:

Mike,

No the person shooting the paint on to the core support was not in a pit. The paint booth was a down draft system with water rush undernear the car to take away the overspray. Of course they had metal grates on the floor so you wouldn't fall in. Air was force from the ceiling thru filters and it pushed the overspay downward into the water. It work really well, little to no overspray. The main painter would sometimes spray the car with out a mask so he could smoke! The person spraying the core support had bend down/over and shoot it under the slight opened hood (it was on it second latch/catch). Hence, the the 45 degree angle was from bending your arm up at its ellbow. Also, it was pretty much the last thing done before the car went into the oven. This was before ergonomics was even heard of or invented. Of course this was done while the car was moving at 58-64 cars an hour for both of the assembly lines. Hope this helps.
See ya, Snowdoggie

I had always thought F8 was one of those colors that sometimes didn't get the black out?

Anyhoots, there's this:

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/21/11 01:35 PM

So how high were these cars elevated off the grate? Did the painter have to squat down to get his arm under the grille opening or was the body elevated? Thanks for posting the picture. Can you send it to me as an e-mail attachment? bauerconstruction@tds.net

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/21/11 02:11 PM

How long after painting the entire body was the blackout done? Did they bake or cure the body paint first? If they didn't cure the body paint and they made a mistake it would be pretty hard to correct the overspray if it got on something it wasn't supposed to I would think. It seems to me at least as if the body paint was cured/dry before the blackout was done as most of the paint at the edges and under the blackout are glossy?

In this photo from an earlier time (1958, ten years before) they put the sound deadener on long after the car was painted from a pit but at this point there is no way with the grill and bumper on to do blackout.

I wonder if there was an area after paint curing where the blackout was done and not only the front grill area blackout but didn't some cars (Coronet/Super Bee, etc) get blackout behind the rear trunk finish panels and tail lights? When was that done?

Are there other areas that also had blackout besides the front radiator support and tail area?

MikeR

Attached picture 6881687-Photo06.jpg
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/21/11 04:31 PM

Quote:

I had always thought F8 was one of those colors that sometimes didn't get the black out?

Anything is possible, but we had an in-depth discussion a while back on this and nobody could come up with an F8 survivor that didn't get the blackout. Mine certainly had it.

It may have been a plant or date thing, but all I know for sure is that I've seen several F8 survivors WITH the blackout and never one without.

Dave

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/21/11 05:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Anything is possible, but we had an in-depth discussion a while back on this and nobody could come up with an F8 survivor that didn't get the blackout. Mine certainly had it.

It may have been a plant or date thing, but all I know for sure is that I've seen several F8 survivors WITH the blackout and never one without.

Dave

Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/21/11 06:02 PM

Quote:

I wonder if there was an area after paint curing where the blackout was done and not only the front grill area blackout but didn't some cars (Coronet/Super Bee, etc) get blackout behind the rear trunk finish panels and tail lights? When was that done?

Are there other areas that also had blackout besides the front radiator support and tail area?

MikeR

Yes.

On E-bodies the front A-pillar, bottom inside windsheild channel, corners and sides of the rear on seats, under the console, on 1970's the top of the cowl.

It wouldn't surprise me to see blackout under/around certain exterior brightwork and trim on certain cars. Might be a A or C body.

Then you have rocker panel pinch weld blackout. Sometime sprayed, sometimes brushed.

I've seen a 70 T/A with steel wheels and trim ring get black on the rear drums.

The tail panel black out on T/A's and 71 Challenger R/T's and rear rubber bumper cars is organisol type paint with some texture. Different than the radiator support black out.

Some interior black out on my 71 R/T Challenger. Looks like the guy dumped his gun on the footwell areas, I don't see any reason for black there. The black tape is for the console light wire

Attached picture 6882019-DashFullSm.jpg
Posted By: Tervuren

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/27/11 05:35 PM

Quote:

It was always my understanding there was someone down below that shot the black out. I had a member @ Cuda-Challenger forum that worked at one of the factories until '74 tell me this.

Quote:

Mike,

No the person shooting the paint on to the core support was not in a pit. The paint booth was a down draft system with water rush undernear the car to take away the overspray. Of course they had metal grates on the floor so you wouldn't fall in. Air was force from the ceiling thru filters and it pushed the overspay downward into the water. It work really well, little to no overspray. The main painter would sometimes spray the car with out a mask so he could smoke! The person spraying the core support had bend down/over and shoot it under the slight opened hood (it was on it second latch/catch). Hence, the the 45 degree angle was from bending your arm up at its ellbow. Also, it was pretty much the last thing done before the car went into the oven. This was before ergonomics was even heard of or invented. Of course this was done while the car was moving at 58-64 cars an hour for both of the assembly lines. Hope this helps.
See ya, Snowdoggie

Hi everyone,

472 R/T SE sent me a PM and said I should get invovled in the thread. I'm known as Snowdog on the Cuda/Challenger website. Here’s recap of what I posted before on CC’s site.

