Moparts

INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR

Posted By: GTX fan

INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/20/11 03:32 AM

I need an instrument panel voltage limiter for my '67 Charger. This is the unit that reduces 12vdc to 5vdc to operate the fuel, oil pressure and, temperature gauges. Are OEM units available or do I have to purchase a new printed circuit board unit? Who supplies these, either OEM or reproduction? The reproduction limiter I purchased for this car 2 years ago has quit and I cannot remember where I got it.
Pegged gauges make me
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/20/11 03:39 AM

There are a bunch of them on Ebay. Here is one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-MOPAR...86#ht_500wt_956
Also, Dashworx on this board has a solid state replacement. That is what I used.
Craig
Posted By: Tadams

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/20/11 02:17 PM

I purchased mine from RedFish. He is on the a-bodies site by that name if he isn't on this one. It is a solid state unit, works great and was way less than the one on e-bay.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/22/11 02:56 AM

You can make your own. See:
http://www.mopar1.us/instrument.html
Posted By: redwrydr

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/22/11 03:51 AM

I used the Dash Worx one also, it is great, and it does have a blinking tiny red light to show you that it is working....it gets my vote.....
Posted By: GTX fan

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/22/11 09:06 PM

Thanks folks for your suggestions. I have ordered a new unit from Dash Worx.
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/24/11 04:37 PM

Quote:

You can make your own. See:
http://www.mopar1.us/instrument.html

Only flaw to that circuit is D1. It protects the $5 regulator from a short circuit. Unfortunately, your $200 harness is not protected. It is still a lot better than using a 7805 three terminal regulator that others use. Maybe if you put a 1 A fuse in front of it to protect the harness it would be better.
Craig
Posted By: lahatte

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/25/11 07:07 AM

Wow! Those Dash Worx guys are expensive!
Posted By: az426john

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/25/11 12:35 PM

The other option is to make your own as posted by kentj340.
It is not that hard or expensive to do.
For a first timer it is probably $10.00 in parts, $15.00 in equipment, and 2 hours in time. You just bend open the existing case, follow the directions as posted and put the case back together.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: INSTRUMENT PANEL VOLTAGE LIMITER / REGULATOR - 09/26/11 04:20 AM

Quote:

The other option is to make your own as posted by kentj340.
It is not that hard or expensive to do.
For a first timer it is probably $10.00 in parts, $15.00 in equipment, and 2 hours in time. You just bend open the existing case, follow the directions as posted and put the case back together.

I did that for my 69 charger and the regulator got extremely hot to the touch. Now on the same modification to our challenger, it does not get that hot. Maybe because there is more gauges in the charger than the challenger.
© 2024 Moparts Forums