I don't know if this helps, but I actually worked at Dodge Main back in 76 when they were making the Dodge Aspen and the Plymouth Volare (please, no singing). For a couple of days I filled in on the paint line and actually painted the black on the core support behind the grill. It was not painted from a pit, since the paint booth was a downdraft system and there was rushing water underneath the car to take away the paint overspray. It worked quite well (no pun intended). So if it was painted from a pit (which it wasn't) you would have had to been standing in the water to paint the core support black. Basically, you had to crouch down and spray the core support the best could while the car was moving. You also have to be careful not to spray the underside of the hood, but the downdraft system worked so well that was usually not a problem. This would also explain why the top of the core support is not painted black to well. The black was painted right after the guys painted the cars; I was working right next to them. Granted, it could have been different for Cudas and Challenger, but I don't think the paint line changed that much. To answer someones question on vehicle height, it was on what we used to call a Paint dolly or truck and it was about normal height maybe a little bit higher, 6-10 inches taller. Also, I told only to paint the light colors, but I would paint anything that wasn't black. I though it would look better, so I painted the dark greens and dark brown. So as you can see it varied from person to person. My dad worked there for 30+ years as a pipefitter and my brother worked there in the summer during his college years, so he got to see the real muscle cars in the early 70’s. Hope this helps, Tervuren

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 10/27/11 05:49 PM

Scott, THANKS for taking the time and posting that and welcome to Moparts

MikeR
Posted By: ThermoQuad

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/06/11 02:30 PM

unrestored car

Attached picture 6953442-summer2007085.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/06/11 02:31 PM

next

Attached picture 6953443-summer2007086.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/06/11 02:32 PM

stamp

Attached picture 6953445-summer2007084.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/06/11 02:33 PM

tag

Attached picture 6953447-summer2007087.jpg

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/06/11 11:51 PM

What year & model is this?

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/07/11 12:14 AM

Quote:

As per that fender tag a 1970 Superbee built at Lynch Rd.

Dave

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/07/11 03:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As per that fender tag a 1970 Superbee built at Lynch Rd.

Dave

Thanks, my eyes aren't what they used to be. Something seems strange though; Lynch Road car and the tag is painted but the screws are not. ??????????

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/09/11 02:29 AM

Quote:

next

I think this picture indicates that the black out was sprayed from the top and not just from beneath or an arm thru the grill opening. Couldn't spray the core support like this from beneath. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/09/11 06:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

next

I think this picture indicates that the black out was sprayed from the top and not just from beneath or an arm thru the grill opening. Couldn't spray the core support like this from beneath. Thanks for sharing.

Not the same year car as the one you are doing so I wouldn't use it as a reference.

To your other observation about the painted tag but unpainted screws. Lynch rd tags were hanging in the car, some got paint, some got some paint, some got no paint, they were installed on the inner fender after the paint process which is why the screws are not painted and the tag is not bent.

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 12/09/11 04:21 PM

Here is an example of a 68-70 Mopar from the wrecking yard. I tried to get a general representative example for each basic year group as it was available. I am not saying that it was not possible that a car was shot from the top, but as these pictures show many were shot from the bottom up in a sloppy, haphazard method. This operation is totally dependent on the person applying the paint.

Attached File
6958342-03-09-20065.pdf  (198 downloads)

Re: Black Out Overspray- Any Survivor Pictures out there? - 12/09/11 04:23 PM

one more

Attached File
6958343-03-09-20066.pdf  (193 downloads)

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/09/11 07:40 PM

Quote:

To your other observation about the painted tag but unpainted screws. Lynch rd tags were hanging in the car, some got paint, some got some paint, some got no paint, they were installed on the inner fender after the paint process which is why the screws are not painted and the tag is not bent.

Yep; what John said.

Dave

Re: Black Out Overspray- 70 super bee - 12/09/11 08:29 PM

Yes, I knew that. I was wondering if the tag got painted when the touch up was done on the inner fender yet the screws weren't painted. Maybe the tag was painted from the factory, just an observation. I was always under the impression that "most" cars from the Lynch Road plant did not get that much paint on the fender tag.
© 2024 Moparts Forums